You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Christmas gift for coach  (Read 6776 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Christmas gift for coach
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »
Okay, I'm giving my coach a cash gift this christmas. I was thinking equivalent to two lessons. Is that in the ballpark?

I was also thinking of a small token gift as well. For a guy would a Burt's Bees Foot Care pack be too girly?

And any tips on the hand over? Cash in a card? an envelope? Just handing it over is too declasse.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Christmas gift for coach
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
I'd put it in a Xmas card and envelope.

(is is coming to Xmas already?? Aarrgh!)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
A foot care pack would be fine if you know the guy likes that kind of thing.  If it's a macho coach, I think he might find it "too girly."

I'll post my annual list of great gifts I've received from skaters:

. Gloves to match my rink jacket. (Old gloves clashed with the new jacket, tsk tsk.)
. iTunes/Amazon gift card for music purchases.
. Blank CD spindle for skater's music.
. CD wallet to carry the current CD's.
. Dunkin' Donuts gift card and travel mug from a student who KNEW I didn't like Starbucks. (gak)
. Framed photo of my own daughters skating.  (Purchased from the competition photographer)
. Hand-made holiday card (in crayon!) from the skater thanking me for being her teacher.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
What about cookies? Are cookies an okay gift for an older adult male coach (married with kids)? He's very skinny.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
I was thinking of ordering customized post-it notes with my coach's name on it. Would it be useful to include phone and email too so it kind of functions like a business card? What do coaches think? :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »
I need an idea for this year: my husband and I are both taking from the same coach...and we are her only adult students. I'm at a loss for this year.  ???  Can't do the wine cause she is pregnant (and being good about it). I'm working on something else for her baby.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:51 AM »
De-alcoholized champagne for New Years's Eve; gift cards for baby supply stores; coupons for "free baby sitting" after the baby arrives; coupons for frozen meals for "after the baby arrives" ...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »
I was thinking of ordering customized post-it notes with my coach's name on it. Would it be useful to include phone and email too so it kind of functions like a business card? What do coaches think? :)
I like that!  I often have to make sure kids tell their parents something and if I give them a note, it just gets shoved in a pocket until the next lesson, lol.  It rarely makes it to the parent.  A sticky note would be good, and you're right: they can use it instead of business cards. Certainly easier to pull out while wearing gloves.   

Check the contact information before you order.  I recently changed my cell number, and I noticed that another coach has a different email on the rink brochure than she uses to correspond with other coaches. 

That's a wonderful idea - thanks for the suggestion!

De-alcoholized champagne for New Years's Eve
We toast the new year with sparkling cider or juice every year! 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »

. Gloves to match my rink jacket. (Old gloves clashed with the new jacket, tsk tsk.)

This made me laugh. llol  Unfortunately my coach already has matching gloves.  :)
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
In Florida we have this band called energy armour (supposed to help balance and flexibility when you're wearing it, it looks like a livestrong bracelet), and my coach has been mentioning buying one for weeks now since I bought one, so I am getting her a hot pink one for christmas. :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
Well, I settled on what to get coach. I found these ipod compatible glove--they're just knit gloves but they have holes knit into the fabric on the thumb, forefinger and middlefinger. You want to text, put the tip of the glove finger, it just pops back and exposes the finger so you can text or tap your ipod, whatever.

Oh, plus cash.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:16:48 AM »
I need an idea for this year: my husband and I are both taking from the same coach...and we are her only adult students. I'm at a loss for this year.  ???  Can't do the wine cause she is pregnant (and being good about it). I'm working on something else for her baby.

Our liquor outlet does gift cards.  I got one of those the year that my coach was preggers.

This year I am buying my dance guy windshield wipers.   He drives some crazy roads at night and I noticed his windows were all streaky.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
I'm in a dilemma. :( I didn't even think about a gift for my coach- my family only gives gifts to one or two non-family members- but my coach gave me a gift today so I want to find something for her, too. But I need to find it by Thursday.

My mom had heard about a giftcard for a shopping center that's 2 minutes away from the rink, which would have been perfect since the shopping center has tons of places to eat lunch, movies, regular shopping etc. But I looked it up and it turned out to be a Visa-type card, which is basically money.
I don't know what coffee places she likes. Or anything. :bash

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »
A christmas ornament is always a good idea, Sierra.... my coach gave me one today for christmas because it reminded her of New York. :) I got her an Energy Armour bracelet because she'd been talking about getting one for herself. :)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
it turned out to be a Visa-type card, which is basically money.
I don't know what coffee places she likes. Or anything. :bash

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially since you don't know what she likes.  I still have an AmEx gift card a student gave me a while ago, because I haven't found the right thing to use it for yet.  I want it to be something that will last a long time, so I'll feel good every time I use it.
My glass is half full :)