You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tired after skating - overexertion or not?  (Read 5076 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Tired after skating - overexertion or not?
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Lately I find that I've been getting really tired after skating. I would have to take a long nap when I get home -- if not, the next day I am just drained.

So I wonder if I'm just overexerting myself or if this isn't normal. I skate 2-hour sessions, 2x a week. I do get my water breaks, but no long breaks.  Here's my basic routine:

1. 15 minutes -- light stroking warmup
2. 1.5 hours -- dance practice
3. 15 minutes -- light stroking cooldown
4. 15-30 minutes -- stretching

For dance, I start with ISI Dance 1 patterns, then progressing to Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango. I usually do 2-3 sequences of the pattern, followed by a 30-second to 1-minute break. Then I do another set.

Am I doing too much, or am I just getting tired too soon? Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: Tired after skating - overexertion or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
You are doing a lot but it should be manageable.  Have you just started working this hard at it?

I wuod have a look at your diet though.  Are you eating enough?  I would tend to think you aren't getting enough fuel from food to sustain the energy needed for this amount of skating. 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
You are doing a lot but it should be manageable.  Have you just started working this hard at it?

I wuod have a look at your diet though.  Are you eating enough?  I would tend to think you aren't getting enough fuel from food to sustain the energy needed for this amount of skating. 

Thanks SynchKat!

It's been a month since I've worked on this routine. My endurance has gone up a lot (I remember the first time I had a Dutch Waltz marathon for 30 minutes, I didn't have any energy left to do one-foot glides). Now I'm able to do more, but I still end up tired.

As for my diet: I don't really know how much is enough. I don't exactly have a diet plan -- I just eat until I feel full. My diet consists of rice, meat, and vegetables in equal quantities, more or less. No junk food, no sugary sweets or drinks. I've never been an athletic person so I'm not aware of how diet should be managed. Should it be a conscious decision to eat more, or should I just eat until I feel full?

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
I am not a diet expert, but you might want to make sure to have a good amount of protein before and after skating.  I find usually if you have a low like you are describing it is diet related. 

I have a hard time eating in the morning and if I don't force myself to eat before a morning session I feel horrible afterwards.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
Do you eat soon after your skating sessions? I find when I do long sessions like that, I need to snack afterwards otherwise I don't have enough energy to get through to the next meal.

It may also be that your stamina is still catching up with the intensity of your skating sessions. I find dance (and moves) is more tiring than jumping and spinning, as you're moving a lot more.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
One more thought, how long has this been going on?  I find at certain times of the month I have such low energy similar to what you mentioned. 

Maybe consider taking a Gatorade or Powerade out to the ice with you to drink as you skate.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »
One more thought, how long has this been going on?  I find at certain times of the month I have such low energy similar to what you mentioned. 

Maybe consider taking a Gatorade or Powerade out to the ice with you to drink as you skate.

Ah, if you're talking about *that* time of the month, apparently it's not a factor. :p

fsk8r and SynchKat: Thanks for your suggestions! I don't eat right after skating (I usually wait an hour or so) because somehow skating makes me lose my appetite -- could be the culprit. I'll also try electrolytic drinks next time I skate. Hopefully things will get better!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
Listen to your body.  That has never failed me.

Skating takes it out of you, worse then swimming.  It's weight lifting, balance, stamina, and coordination.  It's a complete workout.

Eating well (fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and less fatty meats) is very important.  I've gone almost vegan these past two weeks, and feel the greatest I have in a long time.

If you still feel tired, consider seeing a doctor.  Could be thyroid or other imbalance.  Listen to your body.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
If you aren't getting any carbs before/during your workout, that could account for a LOT of what you are experiencing - higher intensity workouts/activities require fuel (carbs) or you will end up depleting your body's glycogen reserves, and it can easily effect you in to the next day depending on how quickly (or not quickly) your body can recover.  The suggestion to take gatorade or a similar electrolyte replacement with you instead of water is a good one, just make sure it's not low carb or sugar free.  A small snack before you get on the ice could also help (I normally have a small banana on my way to the rink).

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
I agree.  I find that sipping on Gatorade (diluted 1/2 strength) is very helpful for keeping my hydration and blood sugar levels up while I skate.  I also make sure I eat something with carbohydrate in it within an hour or two before skating and something with protein within an hour after skating.