You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tip for a parent learning techniques  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Tip for a parent learning techniques
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
hi all
what is a good reference source for a parent to learn various elements techniques (since i am clueless and all jumps, etc look the same). I am looking to, perhaps, detailed descriptions of how to perform basic jumps, spins, etc. I.e.- what do coaches teach, look for: shoulders, hips rotations, leg positions, etc. etc.

<--trying to be a bit more knowleagable and helpful to my dd.

thanks in advance.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: Tip for a parent learning techniques
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
I would suggest searching what you want to learn about in YouTube.  You can often find instructional videos explaining techinique and elements there.  It is tough reading skating descriptions without a skating background.  My husband who is a non skater is often lost when I talk about skating leg and edges and curves and circles. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
Does the coach speak to you at all during your daughter's lessons?
Perhaps you could ask then what she should be focussing on when she practices?
If you're told that for example she needs to get her leg higher when she does her spiral, you can remind her of that when she practices it and provide the feedback when you see improvement.
In that way you can use her coach to educate you about skating.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Does the coach speak to you at all during your daughter's lessons?
Perhaps you could ask then what she should be focussing on when she practices?
If you're told that for example she needs to get her leg higher when she does her spiral, you can remind her of that when she practices it and provide the feedback when you see improvement.
In that way you can use her coach to educate you about skating.

i feel i am askign too many very technical questions as it is. as for the comments from coach- she says everything is fine as my dd is just learning. she just tells us she needs more muscle to jump higher. but even if she said that. let's say, my dd needs a leg higher...i would need a lot of detaisl to know what exactl is higher. and if its not high, then i need to know what is causing it so its not just a :"get your leg higher" comment whihc is largely empty in substance.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
i feel i am askign too many very technical questions as it is. as for the comments from coach- she says everything is fine as my dd is just learning. she just tells us she needs more muscle to jump higher. but even if she said that. let's say, my dd needs a leg higher...i would need a lot of detaisl to know what exactl is higher. and if its not high, then i need to know what is causing it so its not just a :"get your leg higher" comment whihc is largely empty in substance.

As a parent who is relatively new to the sport, I wouldn't worry about asking too many questions. You're allowed to want to understand. And it takes time. Your understanding of things will grow as your dd progresses.
But to continue the spiral example, you need to know that the free leg needs to be higher than hip height and then assess where your dd's leg is. If lower, tell her to focus on lifting it higher. You don't always need to know the mechanics of how to get things higher. A lot of it is developing the muscle strength to lift the leg and boot higher, so it's practice. But it's helpful as a skater to have the feedback of what you're actually doing relative to the end goal.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
thanks. i will try to do that. youtube videos are hard for me to udnerstand. i would benefit more from reading the detailed descriptions. will scour internet a bit more, then.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:08:15 PM »
the subscription video site icoachskating.com is very helpful for beginner freestyle elements. there are videos on all types of spins and jumps. the last time I checked they had free trial.

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
the subscription video site icoachskating.com is very helpful for beginner freestyle elements. there are videos on all types of spins and jumps. the last time I checked they had free trial.

thanks

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »
no problem with asking questions!!  although there is a fine line between being a helping, knowledgeable skating parent and an over controlling parent that screams instructions from the stand. the sport frowns upon the latter :)

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »
One rink I skated/taught at banned parents from sitting in the stands because of what Jjane described.  We had some really bad ones.

You could ask the coach to just make a list of things you could remind your daughter of or have her work on off the ice.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
"We had some really bad ones"

I am responding to this comment, and not to the thread's question. 

I've seen some bad skating parents too.  They get all too wrapped up in their child's skating.  I guess it's because they have nothing better to do during the hour long skating lessons.  They are watching their kid, and the other kids.  And, they are all comparing and wondering if the kid is doing enough.  Top the parent's insecurities with the fact that skating is very hard.  Skills are not mastered in a week or a month.  Rather, it takes several months to a year or so to just "kind of" do it.  These parents have no clue as to how hard figure skating is.  When their child doens't seem to be progressing, they let it be known.  All a kid wants to do is to please the parent.  Shot down.  Add to that that coaches are tough and have to criticize for their job. . . and you get a burnt out kid with no self esteem. 

So, my advice is to be interested and supportive of your child's skating.  As an adult, I can take just one or two of my coach's many pionters to work on.  So, don't overload the child.  Just a few things that the coach wants improved.  Understand what the child is learning. See Youtube, skating books, etc.  Buy some skates for yourself.  Skating will not kill you, and in fact, it will stregthen your appreciation for what your daughter is learning.  And remember, leave the coaching to the coach.  You job is to rebuild your child.  Tell her what she did right and what looked better/more beautiful. 

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »
Could you take lessons as well? I originally took lessons because my son who was then 6 or so wouldn't use his practice session that came with the lesson cost without me on the ice with him.  I realized that 1) It wasn't that much more expensive for me to just take lessons than pay for the public session each time  2) I would actually know what the kids were supposed to learn. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Could you take lessons as well? I originally took lessons because my son who was then 6 or so wouldn't use his practice session that came with the lesson cost without me on the ice with him.  I realized that 1) It wasn't that much more expensive for me to just take lessons than pay for the public session each time  2) I would actually know what the kids were supposed to learn.

+1,000,000

I was going to suggest this as well. It will probably get you more cred with the coach if you're learning to skate too than if you're just being a typical 'skating mom'. 
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
I was thinking similar.  It would also help to know what skills are really difficult to do.  Sometimes things look easier than they are. 

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
+1,000,000

I was going to suggest this as well. It will probably get you more cred with the coach if you're learning to skate too than if you're just being a typical 'skating mom'.

<---skating dad asking questions, in this case :P + taking lessons, although not really what I was looking for in terms of my inquiry.
 icoachskating.com suggestion was GR8 and very useful.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
<---skating dad asking questions, in this case :P + taking lessons, although not really what I was looking for in terms of my inquiry.

If you go to your profile, you can set your gender to "Male", otherwise, a name that starts out as "Misy" is going to be misread as "Missy".  ;)

Glad you're taking lessons.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »

great to hear that

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
If you go to your library or a bookstore, look for books on basic skating skills.  John Misha Petkavich and Carlo Fassi wrote good ones that you might be able to find on Amazon.  I like the Fassi one because of the detailed drawings but it's old and out of print.  Kristi Yamaguchi collaborated on "Figure Skating for Dummies" that could be helpful.