You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

How much time did you take between your Pre-Bronze and Bronze MITF/FS tests?

Less than 3 months
2 (16.7%)
3 to 6 months
2 (16.7%)
6 months to 1 year
2 (16.7%)
1 year to 1.5 years
2 (16.7%)
1.5 to 2 years
0 (0%)
2 years or more
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Time Between Pre-Bronze & Bronze  (Read 6923 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Time Between Pre-Bronze & Bronze
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
How long did you wait between these two tests and why?  I'm taking the Pre-Bronze in August and thinking of what date to target for Bronze.  I'd love to hear how long you gave yourself in between tests, why, and - if you could do it over again - would you change anything?
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Time Between Pre-Bronze & Bronze
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
Moves or freestyle? Or dance? ;)

Oh I see it's actually in the poll question. I think it depends on whether the skater works toward the test as soon as s/he is technically ready. Testing was not in my plans until very recently, and I am skating about bronze level, learned majority of the pre-bronze and bronze moves here and there. That could mean wrapping up both levels within a short period IF (big IF) I could put in the practice and coaching.

I may attempt both moves in the same test session IF things go well. If I do take the FS tests, I am guessing less than 3 months gap. Dance... will take very long!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about moves. For me it was a year and a half before I began working on my bronze moves after passing pre-bronze, and then I failed them in February. Who knows if I will pass when I test Friday.

But I was competing a lot and happy enough staying in pre-bronze events. Skating bronze in my area is pretty competitive; many people have been at that level for a long time.

I don't think you should worry about how long other people took; there are a lot of factors, including whether you want to learn free skate moves and pass that pre-bronze test. It wouldn't hurt for you to start working on bronze moves as soon as you pass pre-bronze. I wish I had, honestly. But don't feel like you have to learn them and test again ASAP.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »
A bit less than 6 months from prebronze to bronze moves.  I have no specific plans to take the bronze freeskate, because I'd rather spend time on moves than on fixing my spins.

Really need a poll for each discipline; I feel the gap between prebronze freeskate and bronze freeskate is much bigger than the gap between prebronze moves and bronze moves. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »
I feel the gap between prebronze freeskate and bronze freeskate is much bigger than the gap between prebronze moves and bronze moves.  

That's how I feel too. Variance of time to master spins and jumps is bigger than moves, adults or kids alike.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »
Well I will FINALLY be taking both of mine together next month (assuming they actually do schedule the test session that is rumored).. but I've been ready to take those two moves tests for probably two years now.  What was holding me back was paying for USFSA membership when I didn't plan to compete and likely wasn't going to be ready to test silver moves (I had a mental block on the back 3's and "wouldn't" do them, which I am over now, and right now I feel like I could at least attempt the test this year, if not actually pass).  Membership is expensive.. so I didn't want to join unless I knew I'd have a productive year and make it worthwhile :)

I'll be testing bre-bronze FS when I do the moves just to get it out of the way.. and likely bronze FS in August or in the fall.  Silver FS will come in the spring if/when I pass my silver moves.  I'm working on a lot of the gold moves (I love the backward double 3 pattern) so that once I get past silver those will probably just need some polish before they are ready to test.  Really the only gold patterns I struggle with are the brackets and the BO/BI 8, the rest are fairly solid.  I wouldn't be shocked if I am ready to test gold moves within the year.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
Mine was just over a year.   I think I was off the ice for awhile due to a knee injury between these two tests though. I've been off the ice due to an injury so many times it is tough to remember.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
Really need a poll for each discipline; I feel the gap between prebronze freeskate and bronze freeskate is much bigger than the gap between prebronze moves and bronze moves. 
That's interesting; I'm completely the opposite. Looking at the list of required elements for bronze freeskate, I feel I could have taken that test last summer (16 months after passing pre-bronze free skate) and had a fairly good chance of passing. But being able to do power 3-turns without putting my foot down prematurely took forever.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »

That's how I feel too. Variance of time to master spins and jumps is bigger than moves, adults or kids alike.

nick and jane, does the fact that the spins and jumps have to be set to music with transitions on Bronze FS play into your belief that the PB-B FS gap is greater than the MITF gap or is it that the spins and jumps are that much more difficult to master well? 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
I think forums members feel the bronze moves are relatively passable with fair amount of practice. Silver on the other hand...

For average adult onset skaters, sit spin and loop/flip/lutz may cause problems for the bronze fs test. I don't know about transitions because I haven't done them properly in programs yet. What is the general expectation for transitions at the bronze level?

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
I think forums members feel the bronze moves are relatively passable with fair amount of practice. Silver on the other hand...

For average adult onset skaters, sit spin and loop/flip/lutz may cause problems for the bronze fs test. I don't know about transitions because I haven't done them properly in programs yet. What is the general expectation for transitions at the bronze level?

I agree-Silver Moves seem impossible at this moment in my life... :(  I'm giving it a 3-4 year timeframe before I might be close to testing (and hoping that they take off some of the moves lol!)

For the Bronze FS-the loop and backspin were my undoing the first time around, barely passed the 2nd (there is an expectation that adult skaters in my area will not have a deep-enough sit. Too many knee/back/hip problems (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
My reasoning was that the prebronze freeskate is much easier than the prebronze moves.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
And the bronze FS is harder than bronze moves IMO.

Curious what percentage of kids gave up recreational skating lessons when they get stuck on sit spins or axels. FS4/5 in ISI is a big killer. And sadly there is not much alternative to keep the kids skating.

OTOH adults tend to have more tenacity to stick it out even after hitting the plateau.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
I just looked at my Moves test history - wow it was 5 years between Pre-Bronze and Bronze.  I took the Adult Bronze Figures test in between -

But I had a lot of injuries, etc., during that period of time but I remember wanting my Bronze Moves to be PERFECT (and still they weren't).

Most of the adult skaters at my rinks never have made it past the Bronze to the Silver.  I've never really worked on it and now it is completely out because of those edge spirals.  I am not planning to kill myself for that.  it would be nice to have a good 8-step mohawk and the back threes but I don't have much motivation since I don't do freestyle.

I would rather work on Dance and Figures...
 :angel:

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
I don't know about transitions because I haven't done them properly in programs yet. What is the general expectation for transitions at the bronze level?

The 2011-2012 Test Book states:

The candidate must give a reasonably good performance showing a command of the following technical elements, a sense of speed, flow and depth of edge.
The fundamentals of free skating must be demonstrated, although not necessarily mastered.

Jumps:
1. At least three different single jumps of which one must be a Salchow and
one must be a toe loop
2. One jump combination consisting of a waltz jump and a toe loop (no turn
or change of foot between jumps)

Spins:
1. One-foot upright spin (minimum four revolutions in position)
2. One-foot backspin, entry optional (minimum three revolutions in position)
3. Sit spin (minimum three revolutions in position)

Steps: Connecting moves, steps and edges throughout the program

Extra elements may be added without penalty.

Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 1:50 to music of the skater’s choice.

Two different elements may be retried, if necessary
Passing total: 5.0   Passing average: 2.5
Judging panel required: Three bronze or higher rank singles/pairs judges, or one
silver or higher rank singles/pairs judge.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
Steps: Connecting moves, steps and edges throughout the program

Thanks, coincidentally I just looked it up myself too :)

But what is the general expectation? For example, would it be OK with mostly back crossovers with one gliding maneuver and two three turns here and there?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
For example, would it be OK with mostly back crossovers with one gliding maneuver and two three turns here and there?
:)

Yes... effectively that's what my current bronze program has in terms of connections... back crossovers, some turns, and I do have a somewhat complicated footwork sequence in the middle that I am revising (mostly because of the test requirements changing in September.. I can cut out one spin, move the other spin and do more inbetween the other elements, so I am), but I'm not actually making it easier, it keeps getting harder, but it flows better now, but it's a bit above and beyond what is expected/required.  Pretty much I think all they want is that you do more than simply stroke between the elements.. you need to have at least a little flow and presence on the ice, not just "skate skate skate, jump, skate skate skate, spin, etc".

Skate@Delaware - I actually asked a judge about my sit spin because I have an injury now that seems stable except it hurts only on sit spins... a "recognizable sit position" is all that is required.. it doesn't have to be as low as they expect from the kids.  Which means that mine as low as I can easily get it (without a lot of pain) is probably fine, if I push it a little more that's better, but for the test it may not really matter.  I also asked about the possibility of doing a back sit if my left knee happens to be especially cranky the day I test (and I do run throughs with my program both ways so if I need to make the change it's fine), and I was told that since forward/back is not specified in the test, I could do it and it shouldn't be a problem - it may surprise the judges since they wouldn't expect a back sit in a bronze test, but there's no reason it wouldn't satisfy the sit spin requirement.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
Thanks, coincidentally I just looked it up myself too :)

But what is the general expectation? For example, would it be OK with mostly back crossovers with one gliding maneuver and two three turns here and there?
We put a mini footwork sequence, less than half ice. But overall I only did 3 turns and mohawks, and pretty arms with one foot glides.  You do not need to do anything fancy. I was complimented on ice coverage with just these small transitions. 

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
I had a little over 2 years between my Pre-Bronze moves test and Bronze.  But I moved across the country during that time, decided to learn a program and try competing, then decided to learn an artistic program, etc.  After moving, I had to adjust, find a rink, find a coach, etc.  I focused more on learning programs and competing for awhile then got serious about Bronze moves before the test was changed.

I wish I could try Bronze FS but my sit spin is terrible.  I don't even think it's recognizable sit position.  And now I am injured so I can't even work on it.  It's frustrating.  Working on Silver moves - those are a few years away if ever.  I would dearly love to pass Gold moves someday but I'm not even looking at the patterns for now.  Silver is challenge enough!  I think I am a slow learner and it frustrates me because I'm a fast learner for everything else.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
I took Pre-Bronze MITF and Freestyle in Aug, then Bronze MITF and Freestyle the following Jan, so 5 months later.  Silver MITF were the following Oct, so 10 months after the Bronze.   I have not tested Silver Freestyle - the camel is definitely holding me back. 

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
Silver MITF were the following Oct, so 10 months after the Bronze.

You did yours before the spirals changed, right?  If you were taking the current test do you think that would have changed your timeline?

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
You did yours before the spirals changed, right?  If you were taking the current test do you think that would have changed your timeline?

I took the test after the change.  The spirals were not the hardest part for me- it was the back inside threes.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I took Pre-Bronze moves in 2003, got a retry on Bronze Moves in 2004, and passed in 2005. I also passed the first two dances in 2005 so 2004 must have been the year I switched coaches. The adult track was still pretty new in 2003-2004 and my coach had never heard of it when I took PB moves--I did it on my own, although she was willing to sign the forms. Our judges were still judging at the same level they did for the kids back then.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
Skate@Delaware - I actually asked a judge about my sit spin because I have an injury now that seems stable except it hurts only on sit spins... a "recognizable sit position" is all that is required.. it doesn't have to be as low as they expect from the kids.  Which means that mine as low as I can easily get it (without a lot of pain) is probably fine, if I push it a little more that's better, but for the test it may not really matter.  I also asked about the possibility of doing a back sit if my left knee happens to be especially cranky the day I test (and I do run throughs with my program both ways so if I need to make the change it's fine), and I was told that since forward/back is not specified in the test, I could do it and it shouldn't be a problem - it may surprise the judges since they wouldn't expect a back sit in a bronze test, but there's no reason it wouldn't satisfy the sit spin requirement.

I had thought about doing a back-sit as well, since that leg is stronger and not affected by my back. Maybe I'll work on it for competitions  ;D
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 06:28:16 PM »
I passed my pre-bronze moves test last summer, and I hope I'll be able to take my bronze moves test some time this summer. The coach still hasn't pronounced me ready though. I haven't tested freestyle yet; this is my next goal.
     As for silver moves, they are definitely very hard, but aren't they beautiful! So I can't wait to start working on them. Passing thenm, however, is a different issue.