You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Improv on Ice  (Read 2143 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Improv on Ice
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
I hope this is the correct place to post this! My rink is throwing an Improv on Ice exhibition next week and I signed up to do it. All I know is it is Disney music. My question is, what should I bring to prepare regarding clothing and such, and should I bring props?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Improv on Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »
I hope this is the correct place to post this! My rink is throwing an Improv on Ice exhibition next week and I signed up to do it. All I know is it is Disney music. My question is, what should I bring to prepare regarding clothing and such, and should I bring props?

Any rules about using props or costumes? Some comps prohibit props or limit what you can use ... In terms of costumes - get a pair of Mickey ears (that covers SO much) and some type of sparkly chiffon stuff that you can swatch around to create a princess dress or harem pants or that ... a sequiny t-shirt in red (Mickey colours) and maybe sparkly stretch pants - all would give you a fair bit of latitude to cover a lot of Disney-esque stuff. With New years just done, I see a lot of sequin covered stuff being cleared out dirt cheap at the Target/Walmart stores, and the Disney Store itself usually has pretty hefty sales on too ..

Offline davincisop

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
No rules. I decided though for the sake of simplicity and that I'm coming straight from work I'm wearing all black and am going to put the focus into my hair and makeup. We are getting music 15 minutes beforehand and I didn't want to worry about accessorizing and trying to look a certain part. Especially since its an exhibition for fun and I only own one nice skating dress that's currently in my hometown with my mom.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
I wasn't able to get off work on time due to my boss not starting something we needed done until 4. And work comes before skating so I didn't get off until 6 and it started at 5:45. At 6 I was finally driving over stressed bc I was late and knew I was when one of the skaters called and said I could still skate or give up my spot and I was so stressed and didn't know how it was going to be run that I gave up my spot.

When the girl that replaced me came on our SD announced her as a last minute replacement and apparently had no idea I was in the audience bc I came to watch and essentially said that she was a replacement for a girl that dropped out last minute and we are glad she did. I was not the only one to catch that either, the coaches next to me as well as a friend all looked at me when he said that and they knew I was the one that had to drop out. All of them said it was rude and mean of him to say whether he meant it or not.

I'm still beyond livid and I've wanted to cry for hours. I feel horrible because of that comment.

I will be talking to my boss regarding him. That was an unnecessary comment and he's got a lot of favoritism going on that I do not agree with.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:13:04 AM »
Lots of hugs.......

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »
Some people should never be handed a microphone.  :bash  Flippant, off-the-cuff remarks never come out right.

Could it be that, maybe, the SD meant it to be a welcome for the substitute skater and it just came out as an insult towards you?  ("We're so glad to be able to watch this young lady skate..." sort of thing?) 

I think you need to make the your boss/the SD aware of the announcement and say that you were very offended.  Ask for the entry fee back since you were made to feel so unwelcome.

Too bad you couldn't have asked to skate last, so you would have had time to compose yourself and get in the game.  You were already dressed, you just needed to dump the stress.  Then this ugly nonsense wouldn't have happened.  :hug002

(((DaVinciSoprano)))
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
Iour SD announced her as a last minute replacement and apparently had no idea I was in the audience bc I came to watch and essentially said that she was a replacement for a girl that dropped out last minute and we are glad she did

Aww...hugs...

I can imagine how bad you must feel, but perhaps it wasn't an insult to you at all. The way I see it (putting myself in the SD's shoes), I would be worried about what to do with one vacant slot, so I am thankful that somebody volunteered to perform during that slot because that saves me the trouble of rescheduling. Unfortunately, his words were ill-chosen, especially since you were in the audience at that time.

Maybe you can talk to the SD about it to clear/patch things up. It could help you deal with the frustration and stress you went through.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
The SD may not even know you couldn't get off of work. someone probably ran up to her and said "DavinciSoprano cancelled." You know how it is at comps, the SD is too busy to really hold long discussions. She might have even learned by text message. Cut her some slack.

As for the comment "we're glad she did." It probably meant that they were able to find someone to take the slot at the last moment. People are having conversations in their head about what they're about to say when making announcements (bec. they're nervous) and it makes sense to them, but may not mean what the speaker means to say. It takes a LOT of training to make off the cuff announcements that are a. short, b. sensible, c. say what's meant to be said. I bet your SD doesn't have that kind of training.

Go to the SD, tell her that "Sorry, I couldn't get off work in time for the Improv. I'm glad you were able to find a replacement at the last minute. That was good organizational planning on your part." You left her hanging (it wasn't your fault) but she still needs some affirmation that she did a good job, which it sounds like she did. In your twenties it's time to put on the big girl armor and learn to roll with the punches. In the big girl world, no one cares if your feelings are hurt.  My experience is to never tell anyone at anytime they hurt your feelings, unless they are a close personal friend.

Man, I can't tell you how many personal and professional disappointments I've had in my 60 years of life. I don't put much emotional investment into stuff like that any more. People say what they say. Roll with it, baby, roll.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
Could it be that, maybe, the SD meant it to be a welcome for the substitute skater and it just came out as an insult towards you?  ("We're so glad to be able to watch this young lady skate..." sort of thing?) 

That is how I read it as well...  Skater x canceled but skater Z is taking her place and we are glad she did!

I'm sure they didn't mean they were glad YOU couldn't be there.