You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Progression time  (Read 2190 times)

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
Progression time
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
I was wondering what everyone thinks is the the normal progression time for a young skater. What I mean is how long does it usually take a skater to be completely finished with all levels of LTS? How long until a skater is doing axels and doubles. I realize it does vary depending on factors such as ice time, etc..

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Progression time
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
There are a lot of variables, as you know.  I would say that most competitive skaters don't formally finish all the levels of learn-to-skate before they switch to private lessons.

My daughter started skating at age 5, did three sessions of learn-to-skate, and then switched to privates.  She took her Pre-Preliminary tests when she was 6, which was probably too early as she didn't yet have all her single jumps.  She didn't have a consistent axel until she was about 9.  She went on to pass her Senior tests - MIF at age 13, free at age 17.  I'd say her progression was fairly typical, but we'll have to see what others say.

I had a 12-year-old private student, doing just recreational skating.  Skating just once a week, we got through Basic 8 in 3 years.  I imagine it would have taken a lot longer for her to do that had she been in group classes instead of privates.  Kids who practice in between lessons will obviously progress faster.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
I think there are a lot of factors - time on the ice, resources, equipment, athleticism, and coaching - than can cause huge variations.  We did not do a program called LTS, dd did ISI levels and then her other rink had their own levels so I don't know how to compare....

Add in the idea of what a child can do vs what they can do competitively.  You might hear of 6-7 year olds doing Axels, but they may be cheated and may not competition ready until they are 8-9.

Dd started skating one class a week at age 5 and a half and then after 3-4 months she kept the class and added a private coach a second day a week.  A year after that she added a second class and a 2nd day with her coach.  Now she takes 4 classes a week and has two coaching sessions a week.  She has been skating 3 and a half years and is now landing slightly cheated double sal's and has her Axel ready for her next competition.

She loves her classes - she skates with very talented older girls and it pushes her in a positive way.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
There is no standard progression; plus, you have to qualify what "having axels and doubles" means. There are doubles ... and then there are doubles :) both in terms of quality and which ones are landed.

Frankly, I know a number of skaters who, after 10 years on the ice with privates all along, who still don't land a 2F or a 2LZ; but who have great spins, have passed all of their dances, moves in the field, etc.  All skaters are different. I also know a few who took 8 or 9 years to get their doubles ... and then the triples came in a matter of months - whereas some of the kids who got their doubles in a few years never land a triple!  Some skaters, weirdly enough, land doubles but still struggle with a single axel ...

Anyways, I would suggest that you not even think on these lines. Nothing drives a parent and a skater crazier than getting panicky about moving "too slowly".  Some of the "fastest" moving skaters I know are now well behind skaters who moved more slowly; I've seen skaters come out of "nowhere" in terms of getting all of their jumps very quickly, and others who are top skaters who took significantly longer to get their jumps and spins.

There are too many variables in terms of basic talent, coaching, injuries, puberty, etc etc etc.  And nobody can predict who will be a "star" skater based on progression at young ages.  I look back at some of the kids who whipped through LTS ... and who are now far behind some of the kids who took longer to get through ...

Oh yes - my DD didn't land her axel until 10 years after she started LTS - coached privately by a top coach for the past 8 years, training 5 days a week, year around.  Same week she landed her 2S for the first time.  Now, she's close, 3 months later, to a 2L, has landed a 2F, and a 2T and nearly a 2LZ - which is interesting!  She also has some of the best spins in our club ... a year after having the worst ones ... it just goes to show, she took longer than the other kids, but, is now catching up nicely - and in the interim, developed some fantastic skating skills and presentation skills ... my other kid had an axel that came and went for years ... same with the doubles ... now lands triples ...

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
Sk8tmum - I do think you should write a book for parents of ice skaters. You have such a wealth of experience and plan to show your post to my 12 1/2 year old daughter who (post 15 inch growth over 3 years) has the longest, skinniest arms and legs which go all over the place and who jumps wise is probably not landing a lot more than she did 18 months ago. She still loves to skate and lives to skate and is determined to continue! But - some of the kids landing similar jumps to her a year ago are working on double axel and with the game playing that sometimes takes place betwen kids (?parental behaviour) it would be so easy for her to get discouraged....

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
There are too many variables in terms of basic talent, coaching, injuries, puberty, etc etc etc.  And nobody can predict who will be a "star" skater based on progression at young ages.  I look back at some of the kids who whipped through LTS ... and who are now far behind some of the kids who took longer to get through ...

Oh yes - my DD didn't land her axel until 10 years after she started LTS - coached privately by a top coach for the past 8 years, training 5 days a week, year around.  Same week she landed her 2S for the first time.  Now, she's close, 3 months later, to a 2L, has landed a 2F, and a 2T and nearly a 2LZ - which is interesting!  She also has some of the best spins in our club ... a year after having the worst ones ... it just goes to show, she took longer than the other kids, but, is now catching up nicely - and in the interim, developed some fantastic skating skills and presentation skills ... my other kid had an axel that came and went for years ... same with the doubles ... now lands triples ...

I agree! My daughter seems to be progressing slower then some, but is definately progressing. She has fewer lessons then some of the other kids and likely a little less ice time. Not to mention puberty threw a giant wrench into her skating life. :) She has grown so much in the last year and a half! She went from this compact little girl to this lanky girl who had to learn how to adjust to her much longer legs. In the meantime, her sit spin has gotten quite good as welll as a few other things she does. All kids progress at different paces. There is a skater who started skating a year anda 1/2 ago and is now landing axels and working on doubles. She has quite a few spins and has progressed very fast in a short period of time. Part of it is her determination and the fact that she skates a lot. The other part id natural talent. She picked skating up quickly and thus progressed quickly. Her progression is starting to level out now. She is still progressing, but not as rapidly as she was before. There are so many factors that come into play with progression. Natural talent helps, but so does ice time, lesson time, attitude and so on.

I am not sure which is better... rapid progression or "slow and steady". Somewhere in between might be best...lol! Everyone learns at their own pace.