You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Unpublicized workshops or seminars ?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Unpublicized workshops or seminars ?
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
I feel very little is publicized about small local seminars or workshops. My rink's adult workshop usually only has our own skaters attending.

Our forum's awesome Moderator and some kind members often pass on what they receive in the email or conferences (thank you so very much), but apparently not all rinks submit information. It's difficult to believe with the amount of rinks in Chicago area, there is barely anything going on.

Are there established communication channels about local seminars or workshops, with or without prominent guest coaches / elite skaters? Maybe I should solicit nearby rink's skating directors one-by-one asking to be included on their mailing list? :)

Thank you for tips and ideas!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Unpublicized workshops or seminars ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
That's how I usually find out about seminars - I'm on the email list for many rinks and vendors in the US. 

Some places pay the PSA to send out an email advertisement for them.
Riedell and Jackson sometimes promote seminars, especially if they are sending a representative.
The bigger seminar team (like Grassroots to Champions) has its own mailing list that you can sign up for.

The USFSA has been trying to start an online list without making any endorsements. 
If there's a special seminar or workshop during an ISI event, they promote it on their Facebook page.

www.skatingforums.com has a forum to post "events for skaters" which gets the word out to a lot of skaters and parents for free.  I was posting them on the Calendar, but most people said that they don't look at the calendar on the board, so I stopped, at least for the summer.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
Are there established communication channels about local seminars or workshops, with or without prominent guest coaches / elite skaters?

It appears that the entire skating world is shrouded in mystery and you have to be well connected to know anything...  forums like this definetly help, but it seems like every skater/parent has to reinvent the wheel to learn anything about skating.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
www.skatingforums.com has a forum to post "events for skaters" which gets the word out to a lot of skaters and parents for free.  I was posting them on the Calendar, but most people said that they don't look at the calendar on the board, so I stopped, at least for the summer.
Thank you so much for sharing about mailing lists that are open to the public!
I admit barely using the calendar but follow Events for Skaters subforum closely...

It appears that the entire skating world is shrouded in mystery and you have to be well connected to know anything...  forums like this definitely help, but it seems like every skater/parent has to reinvent the wheel to learn anything about skating.
My intention is to collect info about local events and put them on our rink wiki.