You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate recommendations?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Skate recommendations?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
Hello!

I just wondered if anyone had any good skate/boot recommendations for men. (No, They don't have to be black. I actually prefer white skates.) I live in North America and I'm searching for a good, solid all-around pair as I get back into the sport. Is there anything I should avoid or look for when shopping around for skates?

Thanks,

Sam
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Skate recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »
It'll depend on a few things, like your current (and near future) skating level, body weight, and shape of your feet.  Certain brands work better for some people than others.  I like Kinzie's Closet as a good general intro to skates and blades for each level: https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html  Really, though, your best bet if at all possible is to find a reputable skate shop and fitter who can help you get the right skates for you and your level. Ask for recommendations at your rink.  Good luck!

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
@Skategeek

Fair enough. More than a few factors seem to go into it. I've never heard of Kinzie's Closet before but I'll give it a poke around. Seems to have lots of interesting stuff on it! I actually just today got a recommendation to a local fitter who has been working with the club for a long time. So I'm going to chat with them today and go from there.

Thanks much!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »
Oh, that's terrific.  I'd recommend using Kinzie's Closet as a resource just to get familiar with the brands and models so you have some idea what to expect when you see the fitter.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
@Skategeek

Will do! Definitely lots of interesting stuff on there. Though a lack of unique mens skating pants T.T Black is so boring.

My Blog

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:49:52 AM »
Though a lack of unique mens skating pants T.T Black is so boring.

I found these?  I know nothing about them or the seller, but they're mens and not plain black...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Ice-Skating-JERRYS-MENS-SPORT-STRIPE-SKATING-PANTS-MADE-ORDER-3-WKS-FAB-801-/381675435475?var=&hash=item97831acad8

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
@Aussieskater

Aha! Exactly! Why couldn't I find something like that before? ^_^'

Thanks for the link! Better than plain black.

My Blog