You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I've got a pair of professional blades(m)  (Read 1220 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
I've got a pair of professional blades(m)
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
that are not being used. The blades are 9 3/4 in and I was thinking of seeing if they would fit on my skates. I currently have Wilson Excel blades on my skates. My blades are 10 in and go to the tip of my toes to the end of the heel. These LOOK like they might work. I am going to bring them with me and ask our fitter if they would work on my boots. If they do, I am thinking of swapping the blades out. These were dd's blades that she is not longer using. They are in excellent shape with a lot of life left in them.

Feedback? I know the toe pick is larger so that might take some getting used to, but over all it is a much better blade then what I am currently using, Would you switch?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: I've got a pair of professional blades(m)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
I've been told that you can sometimes 'skootch' (professional term) a blade with a quarter inch deviation on a boot and have it work out. But I've also been told that not only between manufacturers, but between blade lines in a manufacturer there's deviations in measurement. You might get lucky.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
I've been told that you can sometimes 'skootch' (professional term) a blade with a quarter inch deviation on a boot and have it work out. But I've also been told that not only between manufacturers, but between blade lines in a manufacturer there's deviations in measurement. You might get lucky.

I hope so! They look close to the same measurement! It'd be nice to upgrade with a pair of blades I already own. :)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »
Depending on your boot maker, it can work just fine.   On most boots you can go 1/4 inch shorter ( you have to mount shorter on the heel and make the toe plate even with the boot front).  On some Riedells you can only use one blade size though.  My boot tech actually prefers to mount them shorter- his reasoning is that the blade control is better on back turns, since the heel is directly over the back stanchion.