You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Used Skate Value  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Used Skate Value
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
I read somewhere recently how to calculate the value of your secondhand skates. Now I can't find the website and I can't remember the formula. Once I get my custom Harlicks, I will have three pairs of gently used skates to sell and I need to know how much to ask for them. Is there an easy way to determine their value? If I recall, the website said something like, 50% of the retail value for skates that have been sharpened, plus an additional deduction for every hour they've been skated in.

So here's the details of my skates. Can anyone help me determine their value?

* Jackson Glaciers, approximately 7 hours of wear, excellent condition; paid around $80
* Riedell 110s, approximately 8 hours of wear, excellent condition, but punched for width; paid around $65
* Jackson Classiques, approximately 7 hours of wear (thus far), excellent condition; paid around $140

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Used Skate Value
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
I sold a pair of ll bean "figure skates" that were at least 15 years old (gently used for the age) with a note that they weren't suitable above basic 6 on them for $30. I'd be surprised if they cost much more than that new.

I sold a pair of Jackson Competitors that were barely used, 3 months old for $50.
Those cost about $250.

I got a 3 year old pair of Jackson competitors, horribly beat up, also for $50.

So at least around here there is no rhyme or reason.  Nothing sells for more than $100. Most everything is priced at $50 regardless of what it is.

I think half retail is a good start.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
I have a pair of used skates and was asking around for its approx. value. A coach looked it for a few seconds and quoted it at the exact same price as the pro shop people did (surprise!). If there are experienced coaches / skate moms around, they'll likely know the "realistic local market value" for used skates. If not, does not hurt to list myskatingmall.com at 1/2 of retail value. Good luck!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
I usually check on ebay then cut 10% off for anything I really want to get rid of.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
I usually check on ebay then cut 10% off for anything I really want to get rid of.
That's what I did when I sold my Gams on ebay. I checked what the going rate seemed to be and based my pricing on that, taking into account that my boots were a more advanced model than most offered on ebay, but had been used, even though they showed absolutely no signs of having been broken in apart from a very small scratch on one boot. There was only one bidder, but I got the price I set as the minimum, so I guess I got it right!

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
Okay, so I'll try selling them at half the retail price and see if I get any nibbles. Thanks!