You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stiff New Skates--Lacing and Tongues  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Stiff New Skates--Lacing and Tongues
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
I'm having a lot of trouble with my two-foot turns because my new skates are . . . well, new. They're quite stiff and so I can't get a deep enough knee-bend to be able to successfully manage the two-foot turn. I left the top speed hook undone and tied the skates at the second hook. But that doesn't seem to be enough. Should I leave the top two hooks undone? Is that safe? Or should I just keep trying the two-foot turn with the skates as they are and hope that eventually they'll break-in enough that I can manage the maneuver?

I also tried not to tie the skates as tightly as I usually do near the top, so I could bend easier. But this resulted in the tongue popping loose as I skated. This seemed rather dangerous to me. Aren't they supposed to be tied snugly enough that the tongue doesn't go anywhere?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Stiff New Skates--Lacing and Tongues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
Dd unlaced the top two hooks at first.  There is no jumping the first few days so it's fine.  :)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
I guess I'll give that a try next time, then. Thanks!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:08:44 AM »
A good trick while you're leaving the top hook/s undone is to use a strong hair elastic band across the unlaced hooks.  Helps keep the tongue inside the boot but the elastic "gives" when you bend your knee, unlike a full-out lacing would.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
I'd heard of using hair bands on the hooks, but I wasn't sure how that worked, if it would give enough or not. I'll definitely give that a try. I wonder if the hair bands I already have are big enough? They're pretty skinny, as well as being small-sized. Do you need to use the the thicker bands? I'd imagine they'd be less likely to break.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
I'd heard of using hair bands on the hooks, but I wasn't sure how that worked, if it would give enough or not. I'll definitely give that a try. I wonder if the hair bands I already have are big enough? They're pretty skinny, as well as being small-sized. Do you need to use the the thicker bands? I'd imagine they'd be less likely to break.

I used very thick ponytailers without metal.  I used the thickest ponytailer I could find which still fit comfortably within the hook space.  I applied them the way AgnesNitt's link shows: crossed between the top hooks.  Once the tongues were broken in, I stopped using them.

When the elastics were new, they were tight enough across the hooks to stay put and not fly off, and I never had one break.  Doesn't mean they wouldn't have broken; just that I was lucky mine never did!

AgnesNitt, your  Katstrapz look like a good idea.  I might get hold of some decent elastic and sew the ends together to give it a try.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Those do look handy! I wonder about that metal circle on the elastic. Does it just cover the stitching and provide a logo, or does it strengthen the band somehow? In any case, I'm a sewer, so I have plenty of elastic on hand to experiment with. I'll see if I can make something satisfactory on my own, and if not, I'll email that lady and see how much she charges for her elastic bands. Or I'll just go to the drugstore and look for some thick, white hair bands. I think the kind I use for my hair would be too thin and liable to break under that much pressure, but I've seen thicker ones for sale.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »
The metal connector on the band makes it possible to find them on ice if one pops off. If you don't hook them fully into the hooks that can happen with any kind of elastic loop.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:48 PM »
Ah, I gotcha. The white elastic would be harder to see on the ice.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56:41 AM »
I've been using KatStrapz for several years now -- feel nekked without them LOL.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
Seems kinda strange that there's no pricing or any way to order the Katz Strapz from her website. Anyone know the cost + shipping to the US?

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
The KatStrapz are $10/pair. I help distribute them. If you would like to PM me your mailing address I could look it up. Be happy to pop them in the mail if you decide to try them.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
Thanks, I've just PM'd you.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:33 PM »
I just wanted to add, I bought a package of thick hair bands and they work great! I put one on each of the top two hooks, and because they were a bit loose, I twisted them several times before hooking them. They keep the tongues secure and they allow me to bend as deep as I need to. I got turquoise, to match my skating jacket, but now that I'm wearing leggings instead of pants, they show, so I'm thinking of getting some in white, to be more subtle. In any case, the hair bands work great.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:06 PM »
Those look interesting.  You can also lace your skates so they are snug where they need to be and looser at the top. I point my toe away (down) and tighten up through the bend, when I get to the top 3 hooks, I point my toe up (towards me). Then I can tie my skates tight through the last 3 hooks, and with the tension on the tongue it's enough to pull my laces tight. This creates a gap at the ankle when I straighten out my foot. I get enough bend but still have tight laces.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!