You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choices about knee pads...  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Iceskating

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Choices about knee pads...
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »

Hi, I am a ice skating beginner, I have a question about the knee pads.
I tried both the knee pads for inline skating and volleyball when I learn ice skating,
but sometimes I still had bad falls on my knees, and they are still painful,
one time it even took me 2-3 weeks to recover.  :(

Now I want to try other knee pads, hope they can give me better cushing and protection.
I'm considering "Skating Safe" or "Se-Ku" products,
Skating Safe: http://skatingsafe.net/UltraCrash-Skaters-Kneepad-HP3000-HP3001-HP3002.htm
Se-Ku: http://www.sekuskatewear.com/products/style-508?category=PRO-TECH+WEAR
Any suggestion for that? Which one can have better protection?

Thanks for the sharing!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Choices about knee pads...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
I can't comment about the skating safe product but I've bought d3o padded knee pads from SeKu and also from Annapolis Performance Sailing:

http://www.apsltd.com/c-7304-d30-knee-pads-by-musto.aspx 

After personally crash testing both pairs I like the ones from APS a little better than the ones from SeKu.  The pads from APS are bulkier but in my experience stay in place (and therefore protect your knees) better than the  SeKu items.  Also it looks like the pads from APS are ~$10.00 cheaper which might offset the cost of shipping.  Either way, the cost of a good pair of knee pads is way cheaper than having your knees reconstructed.  I like d3o.  You can read about the padding via a link on SeKu's website.

I wish someone would make good elbow sleeves with d3o pads.  I've got good sized lumps on each elbow from different falls, but that's another discussion.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
I've had really really food experiences with skating safe pads. I wear Capri tights under my skating clothes and tuck my pads in at the knees. Works perfectly.

I've had some bad falls and no problems. Don't even feel anything
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
I have the Se_Ku knee pads and love them.  I fell the other day on a Twizzle and was all good.  I wear their Pro Tech Pants as well (and a RibCap hat).

The Se_Ku stay in place and I have worn them both over (once) and under (usually) my pants.

And I really love that they are USA made and the owner is awesome.  You are supporting entrepreneurship that is bringing back our economy!  IF you are in the US.   ???
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
I have the Skating Safe ones and they are very good. Really great at absorbing impact. I've had a number of falls that would've been pretty bad, but walked away unscathed.

I did see a skater at my rink with the SeKu pads and she raved about them. I'm curious to try the nude colored ones for when I want to wear tights. The Skating Safe pads work fine under my skating pants, but I like the small size of the SeKu ones for slipping on over the tights.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »

I have the Se_Ku knee pads and love them.  I fell the other day on a Twizzle and was all good.  I wear their Pro Tech Pants as well (and a RibCap hat).

The Se_Ku stay in place and I have worn them both over (once) and under (usually) my pants.

And I really love that they are USA made and the owner is awesome.  You are supporting entrepreneurship that is bringing back our economy!  IF you are in the US.   ???

I have the same gear as you rd350! Lol

I really like seku as well. I love the pants, and recently bought the knee pads but haven't worn them yet.

They have a sale that might be going on still?

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
Sale @littlerain??!  Do they?  I have to check!  I love the Henley and could use another.

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
I have the skating safe ones. I originally had volleyball style knee pads, but I couldn't stand wearing them. I felt that they were constricting my knee movement. I wear tights & Chloe Noel pants & just tuck the skating safe pads in between the two. I have fallen on them & don't even feel it. I will say that I haven't taken a really bad fall since I've had them.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »
Skating safe knee pads here.  I usually wear knee high socks and leggings, which hold them in place.  I've taken a couple of hard falls straight down on the knees and they took the impact really well.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 11:41:52 PM »
@rd350 yes!! Got an email Monday. Codes are the same as before -
Pro-20 for 20% off pro tech wear
Reg-50 for 50% off regular price

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
Ooooo, need another Henley!  Thanks!

Offline Iceskating

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:15:19 AM »

Thanks everybody!
I'm happy I have more than one choice!  ;)

Offline Iceskating

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

Thanks for everybody's earlier response, later I bought knee pads(D30) from Se-Ku.

But after using it for couple months,  I found sometimes I still got bruises on my knees, especially when I fell and hit the side of my knees.
I'm curious does anyone have the same experiences? Is it normal? Or it's just the way it works? Thanks again!

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
I've worked up during the past 4 years from cheapo discount shop pads to my current unbelievably bulky "187 Killer Pro" pads ( http://187killerpads.bigcartel.com/product/pro-knee-pad-black-black ) .  These are intended for roller derby and half-pipe/bowl skaters.   They have 40mm (1.5") thick foam, so as the derby folks are keen to say, "It's like falling on kittens".   After smashing my knees through a variety of half-assed pads in the past,  these are the first pads I've tried that will take a one knee landing without any pain or damage whatsoever.    And no, they don't get in the way.  Though they did a little whilst learning backward crossovers, but i'm not jumping or spinning seriously yet, time might tell.

Knees pads sadly have the same basic physics limitation as helmets,  and that's that thin foam simply CANNOT protect nearly as well as thick foam,  no matter how high tech the foam is.   D3O is good stuff, but it can't repeal "F=ma".

Of course, I don't expect ANY figure skater in the world to be happy wearing such bulky knee pads.   But if avoiding pain/damage is essential, these are the only style of pads that will do.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
Is it normal?

I have only used the skatingsafe hip pads.  They have never prevented bruises entirely, they just decrease the severity.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
I've had good experience with the Musto knee pads which I mentioned in my earlier reply to this question.  Much thicker than the SeKu knee pads (I have both).