You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Frustration!!! And maybe a bit of impatience? How to deal?  (Read 4678 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Frustration!!! And maybe a bit of impatience? How to deal?
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
I'm no where near a good skater, in fact, all I can do is skate forwards and do forwards swizzles! But I dream of doing figure skating. I think about it all dy, every day, and I can just picture myself doing a tripple axel one day, hopefully. But for now, I'm a newbie! I've been skating for a few weeks maybe. I go every day during the week after school and skate for 2 hours. And it's becoming more frustrating than enjoyable! Here's why.

When I go skating, there are usually a few pros on the ice too. I'm always so jealous of them! It's almost embarassing to be sharing the ice with such good skaters. They must be laughing at me on the inside, as all I can do is skate in circles. I want to be like the pros, I want to do more than circles!

Maybe it's a matter of impatience. Not too long ago, I was a serious ballerina. Figure skating is the first thing I'm doing that's really new to me. I'll be able to take group lessons, but not until the end of this month!

What am I to do? Any advice?
Thanks for reading my little sob story for the day haha. I'm laying in bed typing this on mt phone because I can't sleep over this issue!

Thanks!
Ladyavalon

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Frustration!!! And maybe a bit of impatience? How to deal?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
I'm going to be flat out honest with you. It will always BE frustrating. All you can do is embrace it and use it to push yourself more. :) I've been skating over a span of 10 years. I started at 12, quit at 15, started back up again at 21 and at 23 am just now getting ready for competitions. I'm no where NEAR the level of some of my friends, but it makes it fun because they're encouraging (and they're 14 and 15!).  All those pros have been right where you are now at some point in their lives, they didn't come out of the womb with blades on their feet (that would hurt ;)) and they've all had that frustration. I'm sure at some point in your ballerina career (which btw I'm jealous of) you had frustrations, too, like not being able to do a certain number of pirouettes or your arabesque wasn't as high as you wanted it. Think of how you pushed through that.

Which brings me to another thing, you're not going to progress all that much without lessons. Trust me on that. I skated for a little over a year at my rink before I took up learn to skate to refresh my basics (and passed the highest level I could in it) before I switched to privates with that coach. Before that I was spinning but wasn't progressing, it wasn't until she came and introduced herself and suggested I try doing something different that I realized I REALLY wanted lessons. She pushes me hard and is VERY encouraging and makes sure I don't get discouraged. If she sees me struggling with something, she'll have me do it a few times, then switch to something else so I feel like I accomplished something and don't come out of my lesson frustrated. :) If you can start with learn to skate, a lot of pros began there, learn everything you can and make the most out of your sessions. Make friends with some of the people around the rink, ask advice. I'm not a coach but I've had girls I know come up to me and ask me to just demonstrate a move that they're having trouble visualizing, or girls I know who train with my coach I will help every now and then, even if it's just to offer moral support. :) My coach is cool with it because we all learn the same technique.

Until that point though that you're in lessons you need to not get discouraged. Figure skating is a hard sport.  Heck, my goal is to get to my senior levels before I'm 30. Will that happen? No idea, I'm taking it one step at a time. I'm testing bronze in a few months and hope to learn my axel before the end of this  year (coach is aware of that which is why she's pushing me harder now). Set goals for yourself. :) I am aiming to compete in the Florida Open in April, and hopefully pass my bronze levels before that. I'm very close at this point and it's just tidying up some moves and feeling more confident on my edges.

What skates are you using? Have you invested in a decent pair? Sometimes the pro shop sells used skates that are still in great condition (my first pair were used, $50 and lasted me until I started doing waltz jumps, and the skates I got after that have lasted me 9 years, . it's only now because my feet have shrunk that I need new skates). But good skates will make a TREMENDOUS difference. And make sure you get them sharpened, too.

I hope this helped! PM me if you have any questions or just want encouragement, I'm good at that.

Also, if you ever want to see how lessons can help progression, I keep a youtube account with videos of me skating. I've not updated recently because there's been little munchkins on the ice and I don't trust my camera out there with them.... but the link is: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShaunananaLynnMakeup?feature=mhum

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »
I guarantee the pros are not laughing at you.  I am a coach, and beginners are my bread and butter.  I love them, and have never laughed at/about a beginner, nor have any of my colleagues. 

I don't agree entirely with davincisoprano1 about progressing without lessons.  I know quite a few self taught skaters who can do a lot.  The real problem is that without lessons, you inevitably get things wrong, and once you have bad habits, they are very hard to break.

Keep skating!  The more time you spend on the ice, the more progress you will make, even if it is nothing more than improved comfort and balance.  It's not so long till the end of the month, and then some lucky Learn to Skate coach will have you in their class and be thrilled with your dedication.
My glass is half full :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:40:42 AM »
Yeah that's more where I was trying to get at was the bad technique... That's what was with me. My biggest accomplishment when I started taking lessons again was centering my scratch spin.

I agree I've seen a few people who are self taught. There is an older man at my rink that skates a lot but just goes around in circles. Taught himself to skate but he drags his toepicks like mad. That in itself is a hard habit to break.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
They aren't laughing at you. (well, the mean ones might. But they were mean before they started skating.) Just stay out of their way, learn where they jump (don't skate in a circle in the lutz corner), and be courteous. That's all that we high level skaters ask of you. Then we can both have a relaxing, productive practice.

Just get comfortable on the ice. Get comfortable with speed and with stopping. Practice gliding on one foot. Then you'll be all set for the group lessons.

You're unlikely to ever reach the triple axel stage. I'm assuming you're female, and few females have landed triple axels. But, with dedicated practice & good coaching, you can land doubles, even double axels. I've been skating for two years and I'm working on doubles. Your ballet training will help immensely.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
I think that the OP is using "pro" to mean higher-level skaters, not the coaches.  Puh-leaze!  With your ballet posture, the coaches (what we call pros in the US) are probably hoping you'll talk to them so they can introduce themselves if you want to take lessons.  Just be friendly and smile at everyone. 

When people feel that others are "looking (down) at them," it's usually not true.  The "victim" is usually just being self-conscious.  In your case, you were such a high-level dancer and now you're a low-level skater, so you feel ill at ease.  Put your fears at rest and focus on what really matters: your skating.   The only time I've found people REALLY staring at a beginner, it's because they (1) are impressed; or (2) want to start a conversation but don't know how.  The best way to start a conversation is to compliment the other person.  "I like your sweater." "That was a great spin!' - just make sure you mean it.  Don't get caught up in comparing yourself to other skaters, it's a dead-end that leads to psyching yourself out.

Dreams of triple axels are one thing, but you really need to set realistic goals, as well as objectives for reaching those goals.  How about:

Goal: Learn the basics of skating.

Objectives:
. Take lessons (even group is fine for the beginner) and come prepared for each lesson, on time.
. Skate several hours each week, mastering what I've learned.
. Research skating on the computer or borrow books/tapes from the library.
. Use existing dance skills and learn new techniques for incompatible things.  (ex: Skaters don't spot during spins.)
. Watch others' lessons (discreetly) and think about which instructors would be good for you to work with.
. Learn more about skating in your area: rinks, session times, costs, etc. so you can budget.
. Important: buy good skates and find a good sharpener/skate tech!  (Ask those skaters you think are watching you!)

The best things for you to work on without a coach are these:

. Stroking without pushing with a toepick.
. Gliding on two feet, gliding on one foot with balance.
. Extension while gliding.
. Backwards wiggles or swizzles.
. Backwards glides - 2 feet, then 1-footed.

You might even master some edges because of your ballet training.

Make a list of what you want to practice and take it with you to the rink each time.  Use it as a reference during the session.  Bring a water bottle and some tissues - when you feel awkward, stop, get a drink, write stuff down, blow your nose and then get back to skating. 

If you search YouTube, there are videos labeled "how to figure skate" or "how to ice skate."
They'll get you started with these maneuvers, but you really do need to take lessons above this. 
Even just simple stroking can later become a burden to undo if you develop the habit of pushing with your toepick or stroking out to the side like a rollerblader.  Spins, crossovers, jumps and spirals/arabesques without a coach is like buying pointe shoes to dance on your toes with no training.  I think you'll agree that that's not a good idea, lol.

Coaches and instructors can see what you're doing (right or wrong) and they KNOW the proper technique so they can correct your mistakes before they become ingrained.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline pikachu314

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Pikachu skates!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
Unfortunately, like everyone else says, I find that you can be self concious at whatever level you are at. Even when I am among the higher level skaters on the session (well not exactly high standard sessions, because I only have my single jumps ;)) I can still feel like I'm being watched or that I'm not good enough.

Unfortunately skating is one of those sports (I imagine ballet is too) where there is always the next skill to work on, and the next, and the next, so unless you are happy with yourself then you will always feel like you're not at a high enough level. The best thing to do is just focus on building your skills up session to session, and notice all your improvements, so when you get a negative thought you can answer it with one of your sucesses.

Before you know it you'll be moving on from the swizzles, and as soon as you're in your lessons you'll have the added benefit of a coach who can take a look at what you're doing and help out. You'll have loads of oppertunities to make friends in your group lessons too - even if all the other skaters are seven years old, you can still compare skills and learn from each other. I'm not embarrassed to say that on one of my regular sessions I often practice with a little munchkin who is barely as tall as my waist; we compare spins and she tells me when I'm travelling. (I already know, but whatever :laugh:)

Just keep up the beautiful dancer posture that I'm sure you have, and remember to bend you knees (as my coach always says). Remember that skating is for fun - meeting your goals and meeting new people. It's all recreational spending, so go out and enjoy yourself!
ice ice baby

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
Hi there!  Here's a couple things you can think about while you're waiting for your lessons to start.   

1)  Practice your stroking.  Imagine doing a demi plie' while extending one foot into a tendu behind you.  Okay - not exactly the same but the idea is similar.  You'll feel it once you try it.  The "free leg" will extend to the back en tendu while the skate leg rises from a plie'.  This is the basic forward stroking.  The only difference is the knee will be kept under your hips and shoulders.  You'll receive much more detailed instruction but since you're familiar with ballet, these references may help you.  Just remember to keep your knees, hips and shoulders in line being careful not to have your derriere sticking out!

2)  Arabesque - in skating they are called spirals.  Same thing except your skating foot is not turned out for reasons that are quite obvious. 

3)  Arm positions - because you have a MAJOR jump on beginners, understanding the basic body positions, experiment using your arms when you're stroking around in whatever basic position(s) you think feel natural. 

4)HAVE FUN!!!  There's no need to rush your training.  You definitely want to master the basics, get comfortable with the ice, and gain a good understanding of the basics of skating before you jump into the "hard stuff".  It's very much like ballet.  You have to have a great foundation in ballet before you go en pointe.  It can't be rushed, or skipped over.  Skating is very much the same thing.  Maybe a little boring here and there but nonetheless important!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »
I have a skate journal.  I write down the things I am working on, what went well, what didn't go well, tips my coach gives me.  When I get frustrated, I look back how far I've come.  I bet a year from now you will be looking back and marveling at all you have learned.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »
Off topic, but I once met a beginner skater with extensive ballet background. Her positions were so gorgeous and effortless, I thought she was a skating professional even though it was only basic stroking and turning.

People might be envying you!! :D

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Off topic, but I once met a beginner skater with extensive ballet background. Her positions were so gorgeous and effortless, I thought she was a skating professional even though it was only basic stroking and turning.

People might be envying you!! :D

I agree with Jjane, I totally struggle with making pretty hands and long lines. So I would definitely envy a beginner who does that well.