You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: JW blades sharpening tutorial, vs Matt Redmond  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
JW blades sharpening tutorial, vs Matt Redmond
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
Here is John Wilson's official sharpening tutorial video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69tWd_K5iBI

Fairly fast, but still uses many edge level measurements. (Note: he removes some chrome on initial sharpening.)

By comparison, matt redmond uses his eye and the pattern of sparks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFmzCkq4gg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9-q4CIeR0

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: JW blades sharpening tutorial, vs Matt Redmond
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
What is the basis for your claim that Bruce Hurd's video is "John Wilson's official sharpening tutorial video"?

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 09:30:05 PM »
It is in John Wilson Blades official Youtube channel. But I don't know if that means JW commissioned the video, or whether they just decided it had useful info worth posting.

As is common in this field, not everyone will agree with everything he does.

What do people think about Matt Redmond saying you shouldn't sharpen cold blades, and that JW Phoenix blades have assymetric staunchions that could make them hard to sharpen. He also works very fast. I wonder how good a job he does.

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 03:06:28 PM »
query tu as raison.
matt redmond ne serait pas mon modèle, c'est fait trop vite et en + il fait à l'oeil!
je me demande comment doivent etre affutés tout ces patins!

Online tstop4me

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:07:44 AM »
It is in John Wilson Blades official Youtube channel. But I don't know if that means JW commissioned the video, or whether they just decided it had useful info worth posting.

Various boot and blade manufacturers post videos on their websites that are explicitly produced and issued by the manufacturers, often featuring employees of the manufacturers.  These I would consider "official" videos, representing what the manufacturers consider their best information and their best practices.  Without more information, it's not clear to me what significance inclusion of a video in a manufacturer's official YouTube channel per se means. 

I saw Bruce Hurd's video at least 5 yrs ago.  I can't be sure, but I believe it was just one of many sharpening videos on YouTube, not specifically on the John Wilson YouTube channel at the time.  At the very least, we can infer that John Wilson does not disapprove of the equipment and methods that Hurd uses.  But can we infer that John Wilson specifically endorses or recommends the equipment (Incredible Edger) and methods?  I don't know.

In contrast, Paramount on its website used to explicitly endorse the Incredible Edger (when I first looked back around 2014).  But then I found an interesting backstory on the Incredible Edger website:  Sid Broadbent (developer of the Incredible Edger) had provided assistance to Paramount when they were getting started.  So perhaps a bit of quid pro quo?  At any rate, the explicit recommendation of the Incredible Edger disappeared from the Paramount website several years ago, and is not there now.  Not sure what significance that has either.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
If I remember right, sharpening machine on Paramounts Skates web pages was basically copy of Incredible Edger. Parts which are made from casting in IE were just machined from the aluminum.

If you take a look carefully Bruce video, he leaves cross grinding to be quite long after hollow grinding. If I do measurements from the still image, I would say that hollow starts about 27mm from the toe picks. Referred to thread https://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7891.0

Online tstop4me

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 11:59:53 AM »
If I remember right, sharpening machine on Paramounts Skates web pages was basically copy of Incredible Edger. Parts which are made from casting in IE were just machined from the aluminum.
I rooted around the Wayback Machine and found this archive from 2008 Paramount website:  https://web.archive.org/web/20080908083207/http://www.paramountskates.com/Sharpening.php.

Paramount specifically references the Incredible Edger and Sid Broadbent.

"With the New Incredible Edger, no additional parts are needed to sharpen the Paramount Blades"

"Sid Broadbent Machine
Best machine available for sharpening
Figure skate blades"

I recall a more detailed version, but this should suffice.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 12:51:57 PM »
query tu as raison.
matt redmond ne serait pas mon modèle, c'est fait trop vite et en + il fait à l'oeil!
je me demande comment doivent etre affutés tout ces patins!

Translated:
query you are right.
matt redmond would not be my model, it's done too quickly and it's done by eye!
I wonder how all these skates should be sharpened!

I don't know if he does a good job or not. He shows coach Andrei Zharkov [sp?], who might be the famous Russian ice dancer & now coach?? Matt makes a lot of videos.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »
I didn't remember anymore that Paramount was also presenting images of IE. Picture of the machine what I am talking about is not presented anymore. I am quite sure that I have seen the image of the machine which was basically duplicate from the IE.

Maybe I remember also that wrong, that his machine was able to restore the entire profile.