You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to get good surface finish to blades and how they look?  (Read 11079 times)

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
Re: How to get good surface finish to blades and how they look?
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2022, 11:57:49 PM »
As English in not my home langue, I have sometimes difficulties to understand clearly the difference between buffing and polishing. I guess buffing means polishing with felt wheel (more harder) and polishing is made with cloth wheel (very soft wheel). https://www.cmpionline.com/polishing-vs-buffing-the-differences

Maybe Supersharp is one volunteer even we are living in different side of globe  :)

It is for sure that I will order soonest buffing wheels from the Blademaster so that I can compare different buffing wheels. I will publish some video from my very first test during the weekend. Today I am too tired to start editing / uploading video to Youtube. Stay tuned on Youtube.

Marc, many thanks for challenging me!

Even to native English speakers, polishing and buffing are hard to distinguish, as tstop4me points out.  I think they are used to mean the same thing a lot of the time, even though it makes sense that there is a distinction.  Like so many things, if it's a technical term in your field, you have a specific meaning for it (such as cement vs concrete...to many people they are used interchangeably but to an engineer, they are not the same thing at all). 

I am very happy to take up the challenge and skate on the buffed/polished/gleaming blades.  I'm very curious to see if the edge is truly preserved.  I have tested hand-honing blades after sharpening both on my own skates and on others, and everyone agreed that the additional polishing feels great.  Since that time, I have tuned my machine better and switched to the Blademaster Ruby wheels, which is giving me a smoother finish than the hand-honing was before.  I know that additional hand-honing would get the blades closer to perfect, but it is so easy to slip out of the groove and dull and edge that I have not been hand-honing anymore.  When my blades are ready to be sharpened, I can see that the ice has polished the groove to a smoother finish, and I can feel that there is a little bit more drag when I get back on the ice.  It has created sort of a love/hate relationship with sharpening my blades, because my favorite stage is sharp enough but getting smooth enough that I have that perfect combination of good edges without anything seeming grabby, and glorious flow.   I'm very curious to see if polishing the blade can basically allow me to have this feeling right away. 

I will look for some kind of buffing wheel locally and report back after I give it a try.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2022, 01:50:46 PM »
Link to first buffing test "results". https://youtu.be/RKHt4dxda6g

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »
super sharp:
I see that you are doing with a blademaster (3' or 8'), and can you tell me if you prefer the diamond tsm 687 or 688 (which has more diamonds and more expensive too, because I have the possibility to buy one or the other?
I also seem to get better results with the 8 mx ruby ​​than the 88r.

kaisu:
I thought I understood suddenly that you are not satisfied with the result, yet it looks quite well polished.
I really believe (as my client who was a machinist/grinder repeated to me) that the best would be to polish with a very fine diamond paste...
I tried with a freehand drill with a cotton wheel + green polishing paste = zero.
I'm looking forward to more....

In France I will not find the blademaster polishing wheel (I deduce that in France nobody would polish ice skates!! and does anyone of you have the opportunity to try it?
Would we be mad to polish? I do not believe...
But still need to find the right material

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2022, 10:03:27 AM »
Hello Marc,

As we both are not speaking English as a home langue, we may have some misunderstandings. When you proposed polishing I already started writing that idea does not fly. To proof that I did decide to polish one blade with hand held buffing wheel and take picture how edges get rounded. Surprisingly I could not round the edges like I believed. This was really unexpected results. For this reason I wanted to thank you that you challenged to proof that I have been wrong all these years. Buffing can really improve surface quality without rounding the edges or disturbing skate edges like Blademaster describes.

Like tstop4me pointed out, polishing the area which does not even contact ice is basically useless, but in the other hand polishing also those areas does not either harm the blade.

Like I told previous post, I have tried to cover my grinding wheel almost with all possible abrasives and non abrasives what I can imagine. Common for all these earlier tests has been that I have not been able to get same sharpness feeling than what I can get without wax or additional abrasives and I have got more severe chatter marks when grinding wheel is clogged and not cutting like it should be. I do not fully understand why edges comes more dull. I need to test using diamond paste or polishing waxes with buffing wheel, but I takes some time before I can do that.

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2022, 02:39:15 PM »
kaitsu:
je suis persuadé que le polissage peut vraiment améliorer la qualité de la surface sans arrondir les bords. (et je comprends bien que nous ne pouvons pas polir les bords(entre le creux et les bords) sans polir le creux ,qui n'est pas en contact avec la glace)
Et je te remercie encore pour tes gentils mots.
J'ai cherché très longtemps la meule blademaster en france et en Europe. cela est très compliqué. Ou la trouvera tu?
Je vais peut etre essayer un fournisseur de meule en France qui a des meules en feutre souple et dure? (si je trouve pas la 3bw)
Il me tarde tes conclusions et je comprends que cela sera long!

kaitsu:
I'm sure polishing can really improve the surface quality without rounding the edges. (and I understand that we cannot polish the edges (between the hollow and the edges) without polishing the hollow, which is not in contact with the ice)
And thank you again for your kind words.
I looked for the blademaster grinding wheel for a very long time in France and in Europe. it is very complicated. Where will you find her?
Maybe I'll try a wheel supplier in France who has soft and hard felt wheels? (if I can't find the 3bw)
I look forward to your conclusions and I understand that it will be long!

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »
Link to first buffing test "results". https://youtu.be/RKHt4dxda6g
If I understand you correctly, you used a felt (or similar material) buffing wheel that does not have impregnated abrasive and to which you did not add free abrasive.  Is that correct?  If so, then it's not surprising that there was no improvement on the surface finish of a steel blade.

The Incredible Edger has a an optional cross-grinder attachment called the Little Edger.  Do you have that?  If so, does it allow you cross-grind the entire length of the blade, or just a short section behind the toepick?  The reason I ask is that if your goal is to reduce the longitudinal striations caused by the main sharpening/grinding wheel, then, if possible, you want your polishing/buffing operation with a finer abrasive to occur in the transverse direction.  When the coarser longitudinal striations are gone and replaced with finer transverse striations, you will know that you have accomplished your task.

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 10:17:15 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you used a felt (or similar material) buffing wheel that does not have impregnated abrasive and to which you did not add free abrasive.  Is that correct?

Correct, in the video I didn't use any polishing waxes or any other abrasives than buffing wheel, BUT I was still able to get some improvement to the surface quality. Improvement is really difficult to get in to image format so I tried to demonstrate it with the sound. Its very important to listen the difference.

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »
Problem in polishing waxes is that they are abrasive. Since buffing wheel is flat / without radius, any abrasive material what you add to the buffing wheel starts to polish also your blade edges. See the attached picture from the blade what I just polished using steel polishing wax. Buffing wheel alone does not have so much abrasive materials that it would round the edges...at least if you just make few passes. Actually sharp edges cut small grooves to the buffing wheel. I believe I am not going to add any abrasives to buffing wheel until me or somebody else has invented some genius way to avoid edge rounding. Buffing alone removes foiled edges which ice would remove after few hours of skating on ice. It wont polish your blades to mirror finish, but I believe you can still gain some improvement. Note that Blademaster is selling buffing wheels but not any polishing wax for it.

Offline Kaitsu

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2022, 10:19:50 AM »
The Incredible Edger has a an optional cross-grinder attachment called the Little Edger.  Do you have that?

I do have Little Edger. Its mounted to the end of longitudinal guide rods, so its impossible to make cross grinding all the way to the blade.
Making polishing with cross grind type of grinder would be 100 times more difficult that with normal longitudinal grinding. To be honest, I do not want to even consider this option. I let someone else to try that.  8)
Maybe Kim Yu-Na skate tech can try your proposal. See this video starting from 7:30. https://youtu.be/l14Y0XGMYUE

Ps. It seems we are writing too long post, so they have started to limit their length. This this is the reason why I need to post so many replies.