You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Job: Skate guard, Laurel, MD; Free ice time, discounts included  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Job: Skate guard, Laurel, MD; Free ice time, discounts included
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
http://thegardensicehouse.com needs a new rink guard.

Part-time, somewhat unpredictable hours. Mostly is on Friday evenings, Saturday and/or Sunday mid-day, some holidays.

Duties include skate guarding, interfacing with public, handing out and putting away rental skates, including making people happy with fit (we have multiple skate types in both hockey and figure skates, and sometimes I suggest folding up a piece of paper and laying on insole to change fit or balance), some cleaning, organizing and maintenance, whatever the Manager On Duty wants. I like to give pointers to people who don't know how to skate, and/or don't know how to tie skate laces. Guarding is usually on either of two of the 6 facility ice surfaces: one indoor Olympic sheet, one outdoor subsize sheet. You may have to carry a 20-30 pound CD player outside - but if you have a luggage carrier with wheels, that would be easy. Not a lot of room for upward mobility, but free ice time is very nice, if your schedule allows you to take advantage of it. The public & freestyle sessions are usually not very busy, as ice rinks around here go, but public sessions can get crowded and hectic with beginners when there is a birthday party or fund raiser.

Fringe benefits: Helping people is fun! :) Also, free public ice time, when you aren't on duty. Almost every weekday at around 11:10 AM - 1 PM there is an unsupervised public session  - very few people come, and you will not be working, so you can skate - but there will be a period during the spring when public sessions stop, sad to say, because hockey tournaments take over the facility. You might also get a discount on hockey membership, LTS lessons, freestyle/dance sesions (called work sessions; we have a LOT of them), and stuff from pro shop (mostly hockey :(, but some figure skating equipment, clothing and supplies).

Facility is in Fairland Regional Park, here. Adjacent to Potomac Curling Club (which dedicates one of those 6 surfaces), Wolfe Hockey (which dedicates another surface), Fairland Aquatics Center, which has multiple swimming pools, a whrilpool/hot tub, a fairly full featured and under-utilized weight/exercise equipment room (relatively cheap to join, especially if you join the pool too), land and aquatic exercise classes, at least one great personal trainer, tennis bubble, racketball courts, gymnastics center, hiking and biking trails. Within walking distance of golf course and various athletics fields.

BTW, it is me you are replacing. I want something with more hours, more predictable hours, and that pays better, doing something closer to my technical training. I am posting this to help them recruit, so I don't feel like I am leaving them in the lurch when I go. They have started to look, so act fast.