You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where to find cheap blades?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline hellotwizzles

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Where to find cheap blades?
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:14 PM »
I did follow the advice here and saw the fitter at a pro shop in the city! Luckily, I was able to fit into stock boots and went home with a pair of Jackson’s, but I didn’t buy blades with the boots yet.

I also spoke with a coach and had some skating time with them (apparently, many are fine if you call them on their cell phone and just ask to meet lol) and they recommended a few options: Ultima Legacy, Coronation Ace are the big ones, and I was assured by the coach i was very much not overestimating my level- I’m probably a STAR 2-3 (if I jumped- but I’m not trusting that one to YouTube... waiting until I join a club when the season starts up again.)

Anyway, my question is- if these are entry level blades why the HECK are they so expensive? Pro Shop is asking $350 for the Ace, not even including mounting and sharpening. I know Skating is expensive(duh!) but is this normal for low level equipment? Has anyone found any websites where blades are cheaper, or found off-brand blades (like foreign brands maybe?) where the markup is less?

I honestly don’t think that I will be doing any jumping (I want to do dance mostly), or at least nothing beyond the single axel if I decide later on I’d like to jump, would I be fine in a blade rated for only single jumps? I think The coach gave those recommendations based on thinking I want to learn to jump... :o

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Where to find cheap blades?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
See if you can find one of these in your size,

https://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Clearance-Eclipse-Mist-Figure-Skating-Blades-EclipseMist.htm

If that link doesn't go through it's to Kinzies Closet (online retailer) for an Eclipse Mist.  They have replaced that model with the stainless steel Aurora.  It's a near clone shall we say of the Coronation Ace and MK Pro.  Evidently not exact, but close.  I bought those so my 9 year old could get used to an intermediate blade while her feet are still growing.  I couldn't spring for $250 on a blade she's use for 3 months, then another for 6 months...

She's doing very well on that blade and we have one more size to go before we move on.  If Kinzie's doesn't have your size try other online retailers and make them a similar offer.  I bought mine for $89.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
I'm kinda surprised at the money which you spent for Jackson boots without blades.  IIRC, my Jackson Freestyles came with  Ultima Aspire blades already mounted, for an all in price of less than $350--and part of that cost was 6% Maryland state tax.  I'm not familiar with all the different models of Jackson boots.  You must have bought an upper level model.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
If money is a concern, look at the Jackson brand blades. Pretty sure their legacy blade is only around $150-175....

Why did you not go with a Jackson Freestyle or Jackson Competitor over the separate boots/blades?

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »

I also spoke with a coach and had some skating time with them (apparently, many are fine if you call them on their cell phone and just ask to meet lol) and they recommended a few options: Ultima Legacy, Coronation Ace are the big ones, and I was assured by the coach i was very much not overestimating my level- I’m probably a STAR 2-3 (if I jumped- but I’m not trusting that one to YouTube... waiting until I join a club when the season starts up again.)

Anyway, my question is- if these are entry level blades why the HECK are they so expensive? Pro Shop is asking $350 for the Ace, not even including mounting and sharpening. I know Skating is expensive(duh!) but is this normal for low level equipment? Has anyone found any websites where blades are cheaper, or found off-brand blades (like foreign brands maybe?) where the markup is less?

In another post, you mentioned you are in Canada, so you are quoting Canadian $, correct?  Legacy and Coronation Ace are generally considered intermediate blades, not entry level.

Offline hellotwizzles

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:54:16 PM »
If money is a concern, look at the Jackson brand blades. Pretty sure their legacy blade is only around $150-175....

Why did you not go with a Jackson Freestyle or Jackson Competitor over the separate boots/blades?

I’m in the Debut- the model is “old” and the shop had them on close out for $150 boots only. I thought it’s was a steal but these don’t come with blades /yikes

First timer’s mistake, I guess!

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Good boots and a good price, if they fit your feet.  There are plenty of decent blades for less money.  I stand by my suggestion of the Mist above, but you can get an Ultima Aspire XP (same as on the Freestyle and Competitor) for about $100.  Our fitter says it's a good basic blade.  All the blades co.'s have blades in the $150 range.  I can't comment on their suitability for you.  That was a good price on the boot so even if you get the CA or MK Pro you're doing pretty well on the cost front. Again, if they work for you.

Don't see how an Ace is $350 though.  At most it's a $220 blade, although there are other models (parabolic, revolution) that approach that price.  You'd also have to pay for mounting and sharpening, about another $70 for us.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »
hellotwizzles, are those AUS$?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
That would make a little more sense on the blade price, but that would mean the boots @ $150 AUS would have been a steal!

Offline hellotwizzles

• Under the Edge
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
hellotwizzles, are those AUS$?

CAD$ Althought we are very close to par to you aussies!

Also- to those who suggested the Mist- looks great but there’s no size 9” :(

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
Look around, it's closed out but there might be someone who has a 9, try discountskatewear.com, says they have a 9 at the old regular price, make them an offer of $100 (or less) Also, be aware that the Jackson size charts are not entirely accurate so measure the sole and leave a 1/4" gap at the heel.

Still say you got a bargain on the boot and if your feet are finished growing even a full priced Coro Ace or MK Pro would serve you very well.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
Like Sibelius says, make the blade length measurement yourself to be sure...

Get the size blade that won't extend beyond the ends of the sole, and that can be up to 1/4" shorter than your boot measurement.
Bill Schneider