You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Costume Violations  (Read 2262 times)

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Costume Violations
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Is glitter a tripping hazard when it sheds onto the ice?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Costume Violations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »
Is glitter a tripping hazard when it sheds onto the ice?

No, glitter is not.

Sequins and stones, yes.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
I can't tell you how to travel with sparkle shedding clothing. Perhaps you could ship it separately, to your hotel or maybe to a post office, for pickup. Do you suppose shedding sparkle could upset a TSA inspector?

The USFSA penalizes you if anything falls off your costume onto the ice. See, for example,

http://usfsa.org/content/2017-18%20Rulebook.pdf

and search for all instances of "costume".

So if your costume "sheds" glitter, maybe that could be a problem?

I don't know if there is a similar ISU rule, or a similar rule in other skating organizations.

Incidentally, though I don't think this is relevant for you, for lower level USFSA Synchro competitions, glitter and other adornment might be penalized even if it doesn't come off - and too much glitter and other adornment can be penalized at upper levels too, if it isn't considered to be "in moderation".

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/Guide%20to%20Basic%20Skills%20and%20Beginner%20Synchro.pdf

includes:

Rule 7022 of the U.S. Figure Skating rulebook states that “sequins, rhinestones or jeweled trim may be used in moderation on the clothing of senior, junior and collegiate synchronized skating teams only... The use of adornments in all other divisions is prohibited”. Any deductions based on this rule will be taken by the referee at any competition your team competes at, therefore it is not possible to “check ahead of time” if a particular costume breaks this rule. If you are unsure about the use of anything that could potentially be classified as an adornment, the safest choice would be not to include it, as a different referee will be making the call at each competition you attend. It is important for coaches to remember the goals they are trying to reach. The main focus of beginner teams should be to encourage participation while introducing skaters to the basics. Beginner teams should be FUN and COST EFFECTIVE as to remain as inclusive as possible. Coaches should keep this in mind while selecting their team’s costumes for the season.

Gee, there are a lot of ambiguous rules...

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
Well, then I guess you lose two points (one per program), under USFSA rules. (Or is that one point / judge?) Assuming they catch you on it.

I've met people who work very hard on the way sparkly things are attached, to insure it doesn't come off, to avoid the penalty. If judges actually ignore falling glitter, they are wasting a lot of time.

Does anyone out there know if most judges & referees pay attention to fallen glitter? If so, how many points total could he lose / program?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
Mod note: costume packing topic went off the rails.  As a point of reference, if you don't have a suggestion to the original post, don't thread-jack. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright