You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dream figure skating app  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
Dream figure skating app
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
What features would you want to see in a smartphone app for figure skating? Asking for a personal/school project! No idea too bizarre :) I have some ideas of my own, but wanted to see what other skaters have thought of while practising - things that make you think "oh, it would be great if there were an app that did this"

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Dream figure skating app
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
I want one that sounds like a grumpy referee's whistle when a hockey kid gets too close.  :police:

Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
How about an app that maps how far you have skated in a session? One might even calculate typical calories burned, etc.

Edit: Just thinking, there might be something similar for runners already. Don't know, though - just brainstorming.
Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
How about a motion-activated video recorder that turns on only if you are in the frame? Yeah, I know, the motion of other skaters might trigger it on crowded sessions. So, put in face recognition? I see problems, but still just brainstorming.
Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
Spin revolution counter? Is that even possible with iPhone technology? I don't think GPS is that sensitive, and I'm not sure how the accelerometers can be used for that. Nice dream app though!
Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »
An app that shows zoomable dance diagrams on the screen for when you forget the rulebook. I wouldn't be surprised if that already exists.

Edit: I already had an "analog" version of that, as some here are aware.

Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
An app that computes height of jumps? The phone's accelerometers would likely be key to pulling that off.
Bill Schneider

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »
A rink-finder app that shows all ice skating rinks within a specified radius. It could link to GPS to provide driving directions. There could be a brief description about each rink and typical times, costs. Hard to keep updated, but would be really nice!
Bill Schneider

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
Thanks @Bill_S - Some of these are AWESOME and ideas I'd completely forgotten about - Especially the rink finder, I feel like I have insider knowledge of every rink in the GTA (greater toronto area) - schedules and fees for locations that I've built up knowledge on over the years - there's a lot of ice here if you know where to find it. On the other hand, most of that is info I'd be weary of sharing too publicly - it's like a closely guarded secret.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »
How about an app that maps how far you have skated in a session? One might even calculate typical calories burned, etc.

Edit: Just thinking, there might be something similar for runners already. Don't know, though - just brainstorming.

I would like the distance; but the calories burned is a waste of time, there isn't enough science there.

What I want is a record of sharpening dates and hours skated, with a caluclation of when the next sharpening is estimated to be due being continually updated with every hour you skate.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
1. This would be really hard, and would require a lot of physics to do, and I think there may already be an expensive commercial product for you to compete with. Something that tells you how to adjust your body to spin better. E.g., pitches that tell you something about where to move a hand/arm and/or foot/leg. Should also tell you whether your spin is traveling, and in what direction. You need good GPS reception inside the rink for the last part.

2. An app that shows what pattern you actually skated. Again, needs good GPS reception. This is really the same as some trail GPS programs do. But: add tones to show how you are off from the desired pattern.

3. An app that computes how much money and time you are spending on figure skating. Include session fees, sharpening, lessons, cost-of-driving, other travel expenses, clothing, time spent playing with skatingforums.com, etc. A magic button that makes all the money spent go away. :) Oh, wait - skating itself already makes all the money disappear.

4. An app that warns a parent if a child uses their phone (for calls, apps, messages, etc.) instead of skating during an expensive skating session. :)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
An app that shows zoomable dance diagrams on the screen for when you forget the rulebook. I wouldn't be surprised if that already exists.

Edit: I already had an "analog" version of that, as some here are aware.

Yes, my ancient Kindle Fire does that nicely. 

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
For moves in the field, an app that vibrates to the rhythm of a power circle.

I checked and there are already apps that will vibrate the rhythm of a pattern dance.  I didn't try it yet, but presumably you have to manually enter the tempo.  Maybe an app that already knows the tempo of each dance and will vibrate it for you?

Vibration might be better than playing the music on your phone because rinks are loud environments.