You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Regaining Back Flexibility?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Regaining Back Flexibility?
« on: March 11, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
I'm on the verge of crying... The Layback use to be one of my favorite and most consistent and most beautiful spins. I was always able to comfortably chill in it and have no pain at all. HOWEVER, I tried one yesterday and my back felt stiff as a board. I could not get much further than just my upper back arching, my lower back seem to not want to budge.   I've also noticed that my lower back seems to be irritated and tight even when I don't try Laybacks.  I'm assuming that this is a result from not being on the ice for way too long and having a sitting job. :sad:

Does anyone out there have a stretch sequence to re-open my back?

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Regaining Back Flexibility?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
Yoga is really good for spine stretches.  Cat/cow, sphinx and crescent moon are all helpful and fairly easy to do.  Hamstring stretches will also help. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Pilates helps as well with back movement and strength. My instructor spends a lot of time counteracting the demands of sitting at the desk.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 12:30:30 AM »
My lower back has been bothering me lately and I'm considering seeing my chiropractor because two of my vertebra have the tendency to pinch the nerve. So while they may be a need to stretch it might be good to make such your back is aligned. I know some people think chiros are quacks but mine does ex rays before treatment and try to keep adjustments to a minimum. These are good qualities to look for. I spent a fair amount of money three or so years ago because I was in stupid pain but it was totally worth it $600 later I go in for a
Treatment maybe once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 01:02:21 AM »
I'm on the verge of crying... The Layback use to be one of my favorite and most consistent and most beautiful spins. I was always able to comfortably chill in it and have no pain at all. HOWEVER, I tried one yesterday and my back felt stiff as a board. I could not get much further than just my upper back arching, my lower back seem to not want to budge.   I've also noticed that my lower back seems to be irritated and tight even when I don't try Laybacks.  I'm assuming that this is a result from not being on the ice for way too long and having a sitting job. :sad:

Does anyone out there have a stretch sequence to re-open my back?

Me too!! When stretch my spread eagle at the boards I do also try to stretch that lay back position. But it's so sorry compared to what it was. Ill look around too and see if I can fine some suggestions too add to what's already been said. I'm 42 so I'm not expecting miracles, but hopeful that a little progression can happen.....

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
I have a very stiff back myself, but I find that it helps to do several repetitions of downward facing dog pose to cobra pose to child's pose.  There are videos on YouTube that show the transitions