You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Harness  (Read 2028 times)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Harness
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
I'd figure I'd ask here. Our head club coach is looking at purchasing both off ice and on ice harness systems and has asked me to help do some research. I was wondering if anyone knew what brands exist and where one can even purchase these?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Harness
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
Pro-motion seems to be the most popular of the handheld "pole" harnesses.  We have one coach at our rink that uses one fairly often - it seems to work really well for him.

My rink also has two cable-mounted harnesses on the ice, one is this one and it's the one I prefer to use because the harness itself is MUCH more comfortable for me, it feels more secure and it's easier to adjust, but most of the coaches don't like it because the track cable sags more than our other harness, and there are different size belts that need to be switched out to use it on really tiny skaters, however I feel that that the cable issue could be fixed if someone really wanted to fix it... but it really hasn't been an issue for me, and swapping out the belts takes about 30 seconds, and again, isn't really an issue.  I also like that one because it's not as close to the end of the rink, so I don't feel as much like I'm trying to set up a jump right at the boards.

I'm not sure what brand the other harness we have is, but I don't like it because to adjust it to fit my waist (admittedly I am bigger than a majority of the skaters at my rink using a harness, but not super huge) it puts the loop that connects it to the rope at just the right height to yank my hair out.  The webbing on that harness is yellow, if that might help anyone identify it.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
This one is by the same people who created the Champion Cords. It's a neat system.
http://sheila6928.wix.com/championskating

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »
I'll see if I can find out what we have. Ours is a cable mounted belt harness like the first one sarahspins posted. I've used both shoulder harness (like the vest type) and the belt type harnesses. I find the shoulder harnesses extremely uncomfortable, and it always seemed to be catching someone's hair or otherwise just being a nuisance. The belt is more adjustable for all sizes (adults down to tiny children). I haven't seen the belt fly off of anyone, but I have seen a shoulder strap harness come open while the skater was in the air.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:59:27 AM »
I've only seen pole harnesses in the UK. The advantage of them is that they can be both on and off ice and there's no fixed bit of the rink where they have to be used.
(And ultimately they're cheaper as nothing needs to get installed in the building).

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:50:47 AM »
I've only seen pole harnesses in the UK. The advantage of them is that they can be both on and off ice and there's no fixed bit of the rink where they have to be used.
(And ultimately they're cheaper as nothing needs to get installed in the building).

Do you know kind this are? I would really like to avoid having to order from the US because of import taxes (they are absolutely crazy in Belgium).
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
Do you know kind this are? I would really like to avoid having to order from the US because of import taxes (they are absolutely crazy in Belgium).

I think they're all pro-motion. I suspect they've all been shipped in.
I looked at the cost of them for my coach a year ago and I think it was coming out around $700 (although that might be £ and not $ - I forget).
And that was before shipping costs.
I didn't spot a European distributor at the time (but I was only looking for rough costs).

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »
Pro-motion ceiling harness is not great. Our club got one, but everyone hated the wires in front on the face and the fact that hair was constantly getting caught in the attachment.  The coaches did not like it as much either, the comments were that they did not have as much "pull" as with a regular rope harness.

Another huge issue was the metal hook breaking within a few months of purchase, I personally contacted the manufacturer and explained what happened, sent photos, etc.  After weeks of emailing (with me having to constantly ask for replies), they finally agreed to replace the metal hook.   The harness went back with international shipping at our expense and the hooks were replaced.
Now nobody is even using it.   

They also make the pole harness, which some coaches use and seem to be ok with.