You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Activity monitors  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
Activity monitors
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Is anyone using an activity monitor such as fitbit, misfit, up etc. does it track your skating accurately?

I've asked this about a year ago, but am trying again since these seem to be getting better and more popular. Thanks for your input.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Activity monitors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
I've tried a couple. The ones that attach to your wrist or are a necklace, or clip to your waist band are useless for skating. I use one that wraps around my chest next to my skin and measures my heart beat.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »
I use a Fitbit One, which you clip onto your torso somewhere. I wear it hooked to the center of my bra (lucky Fitbit!) most of the time. I've tested it out on the ice, taking X number of strokes and then checking it (via the bluetooth connection on my phone, not peeking down my shirt!) and it does seem to accurately capture stroking as steps. I don't know how well it does with calories while skating. I usually enter my skating time manually via My Fitness Pal, which synchs with the Fitbit.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:43 AM »
I've tried a couple. The ones that attach to your wrist or are a necklace, or clip to your waist band are useless for skating. I use one that wraps around my chest next to my skin and measures my heart beat.

I've read that they work better attached to your ankle as there isn't enough upper body movement skating (which is the same problem they have with cycling).

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
I just got a FitBit Flex (the wrist one). So far, I love it. I've only skated twice with it. It perceived me taking between 200-340 steps for each 15 minutes that I was on the ice doing a freestyle/jumps. The day before that, I was on the ice and did primarily MIF  For that, I got between 400-550 steps. I do input my skating time separately. I also use it to track my sleep and like that feature a lot.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
I have a Fitbit Flex and I don't think it's as accurate as my last pedometer, but it does things the pedometer doesn't. And I don't think it's consistant because it goes off arm movement and if the arms are still (full of stuff at work or a majority of figure skating) it doesn't always capture those steps.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)