You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot Fitting in North Texas  (Read 1166 times)

Offline DFWMommy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Boot Fitting in North Texas
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
Does anyone know where I can take DD for a good boot fitting near the DFW area? 

DD is 50# and in ISI Freestyle 3-4.  Her coach has suggested that it might be time to get a good fitting for her as she's outgrowing her most recent pair and we've yet to have a really great boot for her.  For anyone local, she started in Riedells fitted at the galleria, but she struggled from the start with the toe area being too narrow.  We then went to a person's home for a personal fitting, and they put her in Jackson Elles.  She had a lot of trouble breaking them in -- much more so than the Riedells.  She might have been overbooted?  Her coach doesn't have any suggestions for a place for a good fitting.  I'm willing to go quite a ways to get a good fitting. 

With that background, any suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Boot Fitting in North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »
At the FS 3/4 level, I doubt your daughter is overbooted in Elle's - my daughter (8yo, 60lbs) has been in those since she was only in Basic 4, and she broke hers in fairly easily.  She is about to outgrow them and we will probably just get another pair since they have worked so well for her.

I don't really have any specific help for you, but since you have several rinks in the area it might be worth calling around and having fittings done at all of them - see what each of them suggest.

Offline DFWMommy

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
Going to different places for opinions is a good idea.  My daughter has been in the elles for 8 months now, and they are only very slightly beginning to show that bend on the side of the ankle.  I wonder why she has struggled with it so much.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
I've found that Todd (Blades by Todd) at the sports shop in the Nytex rink is quite knowledgeable.  He does my sharpenings and mountings.  I bought my last pair at Ice Ice Baby at Polar Ice House at Grapevine Mills, but did have to be a bit astute as she originally ordered a little bigger (wider) than was desirable.  (Admittedly, I sort of ride the line on the widths, so that's irksome.)

Depending on when you need a fitting, you may want to see if any fitters from Harlick or other brands make an appearance at the Cannon Texas Open in July.