You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fabric Paint recommendations please  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Fabric Paint recommendations please
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
OK, I know I shouldn't have shown the new dress to my dear, but somewhat blunt, friend who always believes it telling the truth no matter how much it hurts the recipients feelings.........
and she did just tell me what I already knew - that the dress is truly awful, and the odd combination of colours really doesn't help. At least she offered to help me try to paint over the worst bits but neither one of us is particularly craft-y so I need some recommendations for fabric paints please.
Also if anyone has any helpful hints or tips on how to apply fabric paint etc. then they would be extremely gratefully received. We'd need to paint onto fabric paint which has been applied to velvet and mesh / net.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Fabric Paint recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
Jacquard Textile Colors. I have used this paint to paint spandex and it remains flexible/stretchy and is waterproof (if you mix in a setting medium also available to purchase). You can thin with water, mix colors, or just paint straight. I handpainted 35 unitards with this and was VERY happy with the results. Not affiliated, yadda yadda, just a satisfied customer. I purchased from Dharma Trading.

I have not used it on stretch velvet, my suggestion with that is to be careful of the nap when brushing paint on. When painting mesh, you want something underneath to catch excess paint - paper towel, scrap cloth, wax paper...

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation and the hints - I hadn't actually thought about the paint going through the mesh (it actually seems very dense) - as I said this is very new to me  :-[. I'll be painting over the paint which is already on the velvet so hopefully it won't be a problem, although it does explain why those areas look uneven.

Oh, sorry about this but I have another question - according to Tina the paint had to be fixed using glitter (I asked for no glitter on the dress and was told that wasn't possible because of the paint) - is this correct? Is there another way to fix the paint please?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
I'm not sure what she could mean by that...If I could see a photo of the dress I might have some more suggestions. You can PM me if you'd prefer.