You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Psyching Yourself Up  (Read 2222 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Psyching Yourself Up
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
What do you do to psych yourself into practicing harder or stepping on the ice for a test, show or competition?

I have an ecclectic playlist of songs on my ipod that I use for practices.  When fatigue or boredom starts to set in, I put on my headphones and skate to music only I can hear.  Strange, but it works.

Before performing, I run through my routine in my head while listening to the music on repeat.  I discovered a long time ago that, if I "resign myself" to giving my best performance, I usually do well.  Mainly, I don't let fear or doubt sneak in while I wait because I commit solidly to what I'm about to do.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: Psyching Yourself Up
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
Have a glass of wine!  :)  That worked nicely for my last test and my synchro team often has a drink between skates at competitions.  It helps relax us.

For practices I usually just chat a lot and when I get cold it's time to get motivated and warmed up.  For shows I just figure whatever happens happens it's just a show.  For a competition, I bounce around and stretch and warm up and start telling myself I can do it, it's only X amount of minutes.  I usually have the thought "why do I still put myself through this" and then I remind myself it is because I love it and love that everyone in the stands will be watching me and I love performing. 

I would rather peace and quiet that having music playing to motivate me which is hard with the synchro because it is all about pumping the skaters up with music.  I am happy to just sit quietly with my thoughts and when I feel butterflies I just do some deep breaths and calm myself down.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:57:44 AM »
Performing in front of people is enough motivation for me to practice harder. As for fighting stage fright...can't comment on that. I've only had one competition and I was really nervous that day. I hope I won't make the same mistake again!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
I always get nervous, so I have learned how to deal with my nerves. It's gotten better over the years, but I am prepared that I will always freak out waiting for warm-up to start.

I generally start prepping an hour before  my event. I make sure I'm dressed and have hair/makeup done by then so I don't have to worry about it. iPod goes on then and I stay pretty within myself - my friends know generally I only talk to my coach, though I may say a few passing words here and there. I start with running to get warm, then stretch a bit. Do off-ice jumps, then more stretching. Run my program on land a couple of times - one to do the jumps and such in their spots, and one focusing  just on the expression. Then skates on and walk in them to loosen them up just enough that I'm comfortable. I listen to music up until the warm up, and then if I'm nervous and have a late skating order I will do so after warm-up too.

I really try not to focus on placement.  I set a goal for each competition - like, hit my camel spin, or skate slean on my jumps- and focus on that instead. I don't watch others in my group because I don't want to worry about what anyone else did or didn't do.

Although it may not sound like it from all of this, I truly love competing.