You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: coach recommendation in san jose, CA area  (Read 3878 times)

Offline tdharon

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
coach recommendation in san jose, CA area
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:09 AM »
hi, i am sorry this question is region specific, but i don't know too many people around here to ask for recommendation for skating coach for an 8 year old girl who's very timid on ice,  always afraid to fall. she's in early freestyle, and to my untrained eyes, is still not very sound technically. the teachers in her current ice skating ring and her private instructor do not seem to care much about techniques and fundamentals.   it's known in our skating community that this ice ring is not for serious skaters.
i am thinking of taking her to san jose ice skating ring where i have heard the instructors are very good. 
i would like to find an instructor who can focus on basics: postures, blade work, spin, techniques, etc...,  and who can basically motivate  a skater to be the best she can be, without any competition in mind.

thank you in advance.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: coach recommendation in san jose, CA area
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
What rink are you at? I know a coach in that area, who in fact was ISI coach of the year.

Aaaaand, I'm sorry. Coach is in San Diego, not San Jose. Won't do you any good obviously.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
FWIW: Sharks Ice at San Jose - Coaching Staff
http://www.sharksiceatsanjose.com/skating_lessons/PrivateSkatingLessons-2007-04-27.asp
I don't know anyone, sorry.  there could be other coaches that weren't listed since it's from 2007.  You'd have to go there and check it out yourself.

If your skater is only taking group lessons, it's time for you to make a change since you're unhappy with her progress.  Some skaters do well in groups, but many progress better with private lessons because they have to work harder - there aren't other skaters to distract/divide the coach's attention.

A group lesson program is only as good as its Director.  The Director sets the tone for passing standards, educates the instructors and manages the overall program.  Some rinks have a hard time finding instructors if there are better-run, competing programs.  Plus, instructors have to be assigned to groups based on the student registrations.  Ex: for an adult group, the instructor should be an adult with excellent verbal communication skills. A toddler class is fine with a young, inexperienced instructor who brings fun and humor.  Two of the programs I used to work for put their most-experienced instructors on the lowest-level groups, where they could do the most good.  There are some higher-level coaches that don't teach groups at all, so you may not have crossed paths.

A private coach can really help reluctant skaters overcome their fears and focus on proper skills.  If you haven't already done so, take some time to check out the freestyle sessions at the rink.  Figure out which coaches have skaters with proper skills, then talk to the parents and ask about their experience thus far.

Be very aware that the best skaters are those who have set their weekly schedule around school and skating.  They don't just show up for a lesson and leave until the next one; those skaters are practicing several days each week, sometimes twice a day.  Ice time and practicing really does make a huge difference in a skater's development.

At her level, your daughter should be practicing for 2-4 hours each week in addition to her lesson.

Now, if she's in a private setting now, you should talk to her coach about your technique concerns.  It could be that your daughter needs more ice time or it's time for a coaching change.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
I don't know about the programs at San Jose Shark arena but I do know that it is a very nice skating community - we have an ice-dance team from our region who work with coaches there.  They love it!

I think you just have to check it out and talk to people to find a good situation for your daughter.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »
OT: Not that it will help the OP, but is Rudy Galindo still teaching in SJ?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tdharon

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
hi,  thank you everyone for your suggestions. truly appreciate all your comments.