You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade mount  (Read 1447 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Blade mount
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
How are your blades mounted?  Is the back of the heel plate flush with the edge of the heel or is it shorter?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Blade mount
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
Mine is about 3/16" shorter, but the next size up would have been too long.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
Mine's shorter. I don't think the back of the heel plate should be flush with the edge of the heel...

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
My blades are 1/4 inch shorter - flush at the front, shorter at the back. Every blade that I have gotten has been the 1/4" shorter than the sole of the skate.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
I've had end-to-end mountings, where both plates are flush with the ends.

When I have had 1/4" shorter blades, they are mounted flush with the front.  The gap is at the heel.

Technique varies based on the skate manufacturer/model.  Klingbeil prefers end-to-end mounting, whereas Riedell suggests the 1/4" shorter lengths.  Jackson's stock skate sets are all over the board because the blade lengths don't match all the boot lengths.  Sometimes, you will see a stock set mounted with a small gap at the front as well as at the heel because that's the best way to make it fit.  (That's also why Jackson's laces are incredibly long - they try to carry as little inventory as possible, so they use the long laces in multiple sized-boots.)

Don K. Explained that his skates have a smaller sole than the comparable sized skates from other mfgs, so he prefers end-to-end.  He said that, if you looked at the edge of the sole, it was smaller than the leather upper.  He said other mfgs' soles come out past the upper.  I couldn't find any photos that illustrate that, though.

What really matters is having the toepick and rocker placed properly under the forefoot so toe jumps, spins and turns aren't a challenge.  I've always felt that the problem with my stock Jackson Competitors was two-fold: a little long on the right foot, which put the toe rake and rocker too far forward for me to control.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
I have been in the same brand and size boot/blade for a while now (the only thing that has changed in about 12 years is the width - from a B up to a C and then back down to a B and the brand of blade - Coronation Comet to a Pattern 99 to a Paramount with a Pattern 99 rocker), and mine are pretty much end to end with a tiny gap at the heel. When I order new boots, my fitter always specifies to Harlick that the soles need to be made to fit a 9 1/4" blade. That way, since the boots are hand made and there is a certain tolerance there, we can be certain that my blades will fit and that there won't be an adjustment for a different sized blade.