You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Finally had my hip surgery  (Read 2012 times)

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
Finally had my hip surgery
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
I had it on 8/2 and turns out there was more damage than just the ligament.  The labrum had to be repairs with anchors and the ligamentum tere had to be debrided so at least it was saved.  As of today, no pain and never really had any.  I am rocking the physical therapy but not pushing too hard.  They said I'm doing really well.  I have excellent range of motion.  I can already fully weight bear on that leg too.  I am still on crutches because they don't want me to fall and that hip lock up and do more damage.  I can't drive either because I don't have the muscle control or strength to move from brake to gas.  They said that the skating has really helped with my recovery and that I am ahead of schedule. That made me happy :)  I start weight resistance next Tuesday, a week and a half after surgery!  I LOVE PT and do it every day at home on my own.  I only go in to learn new stuff once a week.  It will be a long time before I can get back on the ice though.  So in a nut shell, my injury was worse than they thought but I am on the mend!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Finally had my hip surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
Glad to hear that your recovery is going so well! I hope that you do get back on the ice sometime in the near future. IIRC, you were moving to a location with no rink, though, right? Does it look like you'll get another opportunity to skate again? You've accomplished so much!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
Get well soon!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
Glad the surgery was such a success!! :D

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
Sounds like things are going very well post-op, and I bet you are glad that you went ahead with the surgery now that you know there was more damage than they originally thought!

I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and that you can return to the ice easily for the time you have left to skate.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:25:30 AM »
Congratulations on making so much improvement so fast. I'm now nearly 4 weeks post op (shoulder so I've got perfectly good legs for skating), but I've discovered that this is the point where the frustration starts setting in. The "excitement" of being post op and doing exercises all day every day starts wearing off and you just want life to get back to normal.
Just bare with it and don't rush back onto the ice. Just remember that they're concerned about you having a fall and undoing all their wonderful work and it does take the body a while to heal on the inside even if you're doing really well in the observable measures. (And while this might not be relevant for you, I needed to write it to remind myself not to rush back skating!).

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
Get well soon!