You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Are Blisters a sign of Breakdown?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Are Blisters a sign of Breakdown?
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
I'm in Riedell 43ts, and I've had them for around 10 months, I skate 15 hours per week, not including the timeI spend teaching LTS. Within the past two weeks I have been getting huge blisters/corns around the heal and achilles area of both feet. This hasn't happened until recently, so I'm wondering if it's the way I'm tying them, or if they're starting to break down. I usually make sure that my heal is all the way to the back of the boot when I tie. I'm hoping that they're aren't breaking down quite yet, I've only had them less than a year. But given the fact that they undergoe daily use, it's possible. I've been doing axels and doubles on them. Also, do you know of any product that could help with this, bunga pads etc? Right now I'm going through 15 bandaids and 6 corn pads a day.  :( Thanks for your help.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Are Blisters a sign of Breakdown?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
Well, I don't have anything to say about the boots, but I've found these useful. They lasted a couple of days for me. They're like little silicone clouds that hover over the sore spot and keep the boot from rubbing against it.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
I think the heel of your skate has loosened up as the padding compresses with wear.  You could ask for an adjustment at a pro shop.  If you can't, then wear the blister pads until they heal, then insert gel heel cups (from the drug store - Dr. Scholls) to fill in the space.   
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
I'd consider getting them relined at a shoe repair shop.  That can make the heal more snug.

Do your heels move in the boot?  During jumps?

Do the uppers bend easily side to side?

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:29 PM »
I'd consider getting them relined at a shoe repair shop.  That can make the heal more snug.

How does this relining work? The heels of my Jackson Freestyle have become loose and I remedy this by using cosmetic pads. It would be much easier though if I have them relined, but how do I make sure that the shoe repair shop will use the same type of foam, etc?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
How does this relining work? The heels of my Jackson Freestyle have become loose and I remedy this by using cosmetic pads. It would be much easier though if I have them relined, but how do I make sure that the shoe repair shop will use the same type of foam, etc?

My skate guy glues a leather padding insert into my skates about about 6months of use - I have narrow heels and when the padding compresses they move. This is the 3rd pair of skates I've done it too. He only charges around $25 and it works great! I'm sure a good shoe repair shop could do it too.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »

They didn't.  I think the stuff they used was better.  I had my Jackson Freestyles done at Mont Clare Shoe Repair in Chicago.  There's a thread here somewhere.  The whole  rear interior was replaced.  It was cheap.

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
I wear custom skates and don't have a problem with blisters... But I work at a news station and am running around in heels for hours on end, seven days a week! I use to go through band aids, moleskin, anything to stop from getting blisters, but I found a product that really helps (though it doesn't really seem like it would.) It's by BandAid, called Friction Block, and I rub it on the spots I know booster easily. Haven't had any problems with blisters since. I wonder if it would work in situations where skates are causing blisters?? May be worth a try!

Here's the product, I found it at WalMart in the BandAid isle for like $5: http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-active-friction-block-stick/qxp163404

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. The lining in my boot doesn't seem to be too, too, warn down. But there is a round area in the heal of each boot inside, about the size of a dime, that is completely worn down. The padding/liner is totaly worn off. This leads me to believe that my heal is slipping? This hasn't happened earlier, just recently. Noticed it most on jump take-offs when I roll up off of my toe, it kills my heel!  :( Now, a blister is forming on the inner side of each ankle, my goodness.  88)

I was considering trying various materials to stick in there, to prevent the rubbing! Right now, I'm "Mummifying" my feet with gauze bandaids and blister pads, and that isn't 100% working. 

Yes,my heels do move very slightly on take-offs of jumps. When I roll up off my toe, it seems my heal moves up slightly. I have narrow heels, and a wide foot. So I'm in an A/B width.

I have noticed that the uppers are becoming a bit looser. I'm starting to get a bit of a crease in the fletch notch area. If I were to cup my hand around the back of the boot and squeeze, the ankle area does bend in and out fairly easily. The boots feel plenty stiff when I have them tied sufficiently, but the blisters are becoming way bothersome.  :-[
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
Sounds not broken down to me, but maybe relining will help with heal movement.  Beware it is not a quick fix; my relining was as difficult as breaking in new (but much cheaper).  I had big red marks down the backs of my ankles.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
Sounds not broken down to me, but maybe relining will help with heal movement.  Beware it is not a quick fix; my relining was as difficult as breaking in new (but much cheaper).  I had big red marks down the backs of my ankles.

They don't feel broken down to me, so that's good.  :D I will look into relining, or possibly purchasing bunga pads. Thanks everyone. :)