You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lift angle mist vs. Legacy  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Cryo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Lift angle mist vs. Legacy
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
I was wondering if the lift angle of the Ultima legacy was significantly different than for the eclipse mist or coronation ace?  I saw a you tube video that showed Jackson blades having really low lift angles (like a worn out blade they said), but not really sure how reliable the source is. I don't have a pro shop to go check either.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Lift angle mist vs. Legacy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
I saw that video too. I don't know about the blades you are asking about, but I've skated on Paramounts, Gold Seals, and Legacys and all of them have worked well for me after a small adjustment period.  As far as I can tell, there is no signifigant difference in how they effect skating, at least at my level (low) of skating.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
I had ISE Sterlings before switching to Ultima Legacy and the Legacy has a higher lift angle to the Sterlings. It's fairly comparable to the Coronation Ace as my coach would have complained if it wasn't as she was frustrated with the Sterlings.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
I'm not convinced that any of the differences really matter on the ice - not when you consider that there ARE quite a few top level skaters using ultima blades.  They can't be that bad :)

It's one thing to show the differences in a video online, but they aren't providing any evidence to back up the claims on the ice.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
I don't think there is much doubt that there is a smaller lift angle on most Jackson Ultima blades than on most MK and Wilson blades, regardless of which precise definition you use of "lift angle".

But is that good or bad? There is no consensus.

If I ran a pro shop I could say: Buy all the blades, and see which one you like.  :)

Offline Cryo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
Thanks was worried low lift angle might cause daughter some face plants moving up from ultima mark iv, but it seems it won't necessarily.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
if she's already in an ultima blade I wouldn't expect much of a transition to another ultima blade even if it's not the same model.  My daughter went from ultima MK IV to MK Double Stars (also a low level blade) and there was basically no adjustment for her at her level.  I've just ordered her new skates and the only reason I didn't opt for the stock blade was that I got a really good deal on some coro ace's on ebay :)