You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Test requirements in different countries  (Read 1832 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Test requirements in different countries
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »
Rave and rant about differences in test elements or requirements! I was surprised to find spread eagle or ina bauer as required elements in Aussie Skate. Also that UK filed moves tests let the skater select 4 out of 6 choices at each level.

If the rulebooks are available online, would you kindly share them as well? :D
Here is the USFS version: http://www.usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
Re: Test requirements in different countries
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
The UK Field Moves tests don't allow you to choose at the lower levels - it's only Level 8-10. The order of the moves at the lower/mid levels is totally different from the USFSA MITF - for example, we encounter cross strokes in level 2 but Power 3s in 4!

Generally, as compared to the US tests, they are a bit less boring at the mid levels (e.g., the US Int/Novice/Junior tests often just have a rocker/counter/loop etc one after the other on alternate feet - we get more interesting patterns) but it reverses at the top levels. I love that the Junior and Senior tests have a nice step sequence as the end pattern. Even for the final test there is no pattern that combines everything together, which is annoying. Three turns - single, double, etc. etc. also feature prominently in all the levels for the UK, which is increasingly noticeable in the higher levels.

ETA: sadly nothing online that I can share. NISA, the governing body, is notoriously opaque. In fact, it's not possible to find the test requirements on their own website, for anything beyond the learn to skate levels!

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »

This is the only video I can find online of any of the UK tests - Level 5, in this instance. The 4th and last pattern is ghastly - a RFI choctaw, cross in front onto a RBO, step back down onto the LBO straight into a LBO3, then hold the LFI exit edge into a LFI choctaw.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
I'm sure there is an Aussie Skate list somewhere, but I always find typing it out easier.

So with Aussie Skate you have the six Learn to Skate levels (Basic 1 & 2, Novice 1 & 2, Intermediate 1 & 2), then there is what they call the "Bridging Program" with four Free Skate levels.

Free Skate 1:

- Rink stroking
- 1-foot spin (correct entry and exit, 3 revs)
- Lunge (R & L)
- Waltz jump
- Ballet jump (R OR L)

- Mazurka (R OR L)
- Forward Attitude (R & L)
- FO spirals (R & L)

- Basic FO consecutive edges*
- Basic FI consecutive edges*

Free Skate 2

- Forward cross-leg spin/scratch spin (min 3 revs)
- BO pivot (R & L)
- BI pivot (R & L)
- Spread-eagle (CW & ACW)
- Half flip jump (no split)

- Half Lutz jump
- Salchow jump
- Waltz 3's

- Basic forward change of edge consecutive pattern (beginning R & L) (FO-FI/FI-FO)
- FI spirals (R & L)

Free Skate 3

- Backspin with free foot crossed over (min 3 rev)
- Sit spin (min 3 rev)
- Advanced forward stroking (crossovers in a figure 8 )
- Forward power 3-turns (R & L)

- BO 3-turns (R & L)
- BI 3-turns (R & L)
- Toe loop jump
- Basic BO consecutive edges*
- Basic BI consecutive edges*
- BO spirals (R & L)

Free Skate 4

- Camel spin (min 3 rev)
- Change of foot Upright spin (min 3 rev per foot)
- Advanced backward stroking (crossovers in a figure 8 )

- Forward outside cross-rolls 4-6 consecutive (alternating feet)
- 5 step Mohawk pattern (it goes into detail)
- Loop jump
- Waltz jump/loop jump combination
- Flip jump OR Lutz jump

- Ina Bauer (R & L)
- BI spirals (R & L)

Notes:

- required competition elements are in bold.
- the edge patterns marked with a * are the ones found on the Preliminary test (though held at a higher standard).
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
Thanks karne! Does the rulebook specify the requirements for each skill in detail? I found that ISI is very, very specific about minute details, but not sure about USFS as I have not looked at it closely.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »
Thanks karne! Does the rulebook specify the requirements for each skill in detail? I found that ISI is very, very specific about minute details, but not sure about USFS as I have not looked at it closely.

I've written out exactly what is written in my handbook. The actual rulebook may specify something different, but I don't know. Most of the time the judges are looking for specific lengths/numbers, for example, three waltz 3s on each foot, spirals held for at least three seconds, glides the length of the body etc.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!