You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A thread for the skating-fashionably challenged.  (Read 13444 times)

Offline Doll

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
A thread for the skating-fashionably challenged.
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
I'm new to this whole skating thing.

Skating seems to have it's own culture of fashion.  I admit, I am somewhat fashion challenged in the rest of the world at the best of times, so when it comes to figuring out (pardon the pun ;)) the skating fashions, I'm lost. ;)  Reality though is that if my daughter is going to have any skating clothing (whether dresses, skirts, jackets/pants etc - I'll be sewing them myself (I'm an advanced seamstress and money is tight!) so I need to start studying... I would like to at least attempt to understand!

So tell me - what's tacky, what's not?  I have noticed in skating - competition dresses especially etc - the normal rules of tackiness don't apply (I doubt anyone would sport their rhinestone encrusted bodysuits to the grocery store, but they're very pretty on ice!).  But there is also likely opinions on what is a tacky dress - I just don't know what that is.  And who knows maybe there are some fashionably challenged people other than me who can learn a thing or two as well!

Obviously there are also varying tastes involved as well (and also different age groups involved, who might have different tastes ie: teenagers vs. adults), so let's try to keep this amicable and stay away from being too passionate about our dislikes, and those who happen to like something that another doesn't can take it with a grain of salt.  Let's have fun with it :)

Some questions to get the discussion rolling - is there such a thing as "too much sparkle"?  Is a bit of sparkle acceptable for practice wear, or should you avoid it except for competitions?  Are there certain accessories or looks that new skaters seem to flock to that more experienced skaters roll their eyes at a little?  Certain colours or styles that are too overused and boring?

Pictures also help!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: A thread for the skating-fashionably challenged.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
The funny thing about skating "fashion" is that skating has forced me to make fashion choices I otherwise wouldn't have been caught dead with. Like wearing heels with yoga pants (I forget my sneakers to change into after work half the time) or going to the grocery store in leggings and a tank top.

I'm sure the fashions vary by region. If your daughter were at my rink in Virginia, she'd probably want a pair of Chloe Noel spiral pants (http://www.chloenoel.com/site/skatewear/pants/P06/P06.html) and a jacket to go with them, which she'd alternate with our club's jacket.

A skating mom tried to convince me that Chloe Noel pants were worth the money because they were somewhat water-resistant. No thanks. All my extra money goes towards ice time and my coach. I'm perfectly happy to wear $20 Old Navy yoga pants or some polyester/spandex pants (also somewhat water resistant) from TJ Maxx.

A lot of skaters wear tights under their pants to keep warm, but I've never found that necessary. Over-the-boot tights are the norm; almost nobody wears anything else.

Some of our skaters wear sweatshirts from previous holiday shows. T-shirts from competitions are also common. Almost everyone has a club jacket. Tank tops or tighter t-shirts are also common; when it's colder a lot of us wear thermal shirts.

Any kind of body suit, whether you're practicing or competing, generally gets odd looks at my rink. Practicing in your competition dress or any dress, unless there's a comp the next week and you need to get used to it, is generally something the younger, beginner skaters do that the older, more advanced skaters would never do. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "a bit of sparkle" but I've seen some practice jackets with rhinestones.

Also, another thing nobody would ever do is wear a heavy coat like a ski jacket. Our club jackets are fleece. If that's not enough, you might wear a sweatshirt under it. But never a heavy coat! This is probably also because coaches wouldn't be able to see the upper body too well if a skater was wearing one.

I think it's quite possible to fit into the skating fashion scene without spending a ton. She may ask for some of the pricier skating clothing she'll see other skaters wearing or in pro shops, but long-sleeved t-shirts, black leggings or yoga pants and a warm (but not bulky!) jacket will keep her warm and not stand out. Also, the thin knit gloves that cost $1 a pair are common and work well. They get kind of nasty after awhile, so I stock up when they go on sale at Target at the end of the winter.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
At my rink, anything goes. But if you are concerned, snug-fit black athletic pants cannot go wrong for practice wear, youth or adult. My pet peeve is dress / skirt that does not cover the bum when stationary, again, youth or adult.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »
If you're looking for making something for competition, I would think your daughter's coach would be a good guide. If she's very young, it's usually considered, well, bad taste to put so much sparkle on the costume that it looks like she's going to the  Olympics. Also, a number of comments on the boards have indicated a general disinclination towards black on young girls. Also, something suggestive on a young girl is frowned on (and yes this happens. Along with very little girls skating to music with suggestive lyrics. )

Since you're an advanced seamstress, there's a website on costume color from a former olympic skater here.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:35:26 PM »
Go to local competitions.  If you review the threads, you'll see all sorts of debates over "what is appropriate".  In my region, what other regions consider to be "okay" would be considered to be garish and over the top. So, you need to go see what other kids at your kids level wear, and go from there. From the perspective of a judge in our region, which my DD is, they like to see little girls dressed as little girls, in modest dresses that look warm and comfortable.  They dislike illusion, bare arms, shoulders, etc, and excessive rhinestoning ... yet, in other areas, apparently those sorts of dresses are the norm!

In terms of practice clothing, again, go to the rink. See what the little girls wear. If they wear skirts ... wear a skirt. If they wear pants ... wear pants.  Just make sure that it's practical, comfortable, and within your budget. Don't blow your cash chasing the fanciest clothes you can afford, and be sure to check out the used skating clothing sales to save $$$.  You do want your kid to fit in, but, not if it is at the expense of lessons.

Spend your money on skates that are right for her level, good coaching, and a good pair of hard guards. Skating is notorious for flash and cash type stuff; Zuca bags are one of my pet peeves, as little girls get them, and yet, their parents wail over the cost of skating lessons and skates (can't figure that one out).

And, very importantly, stick to your values.  If you think something is inappropriate or overly expensive, then, don't buy it.  You have to start early with your daughter to let her know the difference between "needs" and "wants" and what budget means, which will help you keep costs under control.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
My pet peeve. If the child is in rental skates, no skating costume. It looks stupid.
If the little girl is skating on public ice--she should wear trousers not a skating skirt. I've seen a skirt over very heavy tights that are actually tight pants-- maybe okay--but a skirt over thin tights or bare legs--even with a built in dance pant--just no, no , no on public, especially if she's in rental skates.
There are too many wierdos with cameras out there. Parents and children have no expectation of privacy on public sessions. Dress your child accordingly.

I simply don't understand the parents that spend chunks of money on dressing their darling up in a stoned off the rack costume when she can't skate.

Adults on the other hand, have every right to be as stupid as they want to. But little kids need to be protected from their own ignorance.

As an adult, I skate in L.L. Bean active wear and a jacket. In the dead of winter I have worn an insulated bomber jacket on ice, and very glad to have it. In summer the jackets get lighter and lighter, until August when they're unlined linen.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
ITA with looking at your rink and the kids your child's age.  Some rinks everyone is in CN and other rinks they are in dresses and yet another, all in skirts.

You can't go wrong with a simple skirt and fitted tee.  

As for bling, dd's jacket has a little sparkle.  Practice wear typically isn't stoned aside from some trendier looks with some accents.

Dd's comp dresses have a modest amount of sparkle.  She has pretty coloring so she doesn't need much to show up on the ice.  :D

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
My daughter skates in some warm base layer leggings ($12.99 at Target last fall) over tights ($3), with a pair of waterproof rain pants ($7 from REI's clearance rack) on top.  She wears a normal tee or LS shirt on top with a fleece jacket... none of it is actual "skating" clothing and I think it would be silly to buy any for her at this stage, and she's been in classes for half a year.

IMO warm is more important than fashion when they're just learning.  Sure, she would LOVE to have a dress but she'd also freeze on the ice unless 90% of it was covered up and she wore heavy leggings underneath - so it wouldn't be quite as "cute" as she'd like.  Lots of kids are getting the cute factor with those little tu-tu type skirts being sold everywhere now for less than $15.

I usually wear running clothing (shirts and pants) with tights underneath... even my tights aren't skating tights, I prefer dance tights.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
Spend your money on skates that are right for her level, good coaching, and a good pair of hard guards. Skating is notorious for flash and cash type stuff; Zuca bags are one of my pet peeves, as little girls get them, and yet, their parents wail over the cost of skating lessons and skates (can't figure that one out).
That's a pet peeve of mine too. I got a Transpack Ice last year and really like it, and they're much cheaper. My only complaint is they're not really big enough for carrying around extra clothes. Once you put your jacket, gloves, soakers and music in there, it's pretty full. But they're well worth the money; a girl at my rink has had hers for eight years and it's still going strong.

Lots of kids are getting the cute factor with those little tu-tu type skirts being sold everywhere now for less than $15.
That look is also popular for little girls skating here, with leggings underneath.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
At our rink, the dedicated (teen) skaters wear leggings or Chloe Noel pants along with a t-shirt and perhaps a jacket or sweatshirt, if it's very cold that day. There's one girl who always wears athletic shorts over her tights, instead of leggings.

The younger (pre-teen and below) girls tend to wear plain skating dresses with jackets or sweaters over them.

The adult skaters wear leggings or fleece pants with sweaters or jackets. Some wear hats or thick headbands, most wear gloves. The teens all wear over-the-boot tights, but the adults don't. I wear a short skating-style skirt over my leggings, just for modesty, since my leggings are pretty tight.

I don't see much sparkle unless everyone's doing a dress rehearsal for an upcoming performance or competition.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »
At the local rinks and the ice skating club that I belong to in Ohio, it appears that the fashion trend among kids and adults alike seems to be this. If a child or adult is just skating for fun, for social contact, for personal enjoyment, not testing or competing, is a beginner, and the like, they will usually wear a warm top and/or a jacket, and pants or trousers. If the child or adult gives the appearance of being serious about their practice, if they skate to constantly challenge themselves, or they are known as a competitive skater or tester, they will usually wear an ice skating practice dress, or a warm top and a skating skort, or a club jacket over a Tee and leggings. This is not a hard and fast rule, and certainly can go either way, it's just what I have observed over the years. One thing that I never see, except for in competition, is kids or adults who do wear ice skating dresses, and see them wear dresses that look like beach or swim wear, with bare everything and spaghetti straps. The rinks here are just too dog-gone COLD, even in the summer !!! And almost everybody wears over-the-boot tights.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:07 PM »
Our rink ... up to about age 10, Chloe, usually with a Zuca (except for grumpy parents like me).
After about age 10, nobody would be caught dead in Chloe ... it's all lululemon. Top to bottom. Tanks, leggings and jackets, booty shorts on some (although those are now so totally out of style, really, WHO would be caught dead in them? 88)) With lululemon gym bags to carry skates. And lululemon workout gear for off-ice training.

I totaled up the head to toe on one of our skaters ... $550 in lulu clothes (including headband) and $1700 skates.  Parent freaked out over a lost pair of skate guards ... me, I would be freaking out over the brains that must have leaked out of their ears for spending that much on an 11-year old in the middle of a growth spurt :)

Oh yeah ... nobody is caught dead in a skirt.  Like, nobody, excepting 6 year olds on learn to skate :) Over the boot tights ... nuh-uh.  Nobody wears them except for a few synchro skaters. 

Club 10 minute drive away ... skaters wear basic leggings, t-shirts, club fleece.  But, everyone has a Zuca!!!!!!!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
I'm really glad it isn't so much of a fashion show where dd skates. 

Our main rink has old school no nonsense attitudes from top down and they want girls to be in the frame of mind for skating so the girls do wear practice skirts if they have private lessons.  Even the teens!

Zuca is common.  Dd wanted one for her birthday three years ago.  The bag is going strong still.  It's nice to have a place to sit (we don't have a lot of benches for getting skates on/off).

Dd wears footed tights most of the time.  She has otb tights for her artistic program because it looks nicer for the style of dress and music.  Her footed tights look great with her freeskate.  You can get a good idea of how the looks work by looking at skating competitions online.  Imho, nothing is prettier than clean bright white skates and clean laces - esp with quick and lively footwork.  :)  Otb tights can make legs look longer, more dance-like so that is why it works with the other program.

I am careful to not say things like "wouldn't be caught dead" or focus on brand names because if she were to parrot the comments she would hurt feelings.  And kids have enough to deal with than to worry about a tag in their clothing.

So go with what makes your skater comfortable and see what the other kids are wearing (she can choose to blend or look different).

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Because our rink's refrigeration system is broken, we have a few seperate fashion "trends":

Low-level young kids: OTT skating dresses, Zucas, flashing guards, the works. It looks ridiculous, honestly.

Everyone else:

Summer: Dance shorts/skorts/skating skirts with skating tights (OTB is more common but varies) and a tank top/light t-shirt/singlet top. Very, very occasionally, a plain dress. (Usually just before tests when skaters are getting jittery.)

Winter: Leggings/pants with skating tights/socks, t-shirt, a jacket and gloves. The leggings/pants are sometimes Chloe Noel but I'm seeing an upswing in Target exercise wear. Their range has expanded and their clothes are great for practicing in. Lycra pants baby! The jackets are frequently the state jackets, or the light exercise ones you can get from Rebel sport or again, Target.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
Locally, it's chloe noel for girls and then at some point it's black tights and colored tops. I don't know the age spreads.  Adult women skate in jackets and stretch trousers, except for the tall, skinny ice dancer who wears black tights under a short dress. Two groups wear jackets with sparkles on them; coaches and pre-teens. We have our fair share of booty 'hi I'm a slut' shorts--mostly on older teens and collegiate skaters.

Zucas for kids. This I can say is for pre-teens only. Anyone old enough to drive themselves to the rink just carries stuff in duffels. There are a handful of suitcases, mostly belonging to coaches. One of the ice monitors has 3 kids in skates and a toddler. She hauls everything in and out of the rink in a baby carriage.

The adult women wear what they want. If there's nasty gossip about it, I must be the center of it, cause no one's told me. The men all pretty much wear insulated skating pants and loose white athletic shirts, except  one male coach who wears the usual insulated coach's pants and a tight fitting top to show off his muscles. Our few boy serious skaters are all neatly outfitted in all black, head to toe.

I will say, that I'm surprised that the women adult skaters tend to show up in full make up. Maybe it's a cultural thing in the south.

Personally, I want to comment about wearing long tailed shirts. I prefer Champion because they're so long they won't pull up or pull out if you fall. I saw a woman skater last week, doing a deep knee bend on the ice to loosen her knees and you could see her butt crack. Everyone tactfully looked away.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
I'm loving this thread!
After about age 10, nobody would be caught dead in Chloe ... it's all lululemon.
We must be uncool at my rink; almost all the Chloe is on pre-teens/teens over 10. I don't think I'd know luluemon if I saw it.

Also, around here, having over-the-boot tights that are really ripped gives you serious street cred. The more ripped, the better. I was really excited when my first pair finally snagged.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »
Here for practice it is either Chloe Noel or Lululemon. Most adult skaters are top to toe in Lululemon.

For competitions, I know some people who would say you can never have too much sparkle.  I agree.  Nothing is prettier than a super sparkly dress.

I noticed VASkater mentioned over the boot tights.  Those are a no no up here.  If you wear tights you wear footless or in your boot or especially the ones you pull down over the heels of your boots. 

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
I wear under armour (black), tops and leggings, over footed tights.  The UA isn't cheap, but it's less costly than skating clothing and lasts FOREVER.  I'm rough on my clothes too.  Also, black is easy to wash (cold water, hang dry) and doesn't stain.  I have a couple sets of leggings and tops, both worn and washed multiple times a week for many months, and they'll last for a number of years to come.  The advantage of not worrying about growth spurts!

Chloe Noel is big with the kids, and many adults wear pants or leggings (ny2 I think) depending on their level.  I'll see some kids in dresses, but pants are the norm.

I get wearing OTB tights, it certainly keeps your skates from being nicked up and dirty.  However, I've got pretty short legs and I wear OTB rights for competition, so I don't bother with them for practice.  I don't need to polish boots anyway!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
Complete Beginners = yoga trousers, jeggings or leggings mostly. Wee girls may wear glittery (usually pink / red / purple) skating dresses and the 6 and unders still penguin walking and falling every 3rd step = ski trousers.
Late Skate UK / passport level = black slim leg yoga trousers / leggings with ankle warmers (black for adults, colored for kids).
Working on NISA level 1 and up - kids = Chloe Noel, NY2 or black leggings (with or without ankle warmers - mostly black). Adults mostly stay in black yoga trousers / leggings with the odd chloe noel.

My rink is absolutely freezing so layers are the norm - most folks wear tights or leggings under the above! Almost no-one wears shorts or skirts / dresses (unless shortly before a competition / test).

Top half is usually L/S tshirt + sweatshirt/ athletic zip up and / or fleece or occasionally a black padded gillet. (Kids who compete (under 12s only) - The fleece is likely to have a name on in crystals or a skating figure doing a spiral or spin or a skate.)

I wear footless tights + Slim leg black yoga trousers with black ankle warmers, L/S tshirt plus a thin fleece. I often wear a 2nd fleece too for warm ups in winter as is bitterly cold on early morning patch.

... Not come across lululemon at all!

Kids bags - Skate UK passport triangle bag / zuca / bright flowery or patterened pull along case. Adults use triangle bag / Skate UK passport triangle bag /sports bag/ pull along case (usually less patterned ones!)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »
Here for practice it is either Chloe Noel or Lululemon. Most adult skaters are top to toe in Lululemon.

For competitions, I know some people who would say you can never have too much sparkle.  I agree.  Nothing is prettier than a super sparkly dress.

I noticed VASkater mentioned over the boot tights.  Those are a no no up here.  If you wear tights you wear footless or in your boot or especially the ones you pull down over the heels of your boots. 

Yes, lululemon is still very Canadian on the ice.  Saw quite a high percentage of our national team in their practice sessions in lulu ...you being my fellow Canadian here. 

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Yes, lululemon is still very Canadian on the ice.  Saw quite a high percentage of our national team in their practice sessions in lulu ...you being my fellow Canadian here. 

ITA about the lulu. Where my dd skates the little ones where skirts, dresses, and have Zuca bags. By 10 my dd was out of practice dresses and skirts and into black leggings and sports tops with a couple of sports jackets over top - our rink is very cold!  At some point they want a lulu bag (we got hers on sale!) Must say I don't miss the bulky Zuca bag.

We have tried a number of different brands of leggings (dd thinks Chloe Noel is ugly and only for little kids.) We have settled, for the most part, on Triple flip for both leggings and jackets. The website is: http://www.tripleflip.ca/store/catalog
You need to air dry their stuff, but it lasts a long time and is sturdier than many of the cheaper brands. Dd has triple flip legging that are three years old and still look brand new. The cheap cotton ones lasted about 6 months before the bottoms were shredded by the skate hooks and the seats had holes in them.

I think the most important thing is that they be comfortable and warm. Layers are best because they can strip off as they warm up. Dd will often start with a couple of tank tops, 2 sports jackets, and a fleece. By the time she has finished her stroking the fleece is gone. Then it depends what she is working on. The jackets go off and on as she needs them.

For tights, it is a mixture, but dd tends to wear skating socks under leggings, tights over just the top of her boots when wearing shorts, and in the boot tights for competing. She finds the over the boots ones a pain to do up and undo.

We don't have any sparkle on her practice wear as it gets washed way too often.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
I wear under armour (black), tops and leggings, over footed tights.  The UA isn't cheap, but it's less costly than skating clothing and lasts FOREVER. 

I switched to NY2Sportswear pants because some of their styles are cheaper than my former UA pants.  Plus I like the over the heel look. 

I had a lot of problems with cutting into the side seam of the under armour pants, so mine were riddled with fray-check and safety pins. So far no holes in my NY2 (which look like chloe noel)- and the oldest are over a year now.  I still wear the UA occasionally.

I just skate in a t-shirt. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
I skate in a jacket that cost me a little bit less than a Zuca bag--and it was on sale. Yeah, when you're a short little woman you sometimes take what you can get. The jacket also had nice zippered pockets. A must if you skate a lot on public and keep your (edit) keys and wallet on your person. So it's the absolutely perfect fitting jacket from some horribly expensive sportswear company. I have not regretted spending a single penny on it. I went through a half dozen ill fitting jackets before I found this one.

The rest of me? LL Bean from the clearance bin.

Offline Tennisany1

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »
I skate in a jacket that cost me a little bit less than a Zuca bag--and it was on sale. Yeah, when you're a short little woman you sometimes take what you can get. The jacket also had nice zippered pockets. A must if you skate a lot on public and keep your keeps and wallet on your person. So it's the absolutely perfect fitting jacket from some horribly expensive sportswear company. I have not regretted spending a single penny on it. I went through a half dozen ill fitting jackets before I found this one.

The rest of me? LL Bean from the clearance bin.

This is the key. Sometimes buying something cheaper ends up being more expensive in the long run. It can be tricky with growing kids, but we have found that on the stuff dd wears everyday, 6 days per week, week in and week out, it is worth getting something that will stand up to the washing. I have also found that the cheaper jackets often have really cheap zippers that don't stand up to the cold very well. Like I said earlier, our rink is really really cold!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
In the winter I like to wear a scarf when I skate. I'm a fragile and delicate flower, what can I say, I like to be toasty. Only sometimes I over heat. One day I stopped and started messing with the scarf but I couldn't untie it with my gloves on, my coach came up and said, "So we have to stop this lesson so you can make yourself beautiful?"  That was a lesson learned, now I just loop it around my neck and tuck it in my jacket. Overheat? It just peels loose in no time.