You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spectator skating chit chat  (Read 15715 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Spectator skating chit chat
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
I just felt this forum may need a general chit chat thread :) 

Looking forward to the World Team Trophy in Japan this month. Very surprised that Team Japan does not include Mao Asada (lower world ranking) nor Yuzuru Hanyu (ankle injury :(). Quite curious about Team USA assignment. Hoping all athletes have a blast and end the season with programs they are proud of!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Spectator skating chit chat
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:31:11 PM »
Hanyu has an ankle injury?   

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
I've decided to boycott any world team competitions - the Olympic committee favors this over synchro, which just seems so unfair to me!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
the Olympic committee favors this over synchro, which just seems so unfair to me!

I agree... I'd personally love to see world-class Synchro skating :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
I've decided to boycott any world team competitions - the Olympic committee favors this over synchro, which just seems so unfair to me!

I don't think it is the ISU that doesn't want synchro- it is the IOC.  They won't allow more competitors to the Olympics.  I think the ISU would be happy to have it added. 

I think this team competition is fantastic.  It may or may not be how the Olympic team event is run (details aren't out yet)- but it is basically a fluff event with great prize money.  I think anything that gives the skaters a chance to earn some money is a good thing.  Prize money in skating is just not enough to keep up with training expenses.  The Japanese federation (who hosts this event) has done a great job of giving good incentive to skaters to come (and unfortunately the ISU has given great negative incentive: skate, or no shows until after the event)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »
I'm more curious to know who Russia will send!

The pairs and ice dance I think are pretty set, and they'll probably send Leonova for the women, but I would LOVE to see them put a big vote of confidence in Gachinski and send him too. Right now I think confidence is what he needs. Sending Voronov instead or something would be a huge blow for him.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
Looking forward to the World Team Trophy in Japan this month... Quite curious about Team USA assignment.

Gracie Gold gets to go!! Well if she comes out near the top there will be lots of talk about Worlds assignment for Nice!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
I am very excited for Gracie.  She is a fun skater to watch.  I like watching Vanessa as well.  The kids at the rink will be thrilled to see a young skater go to WTT.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
I've loved watching Gracie on youtube for a couple of years now so I am super excited for the success she's had this season.  I hope she does great at WTT!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Confessions of a Covert Daisuke Takahashi Fan - a guilty pleasure
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/04/23/confessions-of-a-covert-daisuke-takahashi-fan/

I thought the article is making ordinary things out of proportion. Thought I'd be reading about secret societies out something, and what the Japanese aunties do seem like everyday normal stuff.

Wait, maybe I'm not that normal after all? :o

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
Japanese female culture is sexually repressed.  Think of the women living in the Victorian era when it comes to sex. So admitting to anyone that they enjoy watching more than skating is a huge no.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »
This sub-forum is so quiet ;)

Quite curious who will be Rockne Brubaker's new partner and whether the season will happen for him... So much drama in US pairs skating!!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:12 AM »
This forum has really been quiet in the fan skating area over the years - it used to be WAY more active but the fans have all moved over to FSU...

Do you lurk or post there?  It is kind of fun and they have a language and format all their own - it takes a bit of getting used to.

I am a huge fan - thinking of going to Skate America this year - it is in Seattle - so close and so cheap for 3 days of great skating!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
I mostly lurk over there, or sometimes post in MITF forum. So many things to look forward to this coming season... wait, the season has started, at least with JGP lol.

I managed to attend 4CC earlier this year, it was the first elite competition for me. Very gorgeous line up and I acted like a crazy fan girl, running about trying to get autographs haha.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
THE SEASON HAS STARTED  ;D

So sad that Jason's first JGP of the year was such a horrid mess (by his standards, anyway). Wonder what went wrong? Lots of the mistakes were uncharacteristic and it seemed that the tech panel in Courchevel was really harsh. Still, I'm sure many skaters would love to make as much a mess of their SP as Jason did and still medal.

JGP Lake Placid starts on Thursday so it's out of the Mr Ponytail camp and into camp Mr Gorgeous Blue Eyes!  :blush: (Josh, lol!)

Crazy little Russian jumping bean in the ladies' in the form of Elena Radionova in Courchevel - wow!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
THE SEASON HAS STARTED  ;D  So sad that Jason's first JGP of the year was such a horrid mess (by his standards, anyway). Wonder what went wrong?

More warped boots!  ::>)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
More warped boots!  ::>)

I hope not!  :o

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
Oooh , Lake Placid - I will have to start paying attention as our local dance team is skating!!!!!  Maddie Heritage and Nathan Fast  :pop:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
I hope not!  :o

I was just kidding. Team Dornbush reported that last season's dismal performances were due to warped boots. Hope Ricky has a better season after fixing the equipment issues!

And Wenjing Sui is reported to have injured... Arrgggghhhhh poor girl.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:51 PM »
I was just kidding. Team Dornbush reported that last season's dismal performances were due to warped boots. Hope Ricky has a better season after fixing the equipment issues!

Yeah, I heard about Dornbush's problems. Apparently there were a few issues with Riedells recently. I think Jason wears Jacksons but Josh wears Riedells so it's Josh I have to worry about  :-\ although Artur wears Jacksons too and his problems at Worlds were boot-related. Bah!

Looking forward to JGP #2 although after Courchevel the number of people predicting a cakewalk for Josh are making me nervous.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
And it was a cakewalk for Josh! JGP men battle is exciting this year. I look forward to see Nathan Chen and Han Yan. Too bad He Zhang withdrew due to injury. (and lol @ how many times it got auto corrected to JPG)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
And it was a cakewalk for Josh! JGP men battle is exciting this year. I look forward to see Nathan Chen and Han Yan. Too bad He Zhang withdrew due to injury. (and lol @ how many times it got auto corrected to JPG)

I think I may have only just recovered from my semi-permanent swoon that started after Josh's short program. As Doug Mattis said on Twitter, it was a very Senior-level skate. The smile on his face after he landed the quad in the LP was just  :love: If he can keep skating like this, there are quite a few Senior US men who should start looking nervously over their shoulders when Nationals comes around...

I'm actually quite enjoying the JGP, this is the first year I've really followed it (thanks to Josh and Jason) and it's quite fun. Got to wait for next week for #3 :(

And of course, huge proud shoutout for Jordan Dodds at Lake Placid who not only skated men's but turned around and did pairs as well!  ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
Michelle Kwan engaged, huge congratulations!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20628947,00.html

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 04:04:00 AM »
Jason Brown went for the 3A in his short program in Turkey!

Two-footed and called as a downgrade (I think that was a bit stiff TBH), but the fact is, he tried it!

I'm sure you can imagine the look on my face, I think it resembled this   ;D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
Go Jason! I hope Rachel Flatt bounces back by Skate America, reports sound devastating...

pic.twitter.com/5XOklPJF
Venue for Opera on Ice in Italy, wow just wow.