You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rough on the skates = ?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Rough on the skates = ?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
I've heard it over and over again: someone is "rough" on the skates and subsequently the skates break down faster than usual. What does it mean in terms of skating skills? Deeper edges, inefficient use of blades, or both possible?

Side note: also heard the pro shop say someone was "rough" on the skates because the screws got loose again in a few months. Would that refer to the same "roughness" mentioned above (more pressure?) or just lack of proper maintenance? lol

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Rough on the skates = ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »
It can be technique.  I've heard this used when a skater slashes up the front of the skates etc due to poor foot position on jumps.  It can also be the skaters who relies heavily on the boot to hold landings instead of landing softly with glide. In terms of the screws... A big and heavy jumper can pull the screws out of the boot due to hard landings.  Guys often get shifted to solid sole plates to address this...

It can also refer to skaters who don't look after their boots!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Well, being one of those skaters who is "harder" on boots than average, I think it has a lot to do with overall skating power and knee bend, deep edges, etc... and nothing to do with jumping.  It's not an issue with fit (my current boots are probably the best fitting skates I've ever had, even compared to when I had customs) as much as just needing a stronger boot than some skaters do.  

Just because a skater isn't doing triple jumps, doesn't mean that they couldn't require a boot stiff enough for them... I would be extremely under-booted if I was in a boot rated for my "level" (which is singles, though I'm working on my axel and some doubles).  I skate in boots rated for triples and quads (Jackson Elite Plus, stiffness rating of 85), neither of which I am doing, or will ever be doing :)  I have no problem with knee bend, even when my current boots were new, which is really the biggest concern with very stiff boots - without the ankle being able to bend sufficiently, the skater does other things to compensate, many of which can lead to injury.  My current boots are two years old and still have a lot of life left in them, but I don't skate as much as some do - my schedule varies a lot, but I rarely get in more than 5-6 hours a week on the ice, some weeks are closer to half that.  

As far as screws coming loose, I've never had an entire blade come loose nor have I had many problems with loose screws (I think I've had two in all the years I've been skating).  I would think that poor blade alignment or uncorrected pronation/supination could contribute some to those problems.. if there is extra force being applied to the blade sideways I can see how that could be repeatedly pulling screws loose.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
I would say that I am "hard" on skates as well.  I do dance and synchro--I do not do jumps.  I like to bend--a lot, push really hard and I like deep edges.  I was filling the rink the other day doing some solo dances.  I was also told by one of our high level coaches (he has coached a recent Olympic Champion) that I have really good blade and edge control.  So I would say I use my blade efficiently.

I do like my skates SUPER tight so I often have issues with hooks breaking or even the holes tearing--so I guess I could be considered "rough" on skates. (in my mind there is a difference between being rough and hard on skates)  :)

I have seen some skates in incredibly rough shape but I would say it's just from improper care.  Screws coming out because blades are not dried correctly and the leather almost rotting and boots chewed up because of kicking oneself or even by a partner.  I've had screw issues but it's usually in older skates.