You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coach or Instructor?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
Coach or Instructor?
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
I read somewhere (and now I can't find where) that there's a difference between a coach and a private instructor. I'm in private lessons, but I'm not sure whether to refer to my teacher as my coach, or my instructor, or what. Does it make a difference? I want to be respectful by calling her by the right title, even if it's just here on the message board, or in conversation with my husband. (I don't know what to call her in person, either, so I usually just smile and say "Hi" and avoid using her name. . . .)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Coach or Instructor?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
If it is private lessons, I'd call that a coach.  Group lessons, I tend to say instructor. (When talking directly to either, I use their first name, as that is what everyone does at our rink, even small children)

I don't think it really makes a difference though.  Some people say group coach.  Not sure I've heard someone say private instructor though.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »
I read somewhere (and now I can't find where) that there's a difference between a coach and a private instructor. I'm in private lessons, but I'm not sure whether to refer to my teacher as my coach, or my instructor, or what. Does it make a difference? I want to be respectful by calling her by the right title, even if it's just here on the message board, or in conversation with my husband. (I don't know what to call her in person, either, so I usually just smile and say "Hi" and avoid using her name. . . .)
If you aren't sure, why don't you ask her "What do you prefer I call you-Ms. (last name) or (first name)?"  I use that and it's helpful. I'm older than most coaches/instructors so I ask first and let them know what they can call me (first name is good). 
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »
Also, there's a certain generation of coaches who call themselves Pros. Example: "My Pro is [name]."

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »
If it is private lessons, I'd call that a coach.  Group lessons, I tend to say instructor.

I rarely say instructor, and if I do, it usually refers to group lesson coach.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
A "pro," or "professional," is someone who earns a living from skating, whether coaching or performing.  Many clubs and rinks will have a "head pro(fessional)" position, which is the same as saying "head coach."  

An instructor teaches skating skills in group or private lessons.  Some people call their private instructor a coach, but it's not necessarily the correct term unless they've providing more than skating instruction.  If you take private lessons and the professional simply reviews/teaches skills, you have a private instructor, not a coach.

A coach addresses so much more: training, rest, nutrition, equipment, music, choreography, testing, competitions, planning, goals, etc.  A coach goes to the test session or competition with the skater to help them prepare mentally and physically whenever possible.  Many coaches charge for those services piecemeal, others include it in their hourly on-ice lesson rate.

Most people don't care about using the correct term, as someone upthread mentioned.  The point was driven home to me by a very public rant.  A skating mom was furious at her son's instructor/coach because he wasn't going to put her son on the ice for his freeskate event at a competition.  She said, quite loudly, "Are you his COACH or his INSTRUCTOR?  He needs a COACH to compete and I can find someone else to fill that role if you just want to teach."  That's the first time I really understood the difference between instructor and coach.

If you don't know what to call someone, ASK.  Some use the dance school honorific of "Miss (firstname)" or "Mr (firstname)", others use "Coach ()" and still others say "Just call me Jane."  (Olympic Coach John Nicks is referred to as "Mr. Nicks" by almost everyone!)  

Titles vary based on the rink, the skating director and the area.  At one rink where I taught, the instructors were all referred to as "Coach ()."  A new Director was brought in and we were called "Miss (female firstname)" and "Coach (male firstname)." Except for the one woman who introduced herself as "Ms (female firstname.)"  Whatever floats your boat - I prefer coach, but I don't object to anything short of first-name only.  That's a cultural thing; little kids never called adults by their first names where I grew up.  You at least added a Salutation like Mrs or Aunt.

I used to have a student whose father always called me "Coach."  As in "Coach, how's my little girl doing?"  "Should we be doing more off-ice, Coach?"  He must have played basketball or football because he was always so formal and it always made me smile because it was so unusual in that area.  (Yes, he knew my name because the DD called me "Miss ().")

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
She said, quite loudly, "Are you his COACH or his INSTRUCTOR?  He needs a COACH to compete and I can find someone else to fill that role if you just want to teach."  That's the first time I really understood the difference between instructor and coach.

Open mouthed here!!!!  There has been one time when our coach had something personal going on and she offered to have another coach put dd on the ice.  I can't imagine getting mad over it.  We were going to opt to skip that comp but something changed and it all worked out.  All of our rink coaches coach.  Some also teach classes but they have private lesson kids.  There are some who are isi only and some that do both usfs and isi.  It is possible to have a coach move you to another coach because you want usfs and they do not want to be involved with it (more time, money etc on their end).  But even high coaches do ISI - it's great for getting programs warmed up for the season.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »
She did show me some off-ice exercises to do, but mostly she just teaches me skills on-ice. I wouldn't know about the rest (music, competitions, programs, etc.) because I haven't progressed that far. I know she teaches public classes, because she was my Adult 1 instructor, but she also gives private lessons, too. I guess for now I'll just refer to her as my instructor.

As far as what to call her in person, that's one of my social anxiety hang-ups. The idea of asking her what to call her is so nerve-wracking that I would rather work around it and simply not call her anything. Perhaps someday I'll find the nerve to ask, but for now, I just can't.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »
My kid's private coaches are the ONLY grownups that they are ever allowed to address by their first name, and that's just because of efficiency, and after quite a bit of long discussion about how much of an exception this is.

Everyone here is a coach, but, they give "instruction" in figure skating.  We do have the differentiation between "professional" coaches (i.e. get paid) and "amateur" (i.e. volunteers who help and don't get paid) coaches. We have "group lesson coaches" and "dance coaches" etc.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
My kid's private coaches are the ONLY grownups that they are ever allowed to address by their first name, and that's just because of efficiency, and after quite a bit of long discussion about how much of an exception this is.

The coach could always be like Mr. Nicks, who I've only ever once heard called by his first name, by a TV announcer.  But the co-commentator, continued to call him Mr. Nicks in the discussion.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Our rink culture is Miss first name or Mr first name or Coach first name. 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
Our rink culture is Miss first name or Mr first name or Coach first name.  
Our rink culture is first names, it's our family rules that forbid that from happening with adults...  ;)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
Our rink culture is first names, it's our family rules that forbid that from happening with adults...  ;)

When teaching snowplow, I always felt so awkward having pre-schoolers call me Jessi (it was mostly an issue when I would say "follow what Courtney does"- I would really want to say "follow what Miss Courtney does".  I come from an area where "Miss Jessi" or Mrs. Last Name is appropriate.  A few parents  would refer to me to their children as Miss Jessi though.

Once they were in Basic skills though (6 and older) it doesn't bother me as much. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
I refer to my coach by her name, the same as I would any other adult.  My kids refer to her as "miss" or "coach" and then her name though, but I didn't direct them to do it that way, I think it has to do with what the kids are used to in regards to addressing adults as well as how the coaches introduce themselves.  However, I've never really thought about it much.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
I refer to my coach by her first name, our relationship is of two collaborating adults.  When I refer to her in conversations with other people, I say "My coach". 
In our rink newsletter the coaches are referred to as "Coach Mary, coach Lisa".  I have not really heard a kid call out to a coach in lesson, so I am not sure what they call them in person. Other adults refer to coaches by their first name when they talk to them or about them.

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »
Also, there's a certain generation of coaches who call themselves Pros. Example: "My Pro is [name]."

I'm from that generation!

www.waltzjump.com
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
I refer to my coach by her first name, our relationship is of two collaborating adults.  When I refer to her in conversations with other people, I say "My coach". 
In our rink newsletter the coaches are referred to as "Coach Mary, coach Lisa".  I have not really heard a kid call out to a coach in lesson, so I am not sure what they call them in person. Other adults refer to coaches by their first name when they talk to them or about them.

"ditto"

www.waltzjump.com
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
It depends on the sport. We say Dance Teacher, Ski Instructor, wrestling coach, hockey coach, etc., regardless of certification, skill or experience.

You could always try "Professor".