You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: After Riedell 133 - skate choice  (Read 8906 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
After Riedell 133 - skate choice
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
My coach told me that I might be looking at replacing my skate, since it has already bent near the flex notch (probably due to practicing crossovers). I currently have heat-molded Riedell 133s. I have no problem with them, no break-in period, really nice to skate on. I skate ISI Basic (somewhere around Gamma-Delta level, in terms of skill, but can do certain elements from FS1). I have had these skates for a year, skating on average at 1x a week for 2 hours.

Coach said that I would need thicker boots, but given my current level, I'm afraid I might be overbooting. I'm more inclined towards the Riedells since I've already tried them, and I might have to order them from abroad since they are priced so high locally. What Riedell model should I go for? Should I even go for another 133, or should I move up the ladder to Riedell 255 or 910? Thanks!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: After Riedell 133 - skate choice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
I think what your coach may be seeing, is that the boot is not just bending at the flex notch, but that a crease may be extending towards the counter in a way that will eventually compromise the stability of the boot - this is how boots "break down".  You've already surpassed the levels recommended for the 133, so I wouldn't necessarily consider another pair of those.

I think with the 910 you would be fine and not overbooted - they are rated for beginning freestyle levels.  With the 255, while they would be fine for your current level, they might not be once progress more and you start jumping, and I would actually worry that you'll end up breaking those down quickly as you progress further... jumping and spinning is much harder on boots than crossovers, as well as the stronger skating skills you develop along the way.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:36 AM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are the 255s the equivalent of the old Gold Medallion boots? Does anybody know? Although my boots show no signs of breaking down, I'll be almost certainly wanting the same again next time, but haven't been able to work out the equivalency since Riedell changed their range.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »
I had asked about this at the time because my kids wore (bronze) Medallions when the line was eliminated.  The Riedell rep said that the 255 TS was a replacement for the entire Medallion line.  There are still a lot of bronze/silver/gold Medallions online for sale, but they're really old - at least 3-4 years.  I still see adult skaters in the Gold Medallions from time to time.  It was a good line of boots.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
I'd agree with the 255 or 910. Myself I have always been in Riedells, and they are just too comfortable for me that I have staunchly refused to try any other manufacturer.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
I think what your coach may be seeing, is that the boot is not just bending at the flex notch, but that a crease may be extending towards the counter in a way that will eventually compromise the stability of the boot - this is how boots "break down".  You've already surpassed the levels recommended for the 133, so I wouldn't necessarily consider another pair of those.

Wow...and it's only been a year! When do you know when you can no longer use a pair of boots? Currently the crease in the flex notch is about an inch thick, starting from the edge of the flex notch. I would like to use the 133s for as long as its lifetime permits, since I would still have to save up for new skates.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
That's a great question! It's more difficult for low-level skaters to "feel" the difference in their skates as they  break down. I'd love to hear what experiences other skaters have had.

In my own case, my beginning freestyle boots (Reidells 320s) began to feel looser no matter how tightly I laced up. I could feel my foot shifting around and it became a bit more difficult to control back edges, especially on my landing foot. The skates just didn't feel like they supported me anymore when I landed jumps. My coach could actually see my foot bauble in my boot. I got a (very friendly) scolding and just ordered new skates and blades this week.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
The type of crease you're describing sounds like a "too wide" boot crease, not just a 'broken down" boot crease.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
The type of crease you're describing sounds like a "too wide" boot crease, not just a 'broken down" boot crease.

I think pictures would help, but I've had the kind of crease she's describing in well-fitting boots, and for me it was simply a breakdown issue (though it happened in less than a year).

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
I had asked about this at the time because my kids wore (bronze) Medallions when the line was eliminated.  The Riedell rep said that the 255 TS was a replacement for the entire Medallion line.  There are still a lot of bronze/silver/gold Medallions online for sale, but they're really old - at least 3-4 years.  I still see adult skaters in the Gold Medallions from time to time.  It was a good line of boots.
Thank you! That's good to know. My Gold Medallions were such a relief, comfort-wise, after my previous boots that I really want to stick with them or something similar (assuming I don't suddenly need something stiffer - which is unlikely).

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
Drskater - what skates did you order to replace your Riedell 320s (Bronze Stars)?  I will need to replace my Bronze Stars in the next 12 months and local fitter told me I could go with Riedell LS910s or 435TSs - but all he did was look at a Riedell chart, not ask what elements I work on, etc.  The 435s are supposed to be equivalent to Silver Stars.  I've had my Bronze Stars for 6 years and they've just started to crease a bit in the ankle after 5 years.  So I am worried that 435s will be too stiff for me.  I'm 5'2" and a little over 100 pounds (thin, small-boned adult).  I don't expect to ever do any jumps higher than singles and axel is not on wish list.  I use the MK Professional blade and probably won't change.  I tried on some Riedell LS1310s that another skater has and they are SO lightweight - I loved them, but they are probably even more stiff than 435s.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the 910s and I seem to have a good Riedell foot so I'd like to stay in Riedells.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
I wear Riedells too... I was told that 910LS & 255 are similar to each other stiffness wise (with LS boots ever so slighly less stiff than their equivalent traditional series boot.)

1310LS & 435 similar stiffness to each other too.

How come you are not keen on the 910LS? I loved mine!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Hi Taka, I didn't like the color of fabric lining that shows on the exterior of the 910s and I didn't like the pre-punched out section on the ankle.  I've not had to have my boots punched out so I wondered how that would fit.  I haven't actually tried on a pair but another adult skater has them so I've seen hers.  She seems to like them - thanks for feedback about the stiffness; I appreciate that!

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
Drskater - what skates did you order to replace your Riedell 320s (Bronze Stars)?  I will need to replace my Bronze Stars in the next 12 months and local fitter told me I could go with Riedell LS910s or 435TSs - but all he did was look at a Riedell chart, not ask what elements I work on, etc.  The 435s are supposed to be equivalent to Silver Stars.  I've had my Bronze Stars for 6 years and they've just started to crease a bit in the ankle after 5 years.  So I am worried that 435s will be too stiff for me.  I'm 5'2" and a little over 100 pounds (thin, small-boned adult).  I don't expect to ever do any jumps higher than singles and axel is not on wish list.  I use the MK Professional blade and probably won't change.  I tried on some Riedell LS1310s that another skater has and they are SO lightweight - I loved them, but they are probably even more stiff than 435s.  I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the 910s and I seem to have a good Riedell foot so I'd like to stay in Riedells.

Hi Live2sk8!!

I'm so sorry, I really have no expertise to answer your question. My foot changed quite a bit since I bought the Bronze Stars and, even though I wanted to, I couldn't get a good fit with Riedells. I went with Jacksons (a big step up for me, 2000s plus) instead, since the person who sold them to me is a Jacksons dealer and I figured he'd be better able to tend to me after I started to skate on them. However, I would suggest that if you'd like new Riedells, that you work with a knowledgable Reidell dealer. He/she would be better suited to help you find the right boot for your needs.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Sorry for the late reply! Anyway, I did take some pictures of my boots a few months back. They still look the same.

Here's the link:

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/skatinganalysis/

I would appreciate your opinions on how much life this skate still has. Thank you!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
Sorry for the late reply! Anyway, I did take some pictures of my boots a few months back. They still look the same.

Here's the link:

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/skatinganalysis/

I would appreciate your opinions on how much life this skate still has. Thank you!

Me, that looks like a "too wide" crease rather than a broken in crease; the boots have "folded in" on themselves.  Riedell does split widths once you get past the entry levels like the 133s, no charge unless you're going extreme. You should look into getting a narrower heel next time (or having them fit by someone who does a lot of Riedell boots ...)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Hi Taka, I didn't like the color of fabric lining that shows on the exterior of the 910s and I didn't like the pre-punched out section on the ankle.  I've not had to have my boots punched out so I wondered how that would fit.  I haven't actually tried on a pair but another adult skater has them so I've seen hers.  She seems to like them - thanks for feedback about the stiffness; I appreciate that!
My 910LSs had pale grey padded bits but my current boots (2010LS) have suntan coloured padded parts. I have had so many ankle / foot problems before I started skating again that padded was a good idea and riedells were the only thing I found to fit my foot shape anyway! :)

The punched out ankles meant no pain there for me on breaking in. ;D They are heat moldable so getting them to fit your ankle and not just the preformed ankle shape shouldn't be a problem.

I hope you can work out which ones you need! Good luck!  :)

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »
FWIW, I have seen a few cases of boots like yours, in the model 133.  These cases have been with skaters who opted "one-size-up" for growth (and the growth wasn't fast enough).  I generally do not encourage buying larger skates, though some of my skaters do so for practical reasons.

I have a few adult skaters (my own students) whom I fitted and insisted that they get *exact* sizes, and they are still doing well with the 133s.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, Riedell also makes split width.  The stock boots are already narrower in the heel, but if you need it, you can request an even narrower heel.

I realise that skaters purchasing their first pair of skates don't always know how snug the skates really should feel. If you put your feet into a brand new pair of skates and they feel "ooh as comfy as your sneakers" then there is a 99% likelihood that they are too large for you!

I have spent my entire skating career in Riedells, and have never had any trouble... and only recently did I realise that I am wearing a half size *smaller* than what I measure (go figure).

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
FWIW, I have seen a few cases of boots like yours, in the model 133.  These cases have been with skaters who opted "one-size-up" for growth (and the growth wasn't fast enough).  I generally do not encourage buying larger skates, though some of my skaters do so for practical reasons.

I have a few adult skaters (my own students) whom I fitted and insisted that they get *exact* sizes, and they are still doing well with the 133s.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, Riedell also makes split width.  The stock boots are already narrower in the heel, but if you need it, you can request an even narrower heel.

I realise that skaters purchasing their first pair of skates don't always know how snug the skates really should feel. If you put your feet into a brand new pair of skates and they feel "ooh as comfy as your sneakers" then there is a 99% likelihood that they are too large for you!

I have spent my entire skating career in Riedells, and have never had any trouble... and only recently did I realise that I am wearing a half size *smaller* than what I measure (go figure).

Hmm...when I got my 133, the fitter told me that my feet were a snug 4.5 M. Before the heat molding, I found the boot small for my feet, and my toenails were literally scraping the edge of the boot. With the heat molding, my feet still fit snugly on the boots (it doesn't move around), but it no longer hurt as pre-heat molding. Is it the heat molding then, or did the boot naturally expand with use?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
Hmm...when I got my 133, the fitter told me that my feet were a snug 4.5 M. Before the heat molding, I found the boot small for my feet, and my toenails were literally scraping the edge of the boot. With the heat molding, my feet still fit snugly on the boots (it doesn't move around), but it no longer hurt as pre-heat molding. Is it the heat molding then, or did the boot naturally expand with use?

Riedell is different, which is where some people run into problems, in terms of how they should "fit".  IF they are comfortable when you get them, that is wrong - as they do stretch/internally mould to your feet within a week or two.  They should fit very snugly in order to allow the interior "lining" to fit snugly and appropriately around your feet. If they are "comfy" within a couple of weeks, when the stuff inside sort of "melts" around your toes, you'll be slopping around in a pair of bedroom slippers :)

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 9
  • Cosplay
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
I currently have 133 and I remember that they(the rink pro shop) tried to put me in a 4.5(i wear 7 in shoes). My poor toes! My foot wouldn't even go in! They tried 5 and my toes went numb within a minute of wearing them. They tried 6 but my toes were still squished and they started going numb. 6.5 worked perfectly. ALthough I do want to try a 6 when it's time for new skates since I noticed these get loose quicker now. I'm having to retie them multiple times. I'll be going to Freestyle 1 in the spring and was thinking about getting the 255 probably by the end of the year. (I think I'll pass Freestyle 1 fairly easily...I hope.)