You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 'Dramatic' moments in figure skating  (Read 3428 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
'Dramatic' moments in figure skating
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Coach tells me '3 turn to landing position'.
I've had issues with coming out of the 3 turn and going to my inside edge on the landing position. I don't know why this is important to him, but it comes up every.single.week.

So I do the 3 turn, hit the outside edge, go to the landing position, and arc a quarter of the way down the rink JUST AS triumphal music plays on the speakers overhead.

My life now has a soundtrack.

What are your dramatic skating moments?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: 'Dramatic' moments in figure skating
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »

My life now has a soundtrack.

I LOVE when things like that happen. :)

Dramatic.... hmm, I had a coach come running up and yelling that I couldn't use the music I was using because her student was using it. I was using it for a show that wasn't at our rink and practicing. Her reaction was pretty dramatic, I looked at her and said "So and so, this is for the show at x arena.... not here."  :angel

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
My first competition, my music didn't start, saw coach sprinting up the side of the rink with my spare cd, then dash for the coaches room for her ipod when the spare didn't work either. The judges called me over, and some of the kids ran round to offer to sing my music for me, which was very sweet! When it finally worked and I had skated, coach said she missed half my program cause she had her shaking hands protectively around her ipod. Also, turns out there was a pair of headphones on the ice during my whole program! fortunately, I didn't even notice, although someone had skated over them cause they were sliced!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:40:08 AM »
Skating my Free Skate 3 test, everything going fine and dandy...just the edge patterns, the spirals and the evil backspin to go.

"This is now the end of the session." (Our Aussie Skate tests are held on the freestyle session, and they had a particularly long list that day)

Two minutes later....

Lights are turned off!!!!!!

I ended up doing the patterns, spirals and backspin in the half light close to the edge of the rink. My coach had had to leave before my test, and when I told her, she was horrified - but pleased they didn't make me come back next time (February!!!!!!).

(I passed.  ;))
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
I love this thread! Great stories.

At my first competition: I was nervous and tried to calm down by doing off-ice warm-ups. The lobby was bustling with skaters, coaches, parents, vendors. I had put on my skates and decided to do a few stretches. I found a stair bannister and put my leg on it--and immediately caught my foot in the bars. Struggling to free myself I further tangled myself in a couple of decorative balloons. I couldn't help it, I let loose an instinctual, plaintive F-Bomb. Silence. Fortunately, once the crowd realized that the culprit was the middle-aged woman wrapped in a couple of balloons, hanging from the stair railing, everything returned to normal.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »

At my first competition: I was nervous and tried to calm down by doing off-ice warm-ups. The lobby was bustling with skaters, coaches, parents, vendors. I had put on my skates and decided to do a few stretches. I found a stair bannister and put my leg on it--and immediately caught my foot in the bars. Struggling to free myself I further tangled myself in a couple of decorative balloons. I couldn't help it, I let loose an instinctual, plaintive F-Bomb. Silence. Fortunately, once the crowd realized that the culprit was the middle-aged woman wrapped in a couple of balloons, hanging from the stair railing, everything returned to normal.

:D OMG. That is hysterical!  :laugh3
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »

I don't know what you win, but you win!!  Great story!

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »

I'm sorry I laughed hysterically at this..you get a +GOE for that!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
I was in the office after hours, impatiently waiting for a program to finish running. Decided to stretch by bending back, and recalled attitude spin exercise the other day when group coach asked me to slightly bend knee and push hips forward. Well before I realize what's going on I collapsed and somehow slammed into metal closets behind me, making a big noise. My boss and another colleague were all nervous as of what happened. That. was. so. stupid... Fortunately did not hurt anything.