You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Majestics? Blades help please :)  (Read 5614 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Majestics? Blades help please :)
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
Dear All,

I posted in the old forum about ankle pains likely because skates broke down, and visiting the pro shop today was fairly interesting. Turns out I am not size 6, but size 5! No wonder landing foot wiggled wildly when boots got beat up :P They had used Jackson Competitor boots in my newly discovered size and it fits snugly. (thank you everyone for tips on boots!!)

Now blades... Based on recommendations I was determined to get Coronation Ace
and did absolutely no homework on other options. SHAME ON ME! Pro shop did not have used Aces in stock and gave me Majestics instead. They were terribly busy today hence not too much info besides that it's a much smaller radius than my previous Ultima Mark IV (6.5' vs 8') and "nimble".

I went thru archive posts that had "blade" in the subject (million thanks to renatele and Jim, it's an awesome knowledge base). Seems like on the bright side, smaller radius may help me find the non-existant sweet spot spinning while spinning; I am however concerned with secured jump landings (major problem here with fragile landing ankle) and difficulty to move back to larger rocker later on.

So what is your opinion on Majestics? I wish to get 2 to 3 years out of these skates, working on loops, flips, and dare I say up to axels and camel spins? (ISI FS4-5). Since the blades are used I can return them in 7 days if necessary. Will skate as much as possible next week but would also like to hear your precious opinions!!

Thank you so much in advance with 93.5 degree DEEP BOWS :)
Jane

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Majestics? Blades help please :)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
For some reason the Majestic has never been a popular blade, at least not in any area where I have lived.

BUT I had a pair of dance blades that were Majestics with the backs cut off (per the Wilson rep) and I LOVED them. I mostly did dance on them of course but I could freestyle as well and had no problem with spins or jump landings at all. 

I think the whole thing with radius and rocker-shape is kind of over-rated. I have seen postings by people who are skate-fitters who have measured the radius of many blades and have found discrepancies between the same types of blades =- they all had different radius measurements despite what the manufacturers claim in their advertising.  I also thing that a good blade-person can change the radius if you really want it changed.

Anyone else out there ever use a Majestic?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
Seriously, I went thru many archived posts on blades and there were maybe 2 or 3 mentions of majestics at most. Seems like people strongly prefer Coronation Ace, Comet, or MK Pro for an upgrade from beginner boot/blade combo set.

I hope to eliminate excuses down the road that "oh I can't do XYZ because I did not get the right blades". By the way boot fitter said old blades had bad sharpenings in the rocker area, see now I have a scapegoat for failed spins already, lol

Thank you again!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
I don't know anyone who uses/used Majestics, sorry.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
It's been quite a while (ca. 2000), but I believe my first pair of Riedell Bronze Star boots came equipped with Majestics. I got them when I began taking lessons.

I do recall buying Coronation Aces the following year because I heard they were a better blade (cost more), but IIRC, the only change I noticed was the size of the toe picks. The feel was very similar.

Really, I thought that the Majestics were a fine blade. They certainly didn't cause any problems for me, and it made me wonder about the wisdom of spending so much more for the Aces at the time.
Bill Schneider

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
It's been quite a while (ca. 2000), but I believe my first pair of Riedell Bronze Star boots came equipped with Majestics. I got them when I began taking lessons.

I do recall buying Coronation Aces the following year because I heard they were a better blade (cost more), but IIRC, the only change I noticed was the size of the toe picks. The feel was very similar.

Really, I thought that the Majestics were a fine blade. They certainly didn't cause any problems for me, and it made me wonder about the wisdom of spending so much more for the Aces at the time.

I think they are pretty similar and they are not as expensive.

I think everyone has fallen into the trap of "Oh, if only I had a better blade I wouldn't have trouble with ___________________.  On the other hand there are always the ones who say they couldn't spin, do edges., etc until they got such-and-such blade.  And I believe them. 

But it's such a personal thing.  I would say that if after a week you feel comfortable in the Majestics and you can do what you want to do in them, you should just keep them.  And then next time you might want to try the Aces, or just get the Majestic again.

One thing that I can say for the Majestic (on the negative side) is that they have a very small edge for sharpening.  So your blades may not live as long because every time they are sharpened there will be a little more taken off that edge (whatever it is called, LOL) - but that being said I think I had my Majestics (aka Wilson Dance - Majestics With The Backs Cut Off) for at least 7 or 8 years before I needed to get new blades because there was nothing left to sharpen. 

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
I have majestics, but they're the ones I've had for 8 years. So I really can't give much comment on them since I have nothing to compare them to. I know they're supposed to get you up through doubles. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the sweet spot on them because I don't think they were sharpened correctly for a number of years and they weren't mounted correctly either which led to the incorrect sharpening. I think my rocker is fairly nonexistent to be honest.

I'm looking into a pair of paramount blades (in pink) when I get new skates in the near future (my feet have shrunk in the last 8 years and don't hold my feet as well).

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
I have Majestics and they've been very, very good to me! I believe they are good blades for beginning freestylers. The toe picks aren't as large as some other blades, but that shouldn't be an issue until you do toe jumps with a lot of speed and/or doubles. Enjoy!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
Skating in Competitor/Majestics today the first time, I actually still had all my elements, just slightly deteriorated more or less. Edge control was somewhat difficult, but I can't identify what exactly was off.

On the other hand, I found a pair of Coronation Aces and will check them with the pro shop. Hope all turns out OK.

Thank you very much everyone for your thoughtful inputs!!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »
Turns out the initial mounting with Majestics wasn't perfect.

Anyways, I am back on ice with Coronation Ace and improved edge pulls!

Thank you everyone~!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
Turns out the initial mounting with Majestics wasn't perfect.

Anyways, I am back on ice with Coronation Ace and improved edge pulls!

Thank you everyone~!

Great!  Glad you found the Aces.  Both of my DD's and I used Majestics for a while, and they were fine, but I wouldn't recommend them for Axels, as that 6.5' rocker is not very secure for landing anything beyond singles.
My glass is half full :)