You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Freestyle  (Read 7414 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Jackson Freestyle
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Where can I buy Jackson Freestyle online that have the boot and blade separate?
Also - will the Freestyle fit differently than the Artiste? We don't have a fitter in our area and I need to get new skates. I was just going to use the size of my Artistes to buy the Freestyles.

Thanks

EDIT:

Does this seem like a good place to buy from? Is the Mirage a good blade? Thanks

http://www.skaterslanding.com/jackson-freestyle-boot-only.html

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Jackson Freestyle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:26 AM »
Freestyle only come as a set, I'd be wary buying it boot only as it might be old stock and could be worn down from age/heat in storage. I have never seen Freestyle on it's own at any of the online shops I've visited- that link is a first. You used to be able to buy the competitor without the blade most everywhere, but now even that only comes as a set.  

Mirage is a decent blade- I've seen kids in them through axel.  I changed out of it after about a year, and felt my turns improved- maybe it is a little "sluggish" (lower quality level, but it is an intro-freestyle blade, not a rec one. It doesn't have a killer toepick, but a decent one.)  I would not buy it though if it didn't come on the skate.  If you are buying your boots and blades separately you want a little better than that.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:59:50 AM »
Freestyle comes as boot and as boot and blade; below is  the link to Jackson's own site.

Freestyles fit differently than Artistes; they are a different boot, plus, they are heatmolded.  It all depends on how picky you are in terms of fitting skates ... we make the trip to a fitter because the travel time is offset by the benefit of making sure that the boots fit right and that the adjustments we need are done (plus, covered under warranty in case there are any problems.

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=VHx9hVXQUHJZNhxMEFnF9w1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

In terms of an online store that sells boot only, the Skating Boutique in Canada does, and they are excellent, and a very large and reputable organization; just don't know if that level of international shopping works for you.

http://www.skatingboutique.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_20

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »
Freestyle comes as boot and as boot and blade; below is  the link to Jackson's own site.

Oh interesting- thanks for correcting me.  I guess it is just Competitor now that only comes as a set?  Weird since it is a higher level boot than the Freestyle...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
I buy my girls' Freestyles as boot-only and have their Coronation Aces mounted by the local fitter.  It costs more.
A few times, I bought the Freestyle set on sale and had the blades replaced because it was less than buying just the boot.

I was surprised to find out that the new Competitors are boot-and-blade set only!  It is a higher-level boot and the blade is better than the Freestyle's optional Mark IV.  Maybe they're going to do something stupid, like phase out the Freestyles. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
I was surprised to find out that the new Competitors are boot-and-blade set only!  It is a higher-level boot and the blade is better than the Freestyle's optional Mark IV.  Maybe they're going to do something stupid, like phase out the Freestyles.  

They did change the blades, so they aren't using the Mark IV anymore. The Freestyle, if you buy it as a set now comes with the Mirage the Competitor used to have, and the Competitor comes with a new blade called the Aspire.

Still seems strange, because when your girls outgrow the strength of the Freestyle and need to move up, you'll either have to throw away blades buying the competitor (because the coronation ace is likely better than the Aspire- although I know nothing about it) or you'll have to skip all the way up to Premier.\

I can't imagine them phasing out the freestyle. It seems like the boot EVERY skater starts in.  Maybe the competitor didn't sell well enough- kids went from Freestyle to upper level boots?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
Still seems strange, because when your girls outgrow the strength of the Freestyle and need to move up, you'll either have to throw away blades buying the competitor (because the coronation ace is likely better than the Aspire- although I know nothing about it) or you'll have to skip all the way up to Premier.

I think that was jackson's intent.... on one of their youtube vids they mention that the premier replaces the boot only competitor which they no longer offer (some retailers may still have stock though).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
When I buy new blades for them, I size them end-to-end, so I can usually have the blades moved to the new boots.

Before I sell the outgrown skates, I put the lower-level blade back on them and sell them as a set.  It's worked out the last few times because the replacement skates were boot-only, so I didn't get stuck with double blades more than once.

The only blades I haven't been able to find a new home for is a pair of MK Double Stars.  They're in great condition, but no one's interested in them.  Most people with beginning freestylists buy the set or go right into Coronation Ace/MK Pros.  Tried eBay and no bids.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
Freestyle only come as a set, I'd be wary buying it boot only as it might be old stock and could be worn down from age/heat in storage.

I bought my Freestyle boots separately from Rainbo.  For some reason they had removed the blades (I guess someone had tried the boot and didn't like it?).  I got a good price.  But presumably this is not reproducible. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
Never hurts to ask - I bought a pair of brand-new, never mounted, Coronation Aces for $70 once because Wilson sent the shop the wrong size for another customer.  The shop made the mistake of sharpening them before checking the size on the blade itself. 

Which is a lesson for everyone: when you order something, check the ITEM for the size before having blades mounted or sharpened.
I've seen cases where a boot was in the wrong box, the blades were marked wrong, and the fitter just didn't notice that a "C" width was ordered, but a "B" width was received.  When you order, write down the size/length/width and bring the paper with you for pickup.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
My biggest fear about buying a boot that already has a factory mounted blade is that I'm going to have the same problem I had with my Artistes, where the blade is half a centimeter too far towards the inside. I wish I could drive 200 miles to get fitted, but with school starting and my mom working, it just will not happen. I really want to buy new skates - because I'm wasting my time and money in a skate that is more debilitating than ever.
So, when you but the Jackson Freestyle with the Mirage blade, does it come attached or unattached? I really want them to be unattached and I want to get them mounted here....but I also don't want to step into a boot that is going to be too stiff for me.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
When I bought my first boots from Jackson, that came with a blade- they came attached.  I would assume they factory ship them this way, because when I bought my boots that didn't come with blades, there was not room in the box to lay the boots once the blades were on them.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
When you buy a boot-and-blade combination, it comes with the blade already attached.  The Freestyle just uses the slotted screw holes in the blade sole plate, so adjustments can be made very easily.  When it's set just right, THEN the permanent screws go into the round holes.  The Artistes come with screws in every single blade plate hole, which makes adjustments difficult.  While some pro shops will move/remount a blade on a PVC sole, I know several that will not do it.  That's one reason why leather heels and soles are preferred by many people.

When I bought my first boots from Jackson, that came with a blade- they came attached.  I would assume they factory ship them this way, because when I bought my boots that didn't come with blades, there was not room in the box to lay the boots once the blades were on them.
They use different box sizes for the different Jackson boots-only/skate sets.  That's probably why they have different model numbers.
I wonder if the model number changed when they switched from Mark IV blades to the Mirage?

FWIW, the same thing happens when you buy Klingbeils.  The box is sized to fit just the boots, not boots-and-blades.

Offline learning_as_i_go

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
FYI - I've just been in the skate shop buying the freestyle for my kiddies - the fitter told me last year's model came with the blade attached but not this year's.  He had one pair in the store (no blade or holes from a blade) and had to order in a specific size from Jackson for my other kid - again no blade attached.  Not much else changed apart from the sole being layered leather/cork rather than just leather like the year before.  So if it is coming with the blade attached it is likely an old model - no blade new model  :) hth!