You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Memorizing dances / step sequences  (Read 1893 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Memorizing dances / step sequences
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Random question: do you remember dances you tested or step sequence you competed with years ago?

I can't remember anything more than 5 steps and not practiced in the past 3 months. On my way to official ISI tests, and the dance step sequences are very frustrating because I've forgot them all! (learning one is not a problem, I start mixing them very fast though)

And how I envy those who remember how their favorite skater's programs evolve over the competitive season years or decades ago!! :P

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Memorizing dances / step sequences
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
Sometimes. I am very good at memorizing programs and recalling them later. The last time I did a freestyle program in a competition was 2008 and I had two different step sequences that year. I can still remember parts of both of them but I am pretty sure I am mixing them together! I also can do all the MIF patterns from Pre-Pre up through Novice (old patterns....I switched to new at Junior). Dance is a little harder for me, I hadn't been doing that as long and then I took a three year break from it but it did come back once I was showed the patterns again.

What helps me is visualizing myself skating everything. I'm working on the Junior MIF straightline footwork and after I practice, I'll visualize myself doing it and say to myself "rocker rocker, counter, twizzle, chasse, counter, etc....."

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
I remember everything. I remember the group lesson LTS Christmas Show back from 2009.  88) Stroke forward, bunny hop, cross in front of other girls, stop on hockey dot, waltz jump, spin, spiral to the ends of the rink, two jumps, line up, stroke to the center, do a pinwheel.
I remember both competition programs and just about every other show/test/compulsory program or pattern I've ever done.

Though, I wish old programs would just drop out of my head and make room for something I actually need, like algebra.

I tend to remember things in sequences rather than as a whole. Would it help you to break things into 5 steps each and remember them that way?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
Random question: do you remember dances you tested or step sequence you competed with years ago?

And how I envy those who remember how their favorite skater's programs evolve over the competitive season years or decades ago!! :P

I remember several programs in their entirety that I've skated.  It also helps that I am an adult and tend to keep programs for 2 seasons, so they really get ingrained.  Funny thing is, I only remember the programs that really "broke in nicely" versus ones I struggled with through their entirety.  :)

I also remember favorite skaters' program evolutions, words to songs I've heard a few times that I like (even several years later can sing along even if I haven't heard it), and recognize "repeated" agility course groupings.  :) 

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:06 AM »
I remember nothing.  :)  I forget dance patterns between one step and the next.  I "lose" steps out of the sequence I've done for years.  Learning new programs is torture for me because even if I think I have the steps memorized, when I go do do them, blank spots suddenly appear and - poof! - it's gone!  It happens so often that I've learned to just keep moving - do anything - until I get to a place that I do remember. 

For me, choreography is "fluid" not fixed.  I generally have certain elements set on certain places in the music, but where they happen in the rink and what happens between them changes often.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
I tend to remember things in sequences rather than as a whole. Would it help you to break things into 5 steps each and remember them that way?

And count 1-2-3-4-5 along the way!... Seriously, I started counting aloud for the ISI dance step sequences and it's like ... 5, 6, step behind, 8, 9... LOL

Thank you everyone for sharing!

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »
I remember all of the dance patterns (started testing in 1995), but not all of my footwork sequences or programs - just bits and pieces of them, here and there. There are even whole programs I'd completely forgotten doing until I came across an old box of program music...

I always learned dance patterns by "singing" the steps. So Dutch Waltz would be Proooooo-gress-ive (step on each syllable), Swiiing Rooolll (leg back on swing, forward on roll), etc., or counting out the quick or tricky timing bits. And by drawing the patterns & steps on paper whenever I was stuck on hold (which was pretty frequently while at work).

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
I always learned dance patterns by "singing" the steps. So Dutch Waltz would be Proooooo-gress-ive (step on each syllable), Swiiing Rooolll (leg back on swing, forward on roll), etc., or counting out the quick or tricky timing bits. And by drawing the patterns & steps on paper whenever I was stuck on hold (which was pretty frequently while at work).

This, this and this!  :) 

I think everyone remembers things differently, it's finding the trick that works for you.  I skate on a synchro team and I've really learned this.  I tend to see a program/dance as a whole and therefore I can do it the opposite way, the right way, etc.  But then again I've been skating pretty much my whole life.  But I know a pretty accomplished guy skater who has to count out every step.  He has to know that the swing roll, mohawk are on beats 5,6,7,8.  Others seem to never learn steps.   I've even had to say every step as I partnered somes kids in dances.  Don't get frustrated you'll get it.