You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do Edeas boots really have perfect heat shapeability?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Do Edeas boots really have perfect heat shapeability?
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
http://www.skatesus.com/extras/WhyAreEDEASkatesSoSpecial.html basically seems to be claiming that Edea boots, being made of carbon fiber (presumably plus a resin/adhesive), can be molded to fully conform to your foot.

Leather heat moldable boots don't fit very well unless the boot is already a pretty close match. E.g., AFAIK footbeds can't change width, length or shape, and the leather uppers can only stretch a little, and probably can't compress to any significant extant.

If I understand right, skatesus.com claims greater degree of customization on Edea skates - perhaps that the carbon fibers and adhesives themselves stretch or contract until the boot fits perfectly?

Edea's own website http://www.edeaskates.com contains very little information about their boots.

Frankly, it sounds too good to be true.

Does anyone know anything about this, and know how well it works?

Thanks.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Do Edeas boots really have perfect heat shapeability?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
That's what I've heard. I thought they looked cool and I asked the fitter about them when I was getting new skates. He said that they mold to your foot and they only come in one width bc they mold to a perfect fit. My foot was too wide to begin with so I never tried them on. I was disapointed since they look so cool haha.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
I can't add much except to say that I tried them on at the last PSA conference I attended, 3 yrs ago in Chicago.  I really liked them, and probably would have bought a pair except that I needed a 1/4 size smaller blade than on my current boots.  I was looking for another pair, not a replacement, and I didn't want to deal with two sizes of blades.  I'm going to Conference again in May, and I may just switch this time.  They were super comfy even with the heat molding, and I felt they were very snug.
My glass is half full :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
I know that when we hosted Nationals in Portland in 2005 the Edea people were there in their booth with all of the sizes and people were going wild trying them on.  As I remember they were all stock boots and they were really inexpensive (like $300) and a bunch of people bought them on the spot.

A few of the skaters (mostly coaches) are still wearing them and the only complaint that I have heard is that you can feel the blade through your foot but this was remedied by putting an extra piece of felt or maybe a Dr. Scholls pad in the bottom of the skate.  Otherwise although they look a little odd I think the skaters really like the boots.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:47:23 AM »
The "Ice Fly" looks cool, I want one like that - though I never will do doubles, let alone triples/quadruples  :o
Their lower level boots look a little sort of 'cheap' looking for my tastes.

Perhaps they are rather like ski boots which can be moulded to your foot from the outside, using air pressure as well as heat? 

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the lower level edea's look cheap.   

A girl at my rink (she's an olympic hopeful and if she could get her triples consistent I think she stands a pretty good chance) has the ice fly ones and they look super cute, but her rhinestones are coming off. She's planning on putting new rhinestones on.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:54 PM »
:(

It finally ocurred to me to call Skates US.

Their tech says the footbed can not be changed in size or shape. It doesn't even mold vertically to fit the foot.

Sigh.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:36 AM »
Rats !!!
if it sounds too good to be true ....