You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade mounting concerns  (Read 3181 times)

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
Re: Blade mounting concerns
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 05:34:05 PM »
e) [BONUS] Coaches would be smart to look at their students' skates if they see any sudden changes in technique, particularly right after a sharpening or getting new skates.  And the entire skating world would benefit if coaches would explain to their skaters that new skates need to be assessed and sharpened...when a skater gets new skates and asks if they need to be sharpened, the answer should always be "take them to your skate tech for assessment".  I recently rejected two low-level pairs of brand new boots in a row that one skater brought me for sharpening and assessment, and she is very happy now that she has an appropriate pair of boots to wear.  Sometimes blades have defects and need to be rejected, too.  Equipment that is not set up right --or equipment that has fundamental flaws that can't be fixed-- generally leads to a lot of frustration and wasted lesson time.  Lesson time is $ expensive and frustration is very mentally costly.  My guess is there are a lot of people who give up skating or never liked it when they tried it due to bad equipment. 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Blade mounting concerns
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2022, 11:05:52 AM »
I think we don't have enough information to unambiguously answer Kaitsu's questions.

My blades are about the length he shows - but my feet are small for an adult. I have certainly at times deliberately had my blades mounted much more offset (side-to-side and to some extent front-to-back - I never really needed special directional alignment) than these are - and that was in some ways an improvement over symmetric mounting, though in the end I decided it worked better for me personally to reshape the interior of the boots than to offset the mounting positions.

Perhaps Edea is only using the dotted lines to show where to mount the blades if the skater has no special asymmetric issues, rather than being meant as a universal mounting template. Given the range of foot shapes and other anatomical differences, there is no way for there to be one best way to mount blades.

Coaches often don't have time to examine their students' boots and blades between on-ice lessons. E.g., they often schedule one student after another within the same skating session, and time is money. But if a coach is good at looking at boots and blades, it might occasionally be worth it to pay the coach to look them over before or after a skating session. Plus a lot can be told about the boots and blades by a good coach by watching the student skate and interacting with them. I guess any good coach needs to budget their lesson time between technique and equipment issues.

I am curious Supersharp - if a skater's blades show evidence of frequently repeated landings of one blade on top of the other, what do you conclude, or are you just talking about the need to deal with the nicks, which I would hope any reasonably good skate tech can do?