You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Five Below is selling balance board/spinner with stretch cords  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Five Below is selling balance board/spinner with stretch cords
« on: February 01, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
I just bought this device. It comes in a box labelled

Series 8 Fitness
  Fitness Twister

On Five Below's website it is

https://www.fivebelow.com/series-8-fitness-trade-fitness-twister.html

BTW, Five Below seldom keeps things in stock long - so buy it if you want it.

Essentially, it is a turntable on which you stand, that has Bungi cords, that you can hold to help maintain your balance and position. The box picture shoes someone practicing on both feet, but you can also practice balanced on one foot.

I like the one I bought, and think it is a good practice device. I haven't tried any other samples, so don't know if they are all good.

It is much easier to balance on than high end skate spinners. (I've previously tried many such types, without much success. :( ) It won't mar your floor, because it doesn't slide against it. Of course, if you are already good at spinning, unlike me, one of the high end spinners that is harder to balance might be better.

If the store allows it, I suggest you take it out of the box and try it, because, in the past, I have found that devices with turntable bearings (including high end skate spinners) often turn unevenly. When I'm not on it, it turns with a fair amount of friction, but with me on it, it turns quite smoothly and easily. I think the cords should be a bit longer, so adults could raise their arms higher without using as much muscle. (The video I link to below pointed out you can change the length a little by retying it. But her technique left the cord a bit lax, so she complained that the cord moved around on the holders. I didn't retie it, and didn't have that problem.) I suppose I could connect some cheap rope to make that possible, but haven't.

It is meant to be used bumpy side up. If you turn it upside down, you can let go of the cords and practice spinning without them too.

For those of you who want to practice spins off ice, and think it might help to hold onto Bungi cords, this has the advantage of being cheap. Do bear in mind that spins on and off ice are a bit different. You could imitate the effect of spinning off center from the axis, as you do on ice, by standing with your foot a little off center. You may also want to play a bit with forwards/back position.

You can sort of simulate the skating scissors action between the two feet that skaters use to start scratch spins, by wearing a slippery nylon sock and placing it on a smooth slick floor, but it doesn't feel the same.

And your skates probably feel and balance a bit differently than the shoes or bare feet you will use on this device. (I didn't try balancing on this device in my skates, wearing blade guards - I have more than enough trouble with balance in spins as it is.)

Also remember that if you are near anything hard and sharp, like a counter, you could injure yourself. Also, that falling is very possible. So, while you want to use this on a hard floor, you might want to be near soft surfaces on which to fall, like thick blankets, especially at first, and especially if you aren't good at falling gently.

In line with that, I suggest you do NOT bring it to skate parties for other people to try at high rotation speeds, as people will end up tossed all over the floor, as with any spinner, and someone could be hurt.

The nominal weight limit is 250 pounds, though I suspect that is pushing it. I am between 145 and 150 pounds. The lady in this video looks heavier - but she said hers made an occasional "clunk".

Based on past experience with turntable bearing devices, you should keep it in the box when not in use, so dust doesn't get into the mechanism.

If all you want to practice is holding a fixed position, like a spiral or arabesque, you might be better off standing on a long Bungi cord or rope with no spinner, ends in hands, because that won't add the extra difficulty of turning.

As discussed in another thread, one of the things I am working on now is standing on one foot with my eyes closed without losing balance. I can do it while gliding on the ice, as long as I am on a sufficiently uncrowded session that it is safe to try. But on dry land, standing still, it is very hard for me. I can't do it holding onto the Bungi cords on this device, or while standing on a rope or bungi. As was discussed in that thread, when my eyes are closed, I lose much of my sense of balance. If I can fix that, maybe it will help me in skating, because I believe it is better to be able to "feel" when we are properly balanced and aligned, even when we can't see it. For the moment, this device will not help with that - the fact that it spins just adds an extra layer of difficulty.

BTW, the device is listed as a "twister", and they probably intend you to use it as an aerobic exercise device, twisting back and forth rather than spinning. I personally found that a bit awkward, but maybe my technique is wrong.

I'm not photogenic, and am too clumsy to include videos of me trying this device. If someone else here is less concerned about such things, perhaps they can.