You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade mounting?!  (Read 2698 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Blade mounting?!
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
Ok so first off these boots were bought second hand on ebay - and they were meant to temporary until my daughters new Risport royal boots came in off backorder and now those RoyalPro boots are on a shelf because of heel spurs and tongue issues (whole other thread).

Anyways - DD is currently wearing these eBay skates again and some of her double toe jumps (mostly toe/lutz) and double loop are well.... a mess. And there is no way it’s a boot problem because her axel and double sal are huge and easily executed, double flip is ok but she sometimes pops the jump because she doesn’t get a good pick. I was ready to change out the blades because I did have another pair of used ones that would work but I think the mounting is either off or was altered for the previous skater. So I’m looking to get opinions and wondering if I should change the blade put or remount just this one. Left boot is fine it’s only the right...

Link to pictures - darker/sealed skate is one in question, lighter skate is another with mounting that worked for DD

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7vj54nmEzYAQSEHC8

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Blade mounting?!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
It's often difficult to get a good reading on position problems with photos, but there appears to be a difference in the lateral position between the two.

a) Is there a skate tech who can take a look at the two pairs to make suggestions? That's probably the best option.

b) If that's not possible, try to remove the permanent screws in the countersunk holes, and experiment with different lateral blade positions. Unfortunately, the screws in the slotted holes for repositioning are not recommended to be used alone for jumps, but perhaps she can get a feel for how the blades perform on moves and spins. If she finds a position better suited for her, then install permanent screws in newly drilled holes. Plugging is recommended for the old holes, but absolutely required if you are drilling right next to an existing hole.

Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »
I'm not an expert on double jumps - can't even do a proper single - but I think you have presented insufficient data.

But we can't really see the details of the blades themselves - e.g., whether the rocker profile is weird (and significant weirdness can be on the scale of hundredths or thousandths of an inch), or they are worn out, because there isn't enough metal left, a less well defined or differently positioned sweet spot, edges that are asymmetric, etc. Nor can we see what was done to modify the footbed, or have any idea what she needs in that way.

She might even just need to get used to the difference in boots and blades.

At the very least, people might need to see a detailed video of her jumping, slowed down, along with her impressions of what is happening. E.g., maybe she is expecting the toe pick to touch at a slightly different time than the current one does.

It is also a question that a good coach familiar with your DD might be able to answer in person better than we can.

You can partly deal with the difference in horizontal offset, if that is a problem, by putting tape under the insole in such a position as to make it feel better balanced.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:00:30 PM »
You need to get an expert to watch your daughter skate and to check the boots and blades. 

Blade misalignment should appear when skating edges.  Difficulty with jumps likely indicates that the toepick is in a different place compared to the previous boot and blade combination.  This is just something where your skater needs time to adjust.  It's not reasonable to expect every pair of boots and blades to have the same toe pick position - for one thing, the toe pick gets closer to the ice when you sharpen the skates. 

If you keep changing a correctly mounted blade, the problems will only get worse.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 12:33:48 PM »
You need to get an expert to watch your daughter skate and to check the boots and blades. 

Blade misalignment should appear when skating edges.  Difficulty with jumps likely indicates that the toepick is in a different place compared to the previous boot and blade combination.  This is just something where your skater needs time to adjust.  It's not reasonable to expect every pair of boots and blades to have the same toe pick position - for one thing, the toe pick gets closer to the ice when you sharpen the skates. 

If you keep changing a correctly mounted blade, the problems will only get worse.
The problem is determining whether the blades are correctly mounted.  With used skates, even if they were correctly mounted for the previous owner, they might not be correctly mounted for the current skater.

If you're really lucky, there is a pro shop on site at a rink, and there is a competent figure skate tech on staff at the pro shop.  He can then view the skater going through actual moves on ice, make a diagnosis, and make needed adjustments.  Many of us are not so lucky.  In which case, the skate tech makes a best guess at the correct mounting by observing the skater walk around the shop floor.  Then further trial adjustments might be needed to optimize actual performance on the ice.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »
I have nothing to add re: mounting.  I agree with the above posters.

I did want to chime in to say, your daughter is ALREADY landing a solid 2S?!  I know she's been skating for a bit now, but it really doesn't seem like its been that long.  She's making fantastic progress.  Congratulations to her (and to you Momma, for being a willing and supportive Momma- I know it's what we do, but it merits recognition nonetheless).

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
Ok so coach shifted the front of the blade and had her skate around and it was much better (no edge drift), just the right side was off. Although I will say the silicone acted like glue and was super difficult to get off so much that her coach was almost maybe throwing some F bombs

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »
Silicone IS glue, so it was doing its job. If you ever want an easier release, treat the bottom of the sole with Sno Seal before the silicone is applied and the blade mounted. It will act as a release agent for the sole.
Bill Schneider

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »
Silicone IS glue, so it was doing its job. If you ever want an easier release, treat the bottom of the sole with Sno Seal before the silicone is applied and the blade mounted. It will act as a release agent for the sole.

The sole was either lacquered or sealed but no one uses silicone for children’s skates around here because they usually outgrow or break them before they would rot out.