You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Got the green light to get full custom boots  (Read 4702 times)

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
Got the green light to get full custom boots
« on: November 28, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »
Crazy thought for someone stuck in Basic 3, right? But my DH and I had a conversation tonight about what we want for Christmas, and it led to a discussion about all I *really* want are properly fitting skates that don't hurt. And *maybe* the nifty custom footbed will help with my pronation issues, too.

I didn't think he'd go for it, but as he's in a similar situation with a guitar he bought a year ago and needs music lessons for, he said he'd much rather I had something to show for the cost instead of spending money on internet games. I've been skating regularly, once a week mostly, for six months, he knows I like it and want to continue, even though I've hit a wall for now.

I've actually been thinking about it for a long time, and gone back and forth on which company to use. Right now I'm thinking Avanta. Also am going to get different blades, Mark IV are in 1/3" increments and mine are slightly too long for my boots. Either Mirage, or MK Galaxy I think. Too bad Wilson doesn't make an entry level blade anymore.

So this will be happening sometime in 2020! Excited to think about it.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Got the green light to get full custom boots
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »
That's great news. I know that you've had a lot of troubles fitting into your stock boots.

I hope that does the trick for you!
Bill Schneider

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
Also am going to get different blades, Mark IV are in 1/3" increments and mine are slightly too long for my boots. Either Mirage, or MK Galaxy I think. Too bad Wilson doesn't make an entry level blade anymore.
Wilson beginner blades have been discontinued for a couple of years now.  But many online sellers still carry old stock in a wide range of sizes, both the older generation beginner blades (such as Majestic, nominally a 7' main rocker) and the newer generation beginner blades (such as Arrow, nominally an 8' main rocker).

At this point you might as well consider an intermediate blade, such as Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro; especially since you are springing for custom boots.  Neither one will cause problems with overblading.  Both are a nominal 7' main rocker vs. the nominal 8' main rocker in your Mark IV; but at this stage of your skating, I don't think it will make any difference.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
Yay!!!  Congrats on the green light for customs.  They are an adventure, but I'm definitely glad I did it.

I second Tstop.  Why not just go with CorAce or MK Profs?  Those are labelled as "intermediate", but considered "beginner"......at least at my club back in the 80's.  Once you were out of rentals, you were on one of those two blades.  I don't think you'll regret it.

HAVE FUN SHOPPING!!!!  And meeting with the bootmakers!!

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
I am wavering a bit on the blades. I know that Coro Ace (and MK Pro?) were often considered beginner blades. I find that even on my very flat Mark IV, I sometimes find my center suddenly out of balance and have to do a quick body correction. I worry a bit that the rocker on the CA is too round for me. Of course, some of that could be that my heels are really high in these boots (extra high with wedging) and in new boots specifically with a lower heel, I'd be fine.

Bill, did you have a picture of the Coro Ace and MK Pro facing each other somewhere?

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
I don't have a photo of them together in the same photo, but I have two separate photos showing each blade in side view.

MK Pro

Ace

Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
It's good that your DH knows what is important! :)

Great!

Just beware - "full custom" boots often don't customize the footbed - which seems to be a lot of your issues.

Also - it is a HUGE deal that you get a first class fitter, trained by the boot maker whose boots you buy. It is worth driving 5 or 6 hours each way, maybe even flying, to find one, or even making an expedition to the factory. With Avanta, a lot of people travel to the factory - Avanta wants you to be fit by a lot different procedure than most boots, by a specifically trained podiatrist - preferably theirs.

I'm speaking as a person who was misfit for full custom boots by someone who had been trained by Reidell, and had excellent references, but had not been trained by the boot maker whose boots I bought. It caused many years of pain, and forced me to learn about modifying boots in major ways. Don't make my mistake!

I know this sounds impractical, and maybe it is, but in many ways it is almost as important that after the boots are made, you go back to the same fitter to make final adjustments. If you can't afford to, go back to the best fitter you can afford.

On most things I economize. I buy discount shoes, and a lot of used stuff; I'd buy used shoes if I could find ones in good condition that come close enough to fitting to use. But full custom skates can really be worth it - if you are fit by the right person.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
Yes, the deal with me getting full customs is that means going to the factory in person to be fitted, whichever bootmaker I choose. DH says I can take all this out of our vacation savings account.

Re: footbed. This is what’s causing pain in my Jacksons. The arch is medium to high and I have flat feet and they are killing me. I quite like the Jackson construction, otherwise. But I fear even in a full custom the arch would still be an issue. Now, Avanta doesn’t do stock boots anymore, just custom. In a last made with a negative cast of your feet, plus the memory foam impression. That sounds to me like they *do* create unique footbeds (insole, whatever you want to call it. The hard bottom of the boot.) Of course I would communicate with them before making an appointment.

I hadn’t thought about needing to go back to the factory when the boots are finished. I’ll gave to think about that.

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
Yes, the deal with me getting full customs is that means going to the factory in person to be fitted, whichever bootmaker I choose. DH says I can take all this out of our vacation savings account.

Re: footbed. This is what’s causing pain in my Jacksons. The arch is medium to high and I have flat feet and they are killing me. I quite like the Jackson construction, otherwise. But I fear even in a full custom the arch would still be an issue. Now, Avanta doesn’t do stock boots anymore, just custom. In a last made with a negative cast of your feet, plus the memory foam impression. That sounds to me like they *do* create unique footbeds (insole, whatever you want to call it. The hard bottom of the boot.) Of course I would communicate with them before making an appointment.

I hadn’t thought about needing to go back to the factory when the boots are finished. I’ll gave to think about that.
I have prescription orthotics for my walking shoes and for my running shoes.  I've been to three podiatrists, two mediocre and one very good.  Even with the very good one, the orthotics needed to be tweaked a couple of times; i.e., sent back to the lab for modifications.  So I strongly suggest that it's better for your boots to have flat fixed insoles, and to correct for your foot conditions with removable orthotics.  Much easier to tweak that way.

Note you simply don't take a cast or laser scan of your feet and make orthotics with matching, complementary contours.  The orthotics need to correct (compensate) for defects in your feet.

Offline masterblaster

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
That's so exciting! I hope it really helps.

I'll be interested to hear how your arches do in customs, since I have similar feet.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 02:44:55 AM »
I am wavering a bit on the blades. I know that Coro Ace (and MK Pro?) were often considered beginner blades. I find that even on my very flat Mark IV, I sometimes find my center suddenly out of balance and have to do a quick body correction. I worry a bit that the rocker on the CA is too round for me.

Don't forget Ultima. My US tech prefers them ... better QC.

Their beginner blades have 8' versions....legacy and protege are the models iir.  I personally wouldn't worry about 7 vs 8' at this point. But know there are options.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
My daughter's custom Riedells compensate for her pronation and flat feet with the design of the boot. She skates in them without any corrective insoles, wedges, shims or such. Actually, she doesn't even use insoles - just the boots and her bare feet.

We went to the factory both for initial measurements and to pick them up. We're having another pair made now, since she has broken hers down, and we will only need to make one trip to go pick them up this time.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 05:00:20 PM »
My daughter's custom Riedells compensate for her pronation and flat feet with the design of the boot. She skates in them without any corrective insoles, wedges, shims or such. Actually, she doesn't even use insoles - just the boots and her bare feet.

We went to the factory both for initial measurements and to pick them up. We're having another pair made now, since she has broken hers down, and we will only need to make one trip to go pick them up this time.

Does Riedell use anything other than manual measurements for their customs? (Avanta has the casting socks and memory foam impressions, and Jackson has that 3D scanning technology).

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Total GOE: 24
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Does Riedell use anything other than manual measurements for their customs? (Avanta has the casting socks and memory foam impressions, and Jackson has that 3D scanning technology).
Nope, no fancy technology for casting just manual measurements along with years of experience. Dan looked very closely at the structure of her feet, listened to all the ways previous boots hurt and then talked to us about what he felt like would fit well and which features she needed. He was spot on with his recommendations and they have worked out very well for her.

I recommend a phone call to each company you're considering and then you can decide who you think is going to be able to build the boot that'll make your feet happy. It seems that everyones' experiences are vastly different, what works for one doesn't work for another. We went with Riedell in part because it's an easy 5 hour drive for us and the other companies would have required airfare. Turns out it was a great decision!

Offline icepixie

• Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »
Congrats!  I highly recommend Avanta.  They fit me when three other brands did not.  Will spent a lot of time on the phone with me.

I believe they do mold the hard footbed to your foot, but they put an insole in there as well, specifically this one: http://www.currexsole.com/US/en/insoles/edgepro.php  I imagine you could tell them not to put one in if you wanted.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Congrats!  I highly recommend Avanta.  They fit me when three other brands did not.  Will spent a lot of time on the phone with me.

I believe they do mold the hard footbed to your foot, but they put an insole in there as well, specifically this one: http://www.currexsole.com/US/en/insoles/edgepro.php  I imagine you could tell them not to put one in if you wanted.

Icepixie, did you get fitted in person at the factory, or did you do it elsewhere/remotely? I have some questions about the process.

Offline icepixie

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
Icepixie, did you get fitted in person at the factory, or did you do it elsewhere/remotely? I have some questions about the process.

I didn't go to the factory, but I got fitted by the former president of the company, who happens to live in my city (and is one of my coaches).  We used the casting socks Avanta sends you.  I started a thread about the process several months ago that has more information, and I can answer other questions here or through private message.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
I didn't go to the factory, but I got fitted by the former president of the company, who happens to live in my city (and is one of my coaches).  We used the casting socks Avanta sends you.  I started a thread about the process several months ago that has more information, and I can answer other questions here or through private message.

Well, my first question is about the materials they're made out of. Are they the newer lightweight materials, or traditional leather? Are they heat molded?

Offline icepixie

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »
Well, my first question is about the materials they're made out of. Are they the newer lightweight materials, or traditional leather? Are they heat molded?

Traditional leather. Yes, they can be heat molded.