You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Crasche bands  (Read 3495 times)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Crasche bands
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:22:43 PM »
Most of y'all know I was wearing a Crasche band after my first (really second) on ice concussion. When I fell in June, I was wearing it and while it didn't prevent a concussion, it lessened the impact. However, I upgraded to (and competed in) a helmet. Not really a big deal--I was used to wearing something on my head and just had to adjust to the chin strap and lower placement of my ponytail.

I was discussing wearing the band instead of the helmet (only while competing) with my husband. He was OK with the idea, but insisted that I get a new one (which makes sense). I ordered one and the next day, Bob called and told me they didn't have the color I wanted in the size I needed, so I needed to call with another color choice.  When I finally got hold of him, I was telling him *why* I needed a new one. He seemed surprised that I sustained a concussion wearing one. I picked a color and thought I was done.

Bob called again the next day. Seems he'd talked to the engineers and they want beef up the padding in the two back inserts and want me to try them out and give feedback, especially about the weight and how (if) it changes the balance, shifts around, or makes it harder to move my head. I hope to not use it for the intended purpose, but am happy to give feedback and really impressed that they stand behind their product and make changes as a result of feedback.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Crasche bands
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »
Very interesting story!

It sounds like they are paying attention to real-world usage and experiences.
Bill Schneider

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
Just out of interest, did the band stay on your head when you fell? I got one a few years ago and it kept sliding off my head when I was skating and when I contacted them to report the problem they weren't interested, and I've since read about several people who's headbands flew off when they fell. I know you got yours fairly recently so wondered if they'd changed the material to something less slippery?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:02:06 AM »
Wow ChristyRN!!! Very nice feedback from them.  Bummer the others didn't experience that, but I'm glad to know they take it seriously!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Just out of interest, did the band stay on your head when you fell? I got one a few years ago and it kept sliding off my head when I was skating and when I contacted them to report the problem they weren't interested, and I've since read about several people who's headbands flew off when they fell. I know you got yours fairly recently so wondered if they'd changed the material to something less slippery?

I can't answer that question--I had a loss of conscious for several hours. It was generally under my high ponytail and stayed put through most normal falls
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »
I used to ride and show horses. Here is why you need a new helmet.
If you crash bad in the helmet, especially if you are unconscious after the crash, the 'padding' will compress and not return to its original compressibility, thus, making it worthless for protection.

I mention the horse riding, because I once was thrown off a horse who refused a jump, thew me over his head and the helmet cracked. I was unconscious for a few minutes, and had short term memory loss (amnesia for about 90 seconds) when I regained consciousness. I threw the helmet away before I was driven to the emergency room.

Just an aside for other readers, don't be cheap with helmets for your kids, don't buy second hand ones or let the kids bang the helmet around with a hammer or other tool. And the helmet has to be firmly tightened under the chin. I look at kids on the ice and 50% or more have the chin strap dangling in a loop under their chin.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
A few hours! OMG. That must have been one tough fall. Something like that would completely scare me away from skating.

I've noticed that some types of helmets provide better protection than others. E.g., some don't cover enough of the head to be all that useful. OTOH, face masks a chin guards (like lacrosse helmets) would probably be seen as awkward overkill by most skaters. The hockey helmets I've seen were pretty good, if you can find one that fits, but they can get hot, and certainly don't look like most peoples' ideas of pretty figure skating attire. I assume the weight could be a problem too.

Some ski helmets are designed for multiple impacts without replacement. They tend to be heavy and warm, and are not stylish.

Do you happen to recall how you fell? The worst falls for the head I have personally seen on the ice were backward falls, in which the person went stiff and their spine stayed straight, instead of relaxing and rounding forward for a safer tuck-and-roll.

If you haven't already, I hope you augment the helmet or Crasche system with gentle fall practice - possibly with the help of a good modern dance teacher.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
If you crash bad in the helmet, especially if you are unconscious after the crash, the 'padding' will compress and not return to its original compressibility, thus, making it worthless for protection.

I mention the horse riding, because I once was thrown off a horse who refused a jump, thew me over his head and the helmet cracked. I was unconscious for a few minutes, and had short term memory loss (amnesia for about 90 seconds) when I regained consciousness. I threw the helmet away before I was driven to the emergency room.

Just an aside for other readers, don't be cheap with helmets for your kids, don't buy second hand ones or let the kids bang the helmet around with a hammer or other tool. And the helmet has to be firmly tightened under the chin. I look at kids on the ice and 50% or more have the chin strap dangling in a loop under their chin.

As a nurse, I realized hubby was right (but don't tell him) after we discussed it. I'm just a stubborn redhead. I simply hadn't thought about it.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
A few hours! OMG. That must have been one tough fall. Something like that would completely scare me away from skating.

I've noticed that some types of helmets provide better protection than others. E.g., some don't cover enough of the head to be all that useful. OTOH, face masks a chin guards (like lacrosse helmets) would probably be seen as awkward overkill by most skaters. The hockey helmets I've seen were pretty good, if you can find one that fits, but they can get hot, and certainly don't look like most peoples' ideas of pretty figure skating attire. I assume the weight could be a problem too.

Some ski helmets are designed for multiple impacts without replacement. They tend to be heavy and warm, and are not stylish.

Do you happen to recall how you fell? The worst falls for the head I have personally seen on the ice were backward falls, in which the person went stiff and their spine stayed straight, instead of relaxing and rounding forward for a safer tuck-and-roll.

If you haven't already, I hope you augment the helmet or Crasche system with gentle fall practice - possibly with the help of a good modern dance teacher.

I have scared my daughters enough that the youngest took her daughter (my granddaughter) out of skating. I think there might be some influence from my older daughter--she hasn't spoken to me since a couple of days after because I refuse to quit.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
I have scared my daughters enough that the youngest took her daughter (my granddaughter) out of skating.
That's really too bad.  I remember you posting a number of years back how excited you were looking forward to skating with your granddaughter.  I'm excited looking forward to skating with my granddaughter ... but I'm still waiting for my daughter and son-in-law to produce her. 88)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »

Interesting. I would always replace a riding helmet after an accident, and have had to replace them over the years to meet changing standards too, but wouldn't have thought about replacing a headband. Definitely something to think about.