You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Dress Repair  (Read 1792 times)

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 9
Skate Dress Repair
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
Hi.  I have a skating dress that I love but after only wearing it twice (once for practice and once in a competition), there are a bunch of tiny, loose rubber threads that are sticking out on the arms and sides of the dress.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this happening?  If so, what did you do about it?  I thought about just trying to cut them off but I'm afraid this will just happen again.  I don't want to get rid of the dress because I really like it and haven't been able to find another dress I like any better.  I thought about trying to exchange it but decided against this b/c I'm hoping to wear this dress in a competition soon and I don't have enough time to get a replacement (no one has it in stock).  Thank You for your Help! 

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Skate Dress Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:34:56 AM »
This is a bummer. I don't know what to tell you off hand, except that I associate this with aging and deterioration of the lycra.  My guess is what has happened, is that the elastic threads have come loose from the seam and are relaxing more than the remainder of the material components.

I don't know what, if anything you can do about it. :(  Fingers crossed someone else has some ideas.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
Is it a commercial or custom made dress? Sounds like either it is older and the fabric is deteriorating or, if it is new, then there may be a flaw in the fabric. If it was custom made, you may be able to contact the dressmaker and see if a repair can be done. If it was a commercial maker, then I would definitely see about returning and exchanging it. It will probably continue to get worse as you continue to wear it.

I know if I had something like this happen to one of my clients, I would say wear the dress for the upcoming competition and then I would fix or replace it. No harm in asking for a solution such as that so you don't have to be without a dress. Hopefully you can get the issue resolved.

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »
This is a bummer. I don't know what to tell you off hand, except that I associate this with aging and deterioration of the lycra.  My guess is what has happened, is that the elastic threads have come loose from the seam and are relaxing more than the remainder of the material components.

I don't know what, if anything you can do about it. :(  Fingers crossed someone else has some ideas.

Yeah the material might be old.  I haven't owned it very long but it's possible the dress had been sitting around in someone's warehouse for a while.  Thanks for your input!

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »
Is it a commercial or custom made dress? Sounds like either it is older and the fabric is deteriorating or, if it is new, then there may be a flaw in the fabric. If it was custom made, you may be able to contact the dressmaker and see if a repair can be done. If it was a commercial maker, then I would definitely see about returning and exchanging it. It will probably continue to get worse as you continue to wear it.

I know if I had something like this happen to one of my clients, I would say wear the dress for the upcoming competition and then I would fix or replace it. No harm in asking for a solution such as that so you don't have to be without a dress. Hopefully you can get the issue resolved.

It was a commercial made dress.  I will probably contact the retailer to see if I can get a replacement dress, I just don't know it they'll allow me to wear it one more time (for the competition) before sending it back to them.  Like you said, no harm in asking.  I hope they are as reasonable as you are with your clients!  It sounds like you'd be an awesome person to work with.  Thanks for your help. 

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
It was a commercial made dress.  I will probably contact the retailer to see if I can get a replacement dress, I just don't know it they'll allow me to wear it one more time (for the competition) before sending it back to them.  Like you said, no harm in asking.  I hope they are as reasonable as you are with your clients!  It sounds like you'd be an awesome person to work with.  Thanks for your help.

I was just going to suggest you ask for the resolution that DressmakingMomma suggested (and yes, she sounds like an awesome dressmaker to work with), unless the retailer can find you a replacement dress within your timeframe. Maybe they can expedite the replacement but surely they wouldn't expect you to find another dress in such a short timeframe. Good luck

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
I was just going to suggest you ask for the resolution that DressmakingMomma suggested (and yes, she sounds like an awesome dressmaker to work with), unless the retailer can find you a replacement dress within your timeframe. Maybe they can expedite the replacement but surely they wouldn't expect you to find another dress in such a short timeframe. Good luck

I think that's a good idea to ask the retailer f I can wear it one more time!  I can try to clip these off.  I don't want to take a chance on a replacement not arriving on time!  Thanks for your input! 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
I've seen that "fraying" on very-old stretch fabric that is past its prime (it also gets dusty) and on lycra that has been overheated, like in a dryer or with an iron.  Just a thought.  You can trim them with the tool fabric stores sell to remove pills from sweaters, but if it's near a seam, it means the seam area doesn't stretch much.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »
I've seen that "fraying" on very-old stretch fabric that is past its prime (it also gets dusty) and on lycra that has been overheated, like in a dryer or with an iron.  Just a thought.  You can trim them with the tool fabric stores sell to remove pills from sweaters, but if it's near a seam, it means the seam area doesn't stretch much.

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the material is old too.  That's a good idea about using the tool you suggested, I don't know the name of it but I know exactly the tool you're talking about!  Thank you for your help!