You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bit depressed about ongoing boot issues  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Bit depressed about ongoing boot issues
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
The problem is, they are higher volume than I was expecting, and my boots are feeling tighter now.

You did remove the old insoles to make space first, right?

I think you are picky enough that you will finally get around to making your own insoles, or playing with tape. If the new insoles almost work except for tightness, that might give you a good start on how to shape your own first try.

Hey gals, I'm curious - what do gals do to make open fashion shoes fit? It seems like tape, or an inserted insole, would be too visually obvious. Given the high heels and lack of ankle support, fit must be paramount, right? Can you glue in a custom insole, maybe with a leather top the same color as the shoe, and still make it look good? Would that be enough?

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 12:05:36 AM »
Yes, I removed the Jackson insoles. LOL. There's no way the superfeet would have fit on top of them. It's odd that the black are supposedly low volume like the yellow, but they are definitely more cushioned.

I think what I'm doing is considered making your own. Using something with a hard underside like the superfeet I think actually saves some work. It will automatically shift the heel over whatever you have underneath (the furniture moving discs I'm using to make wedges) instead of allowing the heel to sink down (like they were with the Jackson insoles that are only dense foam with no rigid underside).

Interesting observation. My knees had begun to bother me about two months ago. This session is the first time that my knees are not hurting at all after. Seems like I'm doing something right!

Offline masterblaster

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
I also had (minor) knee pain after skating that went away after a few months. I assume it was all those muscles around the knee getting stronger, so that is a good sign!

Have you had any blade adjustments? I do kind of wonder whether it might make a bigger difference than insoles for you.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
I also had (minor) knee pain after skating that went away after a few months. I assume it was all those muscles around the knee getting stronger, so that is a good sign!

Have you had any blade adjustments? I do kind of wonder whether it might make a bigger difference than insoles for you.

That's my next step. I'm pleased that the wedging seems to have some effect, but I've been studying my leg and foot, and I'm pretty sure moving the blade is necessary. Planning to see the tech on Saturday.

Offline Suzy-Sunshine

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
Looks like there is progress being made here and lots of good techniques for dealing with foot issues I’ve never known before. Great discussion!

For anyone following along for the info, my two skaters pronate and have high arches actually. We ended up with a solution that might benefit others...we found some reasonably priced heat moldable insoles. They had been using some “dress shoe insoles” that we actually use in our everyday shoes but I wanted to get a more precise fit for them. We settled on the SOLE insoles. They have some hiking varieties available at REI so you can go check them out, but we ordered the performance insoles online. They are both wear moldable and heat moldable and work very well to counteract pronation for both my skaters.

When my kiddos got new heat moldable skates they started with these inside and molded them at the same time as the boots. They been working fabulously for about 3 months and I’m about to evaluate their wear/breakdown in the next couple of weeks. Don’t want to dig them out after they’ve set in comfortably. Lol.

They both have taken out the Jackson insole and added the edea super thin impact absorbing insole under the SOLE. I feel a lot more comfortable with their insole being molded in their skates. Plus, since the company states they are also “wear moldable” I feel like they’ll adjust to how the foot moves within the skate more so than a simply ridged one we’ve previously used.

Also, my DH likes to hike and got a different variety for his hiking boots. He has rather flat feet however, and still likes them. He decided to wear them around to “wear mold them” His feedback is that they are indeed moldable and very comfortable.

I’m glad to hear of some more perspectives on this since it will be an ongoing issue for us. I do want to add one more thing from my sisters input. She is a PT/OT and she mentioned that we should not overcorrect in one area only. That is make sure that we don’t super correct with insoles in the skate when we can make a series of corrections through the system of boot, blade, etc. She also said it could be detrimental to only correct for for problems in their skates and not their every day shoes. They wear less expensive insoles in their everyday shoes now as well.

HTH

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

I’m glad to hear of some more perspectives on this since it will be an ongoing issue for us. I do want to add one more thing from my sisters input. She is a PT/OT and she mentioned that we should not overcorrect in one area only. That is make sure that we don’t super correct with insoles in the skate when we can make a series of corrections through the system of boot, blade, etc. She also said it could be detrimental to only correct for for problems in their skates and not their every day shoes. They wear less expensive insoles in their everyday shoes now as well.
HTH

There's someone else on here who's said they believe in a combination of moderate modifications to insole/blade alignment/shimming to correct issues rather than a single extreme modification. I admit I really kind of hate the idea of having to do anything at all to the blade, but here I am. Hoping to avoid shimming though.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
Could this be a biomechanical issue further up the body in addition to foot/skate issues?  I.e., you have weakness in your glutes/thighs/core causing you to lean to the inside when you're on one foot?  If so, strengthening the affected muscles with the help of a physical therapist may be helpful.

I remember having to really work to do one foot glides at first, though not as hard as it sounds like you are.  The culprit was weak butt and core muscles.  (I had the Trendelenburg gait going on.)  That's not to say getting your skates right shouldn't be priority one, but if this is an issue, doing some work on it may help.

....I walk like that sometimes, I've noticed. Usually when I'm tired or sore. Hmmmm.