You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating dress and clear bra straps showing  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
Skating dress and clear bra straps showing
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
I bought a skating dress for a basic skills competition in February. (This is going to be my first competition :sweat).
Is it okay for clear bra straps to show? I'm not large-busted, but I would feel more modest wearing one. This is the one I'm planning on getting this bra. http://www.dancerland.com/Padded-Deep-V-Bra-Clear-Back-Clear-Straps-BW-287-p/287.htm
BTW I'm not wearing the dress in the photos

Front of dress- http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/5254848423_d321b8e1ac.jpg

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Skating dress and clear bra straps showing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »
Out on the ice, the straps will hardly show at all.  That's the point of them being clear.  Someone might see a little extra shine if the light hits right, but that's all.  If you criss cross the straps like they are in the picture, they'll pretty much match the dress and I doubt anyone will notice them.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Does anyone have experience with that bra? I've wanted to try one, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if it will be enough...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
You can also add a sew-in strapless bra front to a purchased dress if you just want a bit of modesty/coverage.  Fabric stores sell them for less than $12.  You could use small safety spins to fix it in place instead of sewing it in permanently.

Side Note: I was in Joann's Fabrics today and they are having a half-off sale on all notions.  In addition to sewing notions, like pins, needles, bobbins, thimbles, etc., it also included an entire wall rack of "dressing notions."  There were replacement clear bra straps, clear strap cushions, invisible body tape, bra cups/bra panels, and lots of other clever things.  I must have stood there for 10 minutes checking everything out.  I never noticed that panel before, but I couldn't think of anything I really needed but I wanted to mention it to our members.

Back on topic: Love the twisted back straps of that dress!  It's a great look for that model's very-broad shoulders and tiny hips.  Really emphasizes the "V" bodyline in a flattering way.

My oldest DD used to have a similar bra for a Show Choir dress.  She said the plastic strap in the back made her sweat and itch, but it was invisible.  They were in costume for hours, performing multiple times during each show, which is different from skating a short Basic Skills program.  Just a little info.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
We found a bra in a dance store that had a "different" kind of clear strap. Instead of the "shiny" effect it was matte and sort of textured; it blended in so well that you had to get really close to see it.  It was a bit wider than the shiny plastic one too, thus, a bit more comfortable.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Love the idea of sew-in strapless! I've always found strapless very unsecure even if they claim it to be "biofit".

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Out of curiosity, are you worried about modesty because you don't want to be "pointing" at everybody in the cold, or are you more worried about "the girls" bouncing around everywhere?  (If the former, those silicone petals will do it for you, is why I ask...if the latter, yep, you'll need a bra.)

I've actually thought of buying one of those clear-strap dance bras for everyday wear...you know the issue where in the summer you want to wear a tank top but don't want your bra straps hanging out?  (I got like no boobs, so technically I can get away with no bra and just the silicone petals, but sometimes you just wanna wear one, y'know?)

As far as sweating under the plastic...yeah, that's a concern.  Ugh, they'd stick!  But maybe you could put a bit of baby powder in the area under the straps to try to keep that from happening?

Side Note: I was in Joann's Fabrics today and they are having a half-off sale on all notions.  In addition to sewing notions, like pins, needles, bobbins, thimbles, etc., it also included an entire wall rack of "dressing notions."  There were replacement clear bra straps, clear strap cushions, invisible body tape, bra cups/bra panels, and lots of other clever things.  I must have stood there for 10 minutes checking everything out.  I never noticed that panel before, but I couldn't think of anything I really needed but I wanted to mention it to our members.
Yes, I've seen that section too!  And I did the same as you: "whoa, look at THAT!" for a long time, lol.
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."