You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skates!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline maddieonice

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
New skates!
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Hello!

I got the Jackson Freestyle boots about 7 months ago but about 3 months into skating in them my heel started slipping so I went to the pro-shop about month ago to have them looked at and some how I had managed to break them down in 3 months. They said I could keep skating in them if I used a Bunga pad.
They want to put me in a higher level boot, specifically the Jackson Premieres, but I have two questions..
(Ive been skating for about 8 1/2 months and I'm starting my axel and double sal, I skate about 3-5 times a week during the school year and 6-7 times a week during the summer)

1. If I managed to break down the freestyles (stiffness rating of 45) in 3 months should I be put in a stiffer boot than the premieres (stiffness of 65) so I don't have to get a new boot every 6/7 months or should I go with what they reccomend?

2. Some of my friends had issues with the heel slipping with the freestyles, so they purchased new boots in the same size and width but still ended up having the heel issue. Finally they opted for the semi-custom split width option jackson offers and they no longer had an issue with the heel slipping, should I consider looking into the split widths as well or is my heel issue truly just because my skates broke down?

Thanks! :)

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: New skates!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:41:35 AM »
2. Some of my friends had issues with the heel slipping with the freestyles, so they purchased new boots in the same size and width but still ended up having the heel issue. Finally they opted for the semi-custom split width option jackson offers and they no longer had an issue with the heel slipping, should I consider looking into the split widths as well or is my heel issue truly just because my skates broke down?
Leave the decision on split widths up to Jackson.  The skate tech should take measurements and tracings of your feet and send them off to Jackson, who will decide the best sizing for you.  There will be an extra charge if you need a semi-custom split width, so check out what that is so there won't be any surprises.  But remember: advanced Jackson models (those specified as made on the Elite last; that includes the Premiere) are split width in stock boots already (heel one width narrower than toe); semi-custom split widths are needed if you have a greater disparity.

Online tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
1. If I managed to break down the freestyles (stiffness rating of 45) in 3 months should I be put in a stiffer boot than the premieres (stiffness of 65) so I don't have to get a new boot every 6/7 months or should I go with what they reccomend?
I would suggest you at least ask your coach and skate tech about the Elite 5200 (assuming your feet are no longer growing, the extra initial cost may be worth it). Its nominal stiffness rating is 75.  How much stiffer in practice that is than a 65, I don't know.  I'm an adult male and I've been skating in the previous generation of Elite Suede (nominal stiffness rating 80) for the past 2+ yrs.  I don't jump at all these days (most I ever did was waltz and half flip).  I concentrate on edge work and spins.  No problems with break in; no problems with them being overly stiff.  As you advance up the model line, you generally get a better fit and extra comfort features as well as a more sturdy design. 

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
I would suggest you at least ask your coach and skate tech about the Elite 5200 (assuming your feet are no longer growing, the extra initial cost may be worth it). Its nominal stiffness rating is 75.  How much stiffer in practice that is than a 65, I don't know.  I'm an adult male and I've been skating in the previous generation of Elite Suede (nominal stiffness rating 80) for the past 2+ yrs.  I don't jump at all these days (most I ever did was waltz and half flip).  I concentrate on edge work and spins.  No problems with break in; no problems with them being overly stiff.  As you advance up the model line, you generally get a better fit and extra comfort features as well as a more sturdy design.

I'm at about the level of OP and I have the 5200.  I love love love them.  They were more than worth the cost.  So, I guess I'm seconding this recommendation :)

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
If you're on your double sal, the Freestyles are below your level already. Definitely you'll need a stiffer boot.

I'm on Freestyles, doing waltz jumps, <100lbs, and it's the right stiffness for me.